Film Leica repair times at Leica Wetzlar

Umm, maybe I'm missing something, but my experience with Leica USA's turnaround was always like this, long before the "renaissance". Maybe it was better in Oz?

Umm, maybe I'm missing something, but my experience with Leica USA's turnaround was always like this, long before the "renaissance". Maybe it was better in Oz?
It has been my experience too, also for digital and film cameras, over at least the last 15 years. The last time I sent Leica my M10M and lenses for service, I dropped them off in the first week of October and got them back in the last week of April the following year. I was mainly posting it because in several recent threads people had commented that Leica always got things back to them relatively quickly. This web information seems, to me, to be an admission of what I had observed; their service department is undergoing a success crisis.

Took 8 months for my Leica Q (after a promise of 3 weeks) so it's not just film, Leica service is just slow. As a premium brand I find that unacceptable, hence why the Q is my last new Leica.

When my M9 first needed repair, I informed the Leica CEO about it. He phoned Leica NJ and asked them to give me an M240 as a free loaner for the duration (9 months) of the repair. That was a nice thing to do. For a Leica film camera I would go to Don Goldberg. He is a great repairman.

Last edited:
If you live in the US, at least you have several qualified repair technicians--don't know the situation in other locales. Of course, these technicians are rapidly approaching (if not working past) the age of retirement. I have been told that several younger candidates are interested and are being mentored by at least one of these highly qualified technicians. If true, this is a hopeful sign.

If we are talking about digital cameras I don't know who, if any, of these technicians have the training, tools or access to the parts to address the many possible things that can go wrong with these cameras. The entire "digital ethos" is designed to replace equipment every two years, and this is clearly better for the manufacturers' bottom lines so I don't expect things to "improve" for consumers moving forward.

Every two years a replacement? Then I prefer a Leica film camera. I have one from 1928 that still works like new.
I agree....new digital M Leicas are $9000 USD/ € 8200..... 8 month for repairs is ludicrous.
Raid, you were very lucky....though if they'd given everyone a loaner the company would have gone bankrupt.
Film Leica are a real gift....come to think of it so are old Nikons & Rolleiflex.... from the era when cameras were built to last.

My Standard Leica has an inredibly smooth shutter. It is from the 1930's. It is not a computer.

The last service I had done was several years ago- replaced the CCD on my M9 when it was under $1K. Leica New Jersey had it back to me in under a month.

When the M9 and M Monochrom stop working- I will not replace them with new versions of a Leica. I have an M240 now, which is perfect for calibrating lenses. I'll always have a digital Leica, but it will be used and more for working on and testing lenses.

Makes a functioning 1980s M6 even more valuable. Have read lots of stories here of brand new forever MPs that have disappointed and had to go straight back for some obvious fix. My 1932 Leica II needs a service but works well enough. I have a stable of film Leicas that will serve me over the next thirty years. I probably only need one, the M2. My 2012 M9-P is my main camera and the M Monochrom bought in 2013 is my psychological forever camera. Maybe it will go ten years more. Film might be cheap again by then.

To lose decades long loyal clientele and rely on the one time buyers new to Leica, with the scales soon falling from their eyes and no second purchase seems like a bad business strategy. Have they heard of Nikon?

Last edited:
in 2019 Leica saw the M future only in digital terms.

Accordingly there were Leica factory reductions, said to be mostly those working the film M assembly lines.

'32 Leica iii, 1934 3.5cm Elmar wide angle. 11x14" print

45460231785_2830893428.jpg

Leica has a long history of poor quality control and/or engineering. The original M8 had the notorious magenta issue with the 'fix' of UV/IR filters, later models first shipped with loose strap lugs, new M6 offers film scratches (no extra charge!), M11 firmware freezes (people on other forums have tried 4 and 5 bodies and still have issues), the infamous M9 sensor corrosion, 35 FLE II broken aperture blades, it goes on and on. And then the long service times are icing on the cake...

Yet while all this is going on they invest in a fancy new HQ...

Leica has a long history of poor quality control and/or engineering. The original M8 had the notorious magenta issue with the 'fix' of UV/IR filters, later models first shipped with loose strap lugs, new M6 offers film scratches (no extra charge!), M11 firmware freezes (people on other forums have tried 4 and 5 bodies and still have issues), the infamous M9 sensor corrosion, 35 FLE II broken aperture blades, it goes on and on. And then the long service times are icing on the cake...

Yet while all this is going on they invest in a fancy new HQ...
I think you’re looking at long repair times no matter who you send them to. A few years ago I sent a couple of lenses an an M3 to Youxin Ye. I think he turned them around in a couple of weeks. That was great service. DAG was a little longer but still reasonable.

Over two months ago I sent three lenses to Youxin for cleaning but only received a notice that they were received and he’d contact me in two months. I’m in no rush but would like to get them back in another month.

Leica on the other hand has soured me on ever buying another Leica. My M9 experience, many trips in for warranty repair, and 90 Apo Summicron repair fiasco did the trick. Despite my being a full time professional and using Leica since 1968, they had no problems supplying complementary equipment to wealthy amateurs rather than working pros. In the r d the only way I was able to get things resolved was the treat of a lawsuit which at least got my camera temporarily repaired and my 90 replaced.

I decided at that point I was done with Leica. I kept my film gear but will not buy another Leica or lens. Nikon and Canon which I primarily used backup their pros with superb NPS or CPS service with 24 hour turnaround repairs at a discount and free equipment loans.

I’m retired now and still use Nikon and jumped into Fuji. I can throw a Fuji camera or lens in the trash for what a repair on a Leica costs. Are Leicas images better, no not really. Nikon & Canon are the choice of top pros for a reason and Fuji is quite capable.

I think you’re looking at long repair times no matter who you send them to. A few years ago I sent a couple of lenses an an M3 to Youxin Ye. I think he turned them around in a couple of weeks. That was great service. DAG was a little longer but still reasonable.

Over two months ago I sent three lenses to Youxin for cleaning but only received a notice that they were received and he’d contact me in two months. I’m in no rush but would like to get them back in another month.

Leica on the other hand has soured me on ever buying another Leica. My M9 experience, many trips in for warranty repair, and 90 Apo Summicron repair fiasco did the trick. Despite my being a full time professional and using Leica since 1968, they had no problems supplying complementary equipment to wealthy amateurs rather than working pros. In the r d the only way I was able to get things resolved was the treat of a lawsuit which at least got my camera temporarily repaired and my 90 replaced.

I decided at that point I was done with Leica. I kept my film gear but will not buy another Leica or lens. Nikon and Canon which I primarily used backup their pros with superb NPS or CPS service with 24 hour turnaround repairs at a discount and free equipment loans.

I’m retired now and still use Nikon and jumped into Fuji. I can throw a Fuji camera or lens in the trash for what a repair on a Leica costs. Are Leicas images better, no not really. Nikon & Canon are the choice of top pros for a reason and Fuji is quite capable.

The M9 sensor debacle put me off. I had my M9 sensor crack and it went off to Leica for repair. While I waited they started to charge for replacement and I had to remind them that they had accepted the repair as a free sensor replacement. Unfortunately, I got one of the original sensors and so, not having confidence in the camera’s future, I sold that and my Monochrom. A big financial hit, but I could take the risk of a sensor failure at a time when I couldn’t afford to repair it - you never know what the future holds. I still have my film Ms. I ‘scan’ my film with a Panasonic S1r, which has reached a point of good enough for everything I want to do now, whether scanning or shooting.

Unfortunately the problem with my M9 was mechanical. TheRF would no hold calibration. You’d think they’d just replace the RF but the didn’t. I sent it in over and over and all they’d do is recalibrate then it would go out again.

Fortunately I got rid of it just a few days before the news that the sensors were corroding.

Leica repair / service is truly ridiculous for the prices the gear cost new, a few years back I sent them a 35mm 1.4 asph V1 and waited 6 months and that was the last time I ever sent them something for service. All my serviced M film bodies and lenses are doing great, doubt with regular and careful use they will need another round.

My only concern is the M body I use for work and that is my M10-P. It is doing great and RF adjustments in either direction are super easy to do on my own. But if anything major like a duff shutter happens, then I imagine I am buying a backup to use while it goes on vacation to Leica.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an M10-R as second body but that remains to be seen.

Back