Carl Zeiss LTM Finally! ~ I bought a "wartime" 1943 CZJ Sonnar T f1.5/50 in LTM

Carl Zeiss M39 lenses

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
3:59 PM
Post your wartime Zeiss LTM lenses here.

LeicaTom deleted this thread.

I restored it, without LeicaTom's posts.

Much valuable info still remains.

Stephen

Tom's right as far as he goes. But a good J3 can scream that Sonnar look just as loud, hard & long. I have a 1956 J3 in Contax mount that is easily the best 50/1.5 Sonnar I've ever used. From anywhere.

Now, I tend to use my 50/2 more often because of ergonomics, but when I want _that_ look, I grab my J3. Just see Raid's test of fast 50's & you'll find this lens right up there.

William

Tom,

You have to stop this... I have a '49 J-3 which Brian is pretty certain contains Zeiss glass and looks identical to your CZJ Sonnar with the exception of the 'little m'... which has been sitting on my shelf unused for the past 6 months or so, I was planning to send it to live in Brian's collection.

But with all your ranting and raving about the 'Sonnar' signature, I have gone back and pulled prints from various portrait shoots and they are gorgeous. Now I am thinking of keeping the J-3...

Last edited:
Tom.

I was not trying take anything away from the momentous occasion you are celebrating... rather your enthusiasm for the CZJ 50/1.5 has made me reconsider selling my J-3 which is the closest I have come to using the Sonnar lens that you are proclaiming you love for!

So most of all I am looking forward to seeing the work of this lens in your hands after a visit to the 'master of the Sonnar'.

The HC 50/2 is pretty nice for color too :)

454811587_mkhiJ-XL.jpg

Nikkor-S.C 50/2 LTM at about f/2.8 (or maybe a bit wider -- hard to be sure with no click-stops on the aperture ring) on an Epson R-D1s at ISO 400.

I find that my Japan SC 50/1.4 is pretty soft at f/1.4, but sharpens up nicely atf/2 and smaller. I guess I need to do a direct comparison and decide whether I should keep both Nikkors (acute Too Many 50's Syndrome). Like you say, the Canon 50/1.5 is more of the go-to Sonnar. :)

::Ari

I must admit, that I had the chance to play with a Leica III, probably a C or F, and it was very hard to give it back the owner. Hard to explain, but the feeling was like hefting a vintage Stanley Bed-Rock hand plane, or working the action of a '02 Marlin 1894, or wearing my vintage Rolex Explorer, I just had this unjustifiable 'I want one' feeling.... hard to explain, even harder to justify.

But so far, I have managed to avoid further contact with Leica LTM's and thus avoided buying more cameras I truly do not need.

I know nothing about the 'Kugellager' series, dare I ask or as ignorance bliss?

I think the 1938 uncoated CZJ 50/1.5 LTM conversion lens Brian cobbled together for me is my favorite lens, maybe tied for first place with my Canon 35/2.0 - I have the Zeiss still mounted on my M4 as seen in my avatar, have not taken it off since I shot my first roll with it. I used to think a black paint camera needed a black lens, but this combo not only looks great together but works great together. Can't wait to get back to shooting with it.

Last edited:
I'm glad I read this thread, and appreciate all the photos. I too have a Sweeney Opton Sonnar shimmed for Nikon S ( and Amedeo's adapter ), and the Nikkor HC. The Opton was a mess he brought back to life--I'm confident he can do the same for your new lens. But since I bought the DR 'cron I've been using it on my M3 and shelved the other two lenses. Time to take these out and have another "look" at the sonnar signature of my photos.

Hmm, that's interesting - I have been talking to Brian about conversions and he explained the tricks of the trade to me (thanks Brian!). I have converted a 1935 f2 uncoated CZ Sonnar and await the first test roll eagerly. Of more direct relevance to your mail, I have an Opton T f1.5 that I'm trying to convert. This will not fit easily into any of the Russian focus mounts, and I don't have any "surplus" Leica mounts to cannibalise. I think I'm going to have to machine out a spare Canon 1.8 mount that I have - it's about 1mm too small in diameter for the optic unit, but good in other respects (like the diameter of the surround for the aperture ring being within 0.5mm on the diameter, as is).

I have a lathe, and the work is fairly straightforward, and I would be interested to see some of your results to give me the impetus to get on and do it.

Last edited:
Hmm, that's interesting - I have been talking to Brian about conversions and he explained the tricks of the trade to me (thanks Brian!). I have converted a 1935 f2 uncoated CZ Sonnar and await the first test roll eagerly. Of more direct relevance to your mail, I have an Opton T f1.5 that I'm trying to convert. This will not fit easily into any of the Russian focus mounts, and I don't have any "surplus" Leica mounts to cannibalise. I think I'm going to have to machine out a spare Canon 1.8 mount that I have - it's about 1mm too small in diameter for the optic unit, but good in other respects (like the diameter of the surround for the aperture ring being within 0.5mm on the diameter, as is).

I have a lathe, and the work is fairly straightforward, and I would be interested to see some of your results to give me the impetus to get on and do it.

When my M3 gets back I'll run a roll through it with the Opton and share my results--Tom, the Amedeo adapter is for M.

Funny thing though--I didn't buy the lens to use on my M3. I had the Nikkor HC at the time and was using it on the M3. The price was so low, and I knew the condition of the lens before I bought it, I figured I could play with it on my Panny G1. But this thread and the pics have got me curious what it can produce. Brian optimized the lens for close focus wide open--could be fun!

But I want to know where I can CLA those contax bodies and zeiss lenses? Is Youxing dealing with them?

Thanks,

Several folks on RFF have had Eddy Smolov from NYC do work on Contax cameras and lenses, and have been pleased with the service and turn-around time. Henry Scherer is very good, but has a 2 year waiting list.

Several folks on RFF have had Eddy Smolov from NYC do work on Contax cameras and lenses, and have been pleased with the service and turn-around time. Henry Scherer is very good, but has a 2 year waiting list.

Can I get the contact info for Eddy please?

Eddy Smolov's info:

[email protected]
(347)922-7275

He's in Brooklyn, NY. He's currently working on my Kiev 4, and says I should have it back next week. That will be three weeks total, and that's supposedly a long time for him. He came well-recommended.

Hopefully I'll be able to report back when it returns.

Cheers,
--joe.

This thread is a hoot! Just finally read through it. Some GREAT shots above!!! :)

Tom -- Congrats to you on your most successful acquisition. I'm sure a spell at Spa Sweeney will do your lens a world of good!

Brian -- This thread is further proof that you are a god. :D

Jim -- How's the eye doing? Best wishes for a speedy recovery! (you're not left eye dominant, are you??).

Tom (again) -- Agree w/ your comment about what sonnar lenses are good for...

2165392604_5d590c14c2_o.jpg

Great deal, I have been looking for this combo too :( unfortunately now I had other priorities and I have 4 bodies and until I get rid of some of them I wont buy contax...

But I want to know where I can CLA those contax bodies and zeiss lenses? Is Youxing dealing with them?

Thanks,

Youxin Ye only works on Leica, I believe.

Eddy Smolov's info:

[email protected]
(347)922-7275

He's in Brooklyn, NY. He's currently working on my Kiev 4, and says I should have it back next week. That will be three weeks total, and that's supposedly a long time for him. He came well-recommended.

Hopefully I'll be able to report back when it returns.

Cheers,
--joe.

Eddy is a great guy.
Mention my name to him, and he will treat you like family.

Tom: Every repair person can sometimes "be human" and it can happen that you need to ask for a re-do. Even DAG gets such cases.

This thread is a hoot! Just finally read through it. Some GREAT shots above!!! :)

Tom -- Congrats to you on your most successful acquisition. I'm sure a spell at Spa Sweeney will do your lens a world of good!

Brian -- This thread is further proof that you are a god. :D

Jim -- How's the eye doing? Best wishes for a speedy recovery! (you're not left eye dominant, are you??).

Tom (again) -- Agree w/ your comment about what sonnar lenses are good for...

2165392604_5d590c14c2_o.jpg

Great shot indeed. was this shot wide open? That nice softness in the background is very appealing, smoother than the Planars I have more of.

As for the eye, 2nd operation in under my belt and I'm healing. Uncertain how successful this will have been until a week or two clears things up. I need to start trying to shoot right eyed - not an easy transition for me, as I confessed in my thread/poll, called "right or left" or something like that.

Eddy resurrected a lump of dead Contax II for me a while back. It is a project camera, nearly complete - I will post pics when it's all done. I finally shot a roll with it the other day and the speeds are a stop slow - the body has been in many pieces and shipped all over the country - so it may go back to Eddy, or maybe I will just rate the film a stop faster :).

Youxin has been my go-to guy for Barnack repair, and has never disappointed. I'm hoping to get another project body back from him before he takes a vacation at the end of this week.

Back