Fed / Yashica - rangefinder suggest

rafmorgue

Local time
4:51 PM
Hi,

I have a Yashica rangefinder (Minister 700) and I'm looking to improve my equipment. Do you think a Soviet rangefinder is a better option? (I'm thinking on a Fed-2 with Industar 26).

On the same range of prices, do you prefer Soviet or Japanese rangefinder?

Thanks to all!

Now, don't get me wrong, I bloody love the FED 2, but I don't know if that's a step up - more of a step sideways.

You'd be gaining interchangeable lenses, but losing the built-in lightmeter. You're also taking a step-down in terms of optics (the I-26 is probably the worst-performing of the various Soviet "LTM" lenses), and running headlong into the messy issue of "how many idiots have tinkered with this camera and lens over the last 70 years", which Soviet cameras are particularly affected by. There's also the further problem of the fact FEDs aren't cross-compatible with "true" LTM cameras like the Leicas, Canons, Niccas, etc., so whatever you buy in the FED/Zorki world would need to be replaced if you upgraded further later on.

Don't let me put you off - the FED 2 is a great camera and a solid experience (although I'd replace the I-26 with a collapsible Industar 22, personally), but if you were looking for a definite improvement over the Yashica, I'd look elsewhere.

If you have the budget for it, a late Leotax or Nicca with a lever wind would be my choice, personally. They're not quite as pricy as the Leica options, but a damn sight nicer to use than either the Soviet rangefinders or the Canons.

At a lower budget, you've got the Kievs - a bit more esoteric to use than the FED 2, but the lenses are cheaper than the FED equivalents and are much less likely to have been tinkered with over the years. You can also use them on Leicas later with an adapter or on a Contax body without issue, which is something you can't really say about the LTM versions.

I have and use 4 Soviet Barnacks (1 Zorki 1 and 3 Fed 1s) and two Canon Barnacks (IV and IVS). I like them all but the quality and features are certainly better with the Canons.

If you want to want to stick with a fixed lens rangefinder with metering, and don't mind it being aperture preferred, then look to the newer Yashica models, such as the Electro series (G, GS/GSN, GT/GTN, MG-1, GL, or CC/CCN). See info for these at Yashica Electro 35 & Rangefinder camera user Homepage (yashica-guy.com)

As for the FED/Zorki offerings, well like everyone says you can find a lot of duds before you get one that works right. Once you get one that is sorted out though they can be a joy to use. However, you could get a Contax IIa (German made by Zeiss Ikon) and a brace of Soviet lenses to keep the overall price down. Slap on one of those Voigtlander meter clones and you're good to go.

PF

I can't comment on the Yashica to FED change simply because I sold my one (Yashica) years ago and have forgotten it.

Luckily I have a couple of FED 2's and can comment on them. Obviously the first point to make is that like all cameras from that era you will have to search for one and rely on the sellers' description; so be prepared and choose carefully. Luckily FED 2's have a good reputation and many members of this forum love them. Better still, if any attention is needed it will not cost you a fortune. FWIW my two have never needed any attention and I have had one of them for a decade or two. I am assuming it hasn't had the attention of one of those idiots who thinks any fool can repair cameras or - worse still - likes to take them to bits and can't put them back again; I blame forums for this silly behaviour.

My advice when looking for one is to go for one with the lens and caps and an instruction book. All can be bought one by one but all in one package suggests a careful previous owner. And buying these parts one by one is very expensive. Don't pay a fortune for one; prices are usually very reasonable - some would say dirt cheap - nothing like prices for Japanese ones.

As for the cameras and lenses, the FED 2 is a carefully designed and nicely made camera. Everything you need is there in the right place and simple to operate. The designers avoided a lot of mistakes made one one or two far more expensive cameras and left out nothing important. Look at the position of the flash socket, the film loading and the take-up spool for example. I own several renown cameras that are very poorly designed in those areas; many would say over designed for no good reason.

The Industar 26's are good lenses, I cannot fault mine and have used them on my M9 with an adapter. Talking of adapters; a ⅜" to ¼" one for the tripod thread may be needed but only for use on a tripod or with a flash bracket. And you might like to thank about a hot shoe adapter; they are also useful to get better positioning of those little meters that fit the accessory shoe.

Regards, David

Back