Ferrania P30 in 120 format on the way

Mackinaw

Think Different
Local time
8:07 PM
Not an April Fool's joke. Ferrania just revamped their website and will make an announcement tomorrow, April 2nd, about a "new product" they will soon make available. Looking at their home page, I noticed these boxes of 120 P30 scattered among the 35mm version. That's my guess as to their new product.

ferrania 120.jpg

Jim B.

Another rumor is they are introducing a 50 ISO Ortho film. I guess we find out tomorrow.
That would be exciting.

I'm still waiting on the E6 film that the Kickstarter originally promised all those years ago. I think I've shot maybe two rolls of colour film in the last decade, but I'd break that trend if we got some fresh slide film out of Ferrania.

Hopefully this batch develops to a proper exposure-density curve so that darkroom printers can work with it.

Marty

That would be exciting.

I'm still waiting on the E6 film that the Kickstarter originally promised all those years ago. I think I've shot maybe two rolls of colour film in the last decade, but I'd break that trend if we got some fresh slide film out of Ferrania.
Unfortunately, I think that ship has sailed. But as a dedicated color reversal shooter, it sure would be nice to have more options!

i've gotten a couple of rolls of 120 P30 and played with it a bit. It's been long enough since I experimented with it in 35mm that I don't remember if it was also like this, but I'm finding that despite their insistence that it be shot at box speed, it really feels like a much slower film. In either xtol or rodinal, areas that should be retaining significant shadow detail are absolutely clear film, and then beyond a certain point it becomes quite dense. I feel like exposing it at 25 or 32 and developing it for lower contrast might be worthwhile but I'm not sure how many rolls of it I want to go through figuring out its properties. As is it's an ok effect for when you want entirely black shadows and are scanning, but it would be a real bear for darkroom printing.

i've gotten a couple of rolls of 120 P30 and played with it a bit. It's been long enough since I experimented with it in 35mm that I don't remember if it was also like this, but I'm finding that despite their insistence that it be shot at box speed, it really feels like a much slower film. In either xtol or rodinal, areas that should be retaining significant shadow detail are absolutely clear film, and then beyond a certain point it becomes quite dense. I feel like exposing it at 25 or 32 and developing it for lower contrast might be worthwhile but I'm not sure how many rolls of it I want to go through figuring out its properties. As is it's an ok effect for when you want entirely black shadows and are scanning, but it would be a real bear for darkroom printing.
I've already shot several rolls of 120 P30. I shoot it as EI 25 and have processed in D96 1+1. An example, in direct sunlight.

fer5.jpg

Jim B.

I've already shot several rolls of 120 P30. I shoot it as EI 25 and have processed in D96 1+1. An example, in direct sunlight.

View attachment 4824412

Jim B.
Thanks for confirming - this looks great and much more like I'd expect from the descriptions of the film. Good shadow detail, highlight contrast retained, etc. I wonder why they insist on it being an ISO 80 film.

Thanks for confirming - this looks great and much more like I'd expect from the descriptions of the film. Good shadow detail, highlight contrast retained, etc. I wonder why they insist on it being an ISO 80 film.
Marketing! Think of shooting an ISO 25 film with, say, a 25A filter under cloudy conditions in a medium format camera whose max aperture is almost always no more than f/2.8 or f/3.5. Most shooters would not be shooting handheld at that point, which severely curtails the usefulness for some folks. ISO 80 just sounds more useful, and after all, higher/bigger/faster/etc. is always better from a marketing standpoint, right?

It was designed as a movie film, so maybe that's why they insist it's an 80 speed film. The key to taming the film's high contrast is to bombard the shadows with a lot of light, which is why I use EI 25.

Another from a recent roll of 120 P30. Rollieflex 6006, Distagon 50/4.

ferrania10.jpg

Jim B.

Back