FE2 Battery Life?

Deep Fried

Established
Local time
11:49 PM
I have an FE2 body that I put fresh cells into over a year ago (maybe 2 years...). I think I shot two rolls and then it has sat on a shelf. I picked it up the other day and cells are dead. I have very little experience with Nikon film bodies. I have owned 3 Pentax K1000 and batteries lasted seemingly forever. Do I have a problem with the body, or do they suck batteries while sitting? Just wondering what is normal. It was stored with a body cap on and advance lever pushed in.

I have two FE2s that I have owned since about 1987 or so. I would say that is fairly consistent with the battery life I get. I can shoot a lot of rolls on a fresh battery, but sitting on the shelf they are apt to go dead in a year or two. batteries only have a certain shelf life. And maybe the camera drains it a bit when sitting idle, I'm not sure about that.

Don't know about the specific model, but it is not a brand issue as you are alluding to. I had a NIKON FE for more than 20 years and I only recall replacing battery 2-3 times. My M6 on the other hand is on its 3rd set after only 6 months (mostly because i forget to set the shutter dial to B when I store the wound camera in my bag).

I have an FE2 also. I have noticed that if the camera goes unused, I get about 2 yrs of life from fresh batteries. When I was using the camera often, the batteries seemed to last longer.

Thanks gents. Puts my mind at ease

Shot the K1000's in University many years ago. I was given the first by my Dad who bought it at a garage sale for five bucks. I shot it all through art school and never changed the batteries it had in it. I sold it maybe a year ago and that same set of batteries still ran the meter. That was over 15 years on the same battery. So, that is what I'm comparing to! That K had a needle that moved, and nothing else. I guess there is a difference in power usage depending on model.

Jeff

There is another difference between the FE2 and K1000 that may also account for slightly more battery drain with the FE2. The FE2 has an electronic shutter and the K1000 has a mechanical one. The best lasting battery I have found for the FE/FM series is one 3V CR 1/3N Lithium. They also have a longer shelf life than either the silver oxide or alkaline types. Much better in the cold too for that matter.

Bob

this thread reminded me that I want a black FE2 - will have to look for one this upcomming weekend. FE was by far my favorite SLR camera but my FE died from a defective FRE and many FE's suffer from or develops that problem.

*bump* after 8 years dormant. But the info is still valid.

No one above said what kind of batteries they installed that were going dead after a couple years. If alkaline, (2xLR44) I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

If silver oxide (2xSR44) I'd be a bit surprised.

If lithium (1/3N) I would be very surprised.

Please post your experiences, including battery chemistry.

I have an FE, not an FE2. I think I last installed a set of silver oxide batteries around 2011 or 2012, so I'm going on nine years of battery life. I think I've shot around 20–25 rolls during that time.

I put a new silver oxide battery in my K1000 I picked up over the summer in 2018 and that one is still going strong as well, although I have only shot about three rolls with it so far.

If lesson one is to carry spare batteries, lesson two is to remove the batteries from the camera if you are going to store it for more than a month or two.

Back