Fastest Speed of All 4x5/9x12 TLR Sinar Norma

Love the Norma’s, I think they are the prettiest of the Sinar family.

I agree. A camera that a machinist would love. Not much heavier than the F+ but in many ways as precise to use as the P. And you can't take a P into the field but I'll guess some do. I have chosen to equip my studio with Normas.

360 Symmar Norma Auto Iris Pair by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's the Sinar Norma 360mm f5.6 chrome barrel Auto Iris Symmar Plasmat Matched Pair. This is setup at portrait distance, notice how the lenses go further apart for similar views. Awesome on the ground glass, I'm going to enjoy using this one. I use a Norma Compendium Hood with four adjustable blinders to reduce internal flare, this lens covers a humungeous amount. What a view :)

Purchased the original Sinar pan/tilt head recently.
There's nothing like it (except the Leland copy).

I just received one of the Luland Sinar Pan Tilts. Not as rough and tough as the Sinar but should be OK. Bought it to use on this camera actually

Norma Twin Lens Pairs 300 Comm Ektar f6.3 210mm f6.8 Angulon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Just today picked up two new lenses for making matched pairs. Got them this morning, meeting the dealer at a local camera auction

On the left, the 12" 305mm f6.3 Kodak Commercial Ektars. The upper one is the new one, wonder why they stripped the paint off the front retaining ring?

On the right, a Norma pair of 210mm Schneider Angulons. The bottom lens has a huge crack/chip in the front glass, but it has no effect as a viewing lens. Only using the very sweet center of this giant Dagor type. The lens was only $100 so I'm glad I found it :) Any original Norma lens with mickey mouse rabbit ears is relatively rare and in my mind collectable

Images checked on ground glass with my printers loupe and they are all keepers

What makes it fast???

There are Norma lenses, that integrate with the Norma Automatic Shutter by means of coiled metal cables with quick disconnects. You preset the desired aperture, using the mickey mouse automatic iris Norma lensboard setup. So you're composing and viewing at full aperture with the taking f/stop dialed in. Ready to take the shot? Simply insert the film holder (up to 8x10), and the automated cables close the shutter, and the preselected aperture is set by the auto iris mechanism. Pull the dark slide and actuate the shutter using the metal coiled shutter release. Pretty quick compared to most view cameras. With the "Rapid Adapter" it's 6x6/6x9 roll film there is an automated "shutter" in the back, also integrating with the automatic shutter, no darkslides needed. Medium format cameras normally do not have perspective control or interchangeability of optics like the "construction unit" Sinars

With the twin lens you can have the slide pulled in the holder and still view and review the image close to how it appears during the actual exposure. Subject sits down, bang away with reflex continuous viewing. Not bad for a view camera.
Yes it is faster than the old fashioned way.

Richard Avedon used the 8x10 Norma in his studio for action! commercial fashion large format. The advantages at that time must have been obvious

Over the weekend I made 13x18cm test negatives on Fuji HRU XRAY, all of which I managed to scratch. The emulsion is so delicate, very frustrating. Perhaps Kodak 3 1/2 gallon deep tanks is the way to go with this stuff.

So I switched to 5x7 Ilford Ortho Commercial and finally got a nice clean negative. I cut this down from 8X10 sheets. Used twin 240mm Componons, shot wide open at F5.6 and exposure (250W halogen modeling light in Broncolor Pulso Softbox) was four seconds, timed with the Sinar Automatic Shutter. Processed in a tray under super deep red safelight with straight Microdol-X.

5x7 Sinar Norma Twin Lens HRU Ortho+Mic-X by Nokton48, on Flickr

Left is Ilford Commercial Ortho+ 5x7 Schneider 240mm f5.6 chrome Componon Sinar Norma Shutter 4 seconds. Lighting was 45 left Broncolor Pulso Softbox in close. Ambient lighting 250W modeling lamp only no flash. Silver fill panel 45 left just off camera. Shooting wide open with 5x7 Sinar Norma early version film holders. 5x7 Sinar Norma SInarsix TTL metering unit reads any bellows draw and filter factors, including any internal bellows flare with big lenses this can be considerable. Reading a grey card under actual lighting is what Sinarsix calls "the direct method". Most simple method to do TTL quite accurate. 103mm Yellow-green Sinar Norma glass disc added

Right is 5x7 Fuji HRU XRay film 1/2 second F5.6 Schneider 240mm f5.6 Componon wide open. Sinar Norma Automatic Shutter. Also with yellow green 103mm Sinar Norma glass disc

Good to have a choice of negatives.

4x5 Twin Lens Sinar Norma Binocular Reflex Magnifier by Nokton48, on Flickr

I repaired my Sinar Norma Binocular Magnifier, the interior front surface mirror shattered. I ordered an exact measured replacement on Ebay for $25, and installed it very carefully with JB Weld. Good as new now and it's preferred by me for the viewing (bottom) lens on the 4x5 Norma Twin Lens. A Norma 4x5 Bag Bellows and Norma Monocular go on the taking (top) lens. Easy to switch back and forth between top and bottom lens, and it's very comfortable as well as hands-free which is important. I added the elastic Sinar Band and it holds the Binocular Reflex Viewfinder tightly against the rear standard. I have some portrait sessions coming up and I think I will go with this setup for now. Here I am viewing my test stand-in test dummy using the 250mm Imagon pair with H5.8 disc petals closed. So a central stop minimizing the "Imagon Effect". It's a lovely lens I have not used enough in the past.

Balloon Head Impact 41 4x5 Norma TLR 250 Imagon by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here I have switched out the Pulso Hazylight for the Broncolor Impact 41 with "Balloon Head". Totally -shadowless- utterly soft lighting. Notice the new Viewing System on the 4x5 TLR. Norma Monocular Bellows on top, Reflex Binocular Sinar on the bottom. This camera is now a true in every way TWIN LENS -REFLEX- 4x5. Viewing the image right side up through the bottom lens, and being able to move the mirror around to scrutinize every mm of the viewing screen, is a great luxury. This works GOOD very direct super user friendly studio portrait camera. I made two more exposures Impact 41 set at 1/4 power, f5.6 on FM2 incident flash meter. Yellow green filter added, so exposures on Fuji HR-U of, 2 pops, and bracketed also for four pops at H5.8 on the 250 Imagon taking lens. I know you are supposed to use sharp pincer-type lighting with Imagons, but I am breaking some rules here. Looks cool on the ground glass, can't wait to develop it hopefully later today.

PARAGON Loupe by Pitman Co 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Easy to see all the edges and corners at 10X with the PARAGON by Pitman Co. I used to use one of these when I worked in a Color Separation House. Great for viewing film or groundglass. Bought well used on Ebay for $25. Available brand new around $55.

PARAGON Loupe by Pitman Co 2 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here fine focusing the top (taking lens) of my 4x5 TLR Sinar Norma.

Richard Avedon used the 8x10 Norma in his studio for action! commercial fashion large format. The advantages at that time must have been obvious

Dan,

In the 70's MOMA had a big Richard Avedon retrospective. There were these life sized portraits of celebs shot with an 8x10.

Were these shot with a Norma?

Most iconic shot of the exhibition was of Andy Warhol pulling up his shirt to display the bullet hole scars from when "Viva" a groupie of his caught him in an elevator and unloaded a 38 into him.

Cal

It's been mentioned by his long time Studio Manager (I believe), that the Manager talked Avedon into the advantages of the Norma automation early on. So at least sometimes, the answer is Yes. Of course he also used the 8x10 Deardorff and the 360mm Symmar. Same lens I just snagged from Igor with the Mickey Mouse Auto Iris automation.

My Wife and I saw a giant color print on display in a local Museum by Annie Leibowitz. It was really something, she photographed his equipment storage area. There was set up to go an 8x10 Norma Rear Standard with a more modern Front Standard. I always thought that was an unusual combination but obviously it was working for him :)

Back