Carl Zeiss LTM Finally! ~ I bought a "wartime" 1943 CZJ Sonnar T f1.5/50 in LTM

Carl Zeiss M39 lenses
HU - Original M39/LTM CZJ Sonnar f2/85 Portrait Lens

HU - Original M39/LTM CZJ Sonnar f2/85 Portrait Lens

Well, seems like the online market for "wartime" M39/LTM Sonnar's has dried up a little?

But after some browsing around I did find what looks here like a REAL CZJ M39/LTM Sonnar f2/85 lens, ca. 1945 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wartime-8-5...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item418d1a01b3

Seems to have had a Brian Sweeney CLA which is worth it's weight in gold, have to ask the seller more about that, while I'm pretty sure Brian hasn't don any CLA's in a long time, I wish he would while I have a rare 1943 version of this lens that needs focus adjusting.

I think that screw on the side of the lens has been replaced? Not 100% sure.

I have no connection to the seller and I'm just posting this as a Heads Up to anyone interested.

Cheers,

Tom

I'm not an expert but a few indicators look good to me.

- Lens has the two ears on the aperture
- foot on the camera back appears to be the early contax version
- Focusing knob has two ridges
- Script on the body is appropriate for the serial number

Just bought this Kiev Camera and ZK 50mm F2 on Ebay. Would love to know if it's fake. What worries me is it is in really good condition for a lens and camera from 1950.
http://StevenWetherbee.zenfolio.com/p874537334/slideshow

Post WW2 built lenses are never faked, and ESPECIALLY Kiev mounted ones, no real logic in it at all.

That looks like a normal original 1950 Kiev "Sonnar Style" lens, probably also made with some left over parts from Contax from WW2.

The M39 LTM Leica Mount Sonnar's are what's always in question and contrary to that one website online (with so much misinformation) I think that 85/90% of all the M39 lenses that come onto the modern market are the real deal, many of them are POST WW2 Russian Army Of Occupation lenses, which are only differnet in build date from their WW2 German build counterparts.....the internal components are the same as the 1941 to 1943 assembled lenses.

Tom

Sorry to revive an old thread.
I have a Sonnar 5cm f2 collapsible and I would like to take out the front element only to clean it. How can this be done? is it easy? Is the front name plate a screw in retaining ring for the front element?
Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, the name-ring is the retaining ring for the front element, same as on my Sonnar 50/1.5 and Jupiter-3 lenses. Though the element sometimes might not want to drop out on its own immediatly.

Out for rubbers. I will have to use a rubber to get a grip on it. Unfortunately it does not have any notches as the 1.5 to get it out with a spanner.

recently purchased a ZK Sonnar 1947 5cm f2.0 RED P with a 1948 made kiev II :cool: i understand it isn't war-time (nor LTM) but i see so many times it mentioned in this thread.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04292.jpg
    DSC04292.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
Yes, a bit OT.
But a 1947 Kiev II with a 1947 ZK: that is exceptional!
Could you give the serial number of the body?

Thanks. Jacques.

recently purchased a ZK Sonnar 1947 5cm f2.0 RED P with a 1947 made kiev II :cool: i understand it isn't war-time (nor LTM) but i see so many times it mentioned in this thread.

attachment.php

Alert, many later Jupiters M39 were faked into '1947 3K' models with a layout on the front ring that is identical to this one.

Simple task, just unscrew the original beauty ring and install this '1947' type and up goes the sales value... The M39 version of Jupiters and the Contax mount version have identical optical blocks, including filter thread etc... You may have bought a fake.

I think that I got a Kiev with a 50/2 and the ZK 50/1.5 was bought separately. Brian could not tell if it was genuine or fake. He would have to open it up.

BTW Johan, I always have the fake 1947 ZK. Good looking on an early Zorki and soft for shooting!

This camera seems a genuine 1947 Kiev, with the black disc under the timer. The bag too. So, why not the lens? Note that the problem of genuiness is rather for LTM lenses...
If Rax can give us the s/n, we'll know more about it.

Amitiés. Jacques.

Alert, many later Jupiters M39 were faked into '1947 3K' models with a layout on the front ring that is identical to this one.

Simple task, just unscrew the original beauty ring and install this '1947' type and up goes the sales value... The M39 version of Jupiters and the Contax mount version have identical optical blocks, including filter thread etc... You may have bought a fake.

i don't think fake collapsible contax-rf mount jupiter 8 is exist and the lens is exactly like the pictures on sovietcam's website. it is not logical to make a lens from the scratch (collapsible with rf mount) pair them with 1948 made kiev II and no one else ever buy or seen one of these! if someone make such effort it is worth than a genie 1947 3z imho :D

BTW Johan, I always have the fake 1947 ZK. Good looking on an early Zorki and soft for shooting!

This camera seems a genuine 1947 Kiev, with the black disc under the timer. The bag too. So, why not the lens? Note that the problem of genuiness is rather for LTM lenses...
If Rax can give us the s/n, we'll know more about it.

Amitiés. Jacques.

it has Dresden-style rewinding button so it is second one in this page:
http://www.sovietcams.com/index.php?-927109500

mine is in very good condition compare to that pic! i should send a new pic to them:D

the camera with kiev written in bold font:
attachment.php

the bottom of the lens:

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC04291.jpg
    DSC04291.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC04293.jpg
    DSC04293.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1
Congrats, Rax!
A camera already very rare. But much more in that condition!
As a collector I would be happy to own a 1947 Kiev in poor state!

Amitiés. Jacques.

How do I unscrew the optic module on my CZJ Sonnar 5cm f1,5 to check for the serial numbers as described in this thread. I am loathe to damage the lens due to ignorance. Thanks Michael.

How do I unscrew the optic module on my CZJ Sonnar 5cm f1,5 to check for the serial numbers as described in this thread. I am loathe to damage the lens due to ignorance. Thanks Michael.

Michael, you should be able to just take the lens by the lens mount in one hand and grab the lens carefully by front rim ahead of the aperture ring with the other hand and twist counterclockwise.

The optical cell including the aperture control will unscrew from the lens mount.

Don't put any force on the delicate aperture control.
Don't use violence or excessive force.
Before unscrewing the optical cell you should set the lens to it's widest aperture and take note (take a picture) how exactly it aligns with all indices of the lens.
Before actually unscrewing, set the aperture somewhere in the middle to prevent accidental force on the aperture linkage when unscrewing.
Careful, your lens may have a shim between optical cell and focus mount - don't lose that shim!

Back