Experience with Dayi 6x17 Cameras

aeturnum

Established
Local time
5:32 AM
I've been thinking about getting a 6 x 17 pano camera to compliment my XPan. Most options (fuji G617, Linhoff, Horseman) lack the ability to swap between film backs and ground glass mid-roll. According to the dealer I emailed, the Dayi 6 x 17 film back has a dark side.

It seems that Dayi is one of several chinese brands available largely through third parties in the west. Their products are offered on ebay or the troublingly-similar-to-b&h bhcamera.us website.

Does anyone have any experience with their cameras (or the 6x17 in particular)? I see some questions on flickr groups (dayi 6x17, 6x12 and wider), but they are concentrated on the 4x5 roll film back.

I just bought a Linhof 612, and I was choosing between that and a Horseman SW612. The SW612 has a removable back, although perhaps 6x12 isn't what you're after.

Never used a Dayi, but I have used the very similar Gaoersi, which although the build is not what you'd call graceful, it's was 100% functional, and of course a more for your money than Linhof etc.

I've also had a couple of Fotomans, a 6x9 and a 4x5, both nice cameras.

I think if I had my time again, I'd be tempted with the Horseman SW612, a bit cheaper than a Linhof, and looks a bit smaller too (at least width-ways). Also the Horseman backs have a thumb wind lever, rather than a knob on top.

I had a DaYi 6x17 which I regrettably sold when I needed money for something else.
Don't we all do that mistake once in a while?

The DaYi is a great camera, heavy and build like a tank. The model I sold had a nice 20mm front rise, not sure any of the other panoramic cameras have that feature.
Extra cones and backs are a little expensive but was readily available when I had mine.
I would not hesitate to buy one again.

This isn't necessarily answering your specific question, but...

I've had the DaYi 6x17 back for 4x5 cameras, which I didn't like. I then got a Horseman 612 back, which is really nice but I preferred the ~3:1 aspect ratio of 617. Now I have a Shen Hao 617, which is a fantastic camera.

I never considered any of the "cone"-style 6x17 cameras. I find the concept limiting and also expensive, not to mention seamingly unwieldy in the field and with too many things to carry, compared to just a bellows-focusing camera. The DaYi back would've been fine if all I shot was a 90mm lens, but I wanted to do more. The Horseman I kept because it was small and easy to throw in an extra slot in my bag if I don't want to take the full 617 camera, and I've begun using it with 35mm film which is a lot of fun (like the LOMO Sprocket Rocket, but not crappy lenses).

The key thing about the Shen Hao is folded up, it fits right into my bag. I can carry both it and my Chamonix 45n1, or Linhof Tech if I'm shooting that, with a variety of lenses and a days worth of film, in my large bag. Every time I shoot with just one or the other camera, I of course find compositions that work with the camera I don't have...I've been trying to take both because of this. If I had a cone system camera, I doubt I'd be able to do this.

If you only shoot a couple of focal lengths it might work just fine for you though.

I had a Fotoman 6x17, then I sold it and now have a SH PTB617. The SH is a lot more flexible.

I have never taken both my 4x5 and the 6x17 out together, but the lens can be shared and it's a nice thought...

I had not heard of the Shen Hao PTB 617, and I agree that it looks like the best of both worlds. The ability to fold up and carry seems especially useful. Good to know that Dayi is also a quality brand.

I have a DAYI 6x12 back for 4x5. It is very basic, but works as intended. Heavy beast, can't see it breaking in the next 100 years.

Back