Fan Ho

He was an incredible photographer. San Francisco Airport's Art Department once had an exhibit of his work
in the terminal that I worked in. I spent many of my coffee and lunch breaks looking at the prints. Thanks for
posting this.

Fan Ho is still represented here in the Bay Area by Themes and Projects where you can buy reprints of most of his books.
They also used to have a permanent gallery room of his prints (that was a few years ago and I don't know if they still have it up) that you could buy too.

www.themesandprojects.com

I only discovered Fan Ho on a trip to Hong Kong in 2017. At the large Taiwan-based bookshop eslite, there was a table with piles of his books. What a photographer. The sense of depth and texture, his understanding of light and shapes, it's like looking at a canvas painted by a master. There is a shop in Hong Kong that sells books with his signature, but with naturally much higher prices.

I have long admired the man. If I recall correctly, he used the same Rolleiflex throughout his still photography period. He worked his magic in the darkroom. He's one of those people I respect enormously.

Back