Fly-fishing and Photography

dave lackey

Mentor
Local time
8:49 AM
It has been awhile since we discussed fly-fishing here so it is time to get a check on who is living large with photography and my favorite sport, fly-fishing.

I am looking to post an iPhone snap of my old riding buddy, Larry, in Palatka, Florida. An Orvis certified instructor, he introduced me to fly-fishing years ago and immediately left me with four or five fly-rods to try out. After two years, I learned a lot! Then I returned the flyrods and he gave me one back. And it is the only one I use now. It fits perfectly into my life which is quite simple nowadays.

Just wondering who else is into fly-fishing on RFF? The life of each complements the other quite well in my opinion.:angel:

What correlations do you see between the two?

Larry with a small bluegill...

But, the first of 66 that day:

attachment.php

I can think of many correlations from passion to gear to the friends with whom we associate and also our participating in active like-mindedness. It is therapy for me and I know for sure, for Larry. He is not only a fly-fishing expert, but he is liable to break out a bait caster, spinning rod, or his favorite, the bamboo fly-rod he made himself a few years ago in north Georgia.:)

My quest this year is to capture Larry casting on the water, either on the lake, the river or a stream in the mountains. First light in the morning. Mist rising. Action shots. Memories forever.:D

Attachments

• Larry in Palatka 2014 rff.jpg
    Larry in Palatka 2014 rff.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 0
I attended the Orvis Fly Fishing School a few weeks ago as a Christmas gift from my wife. I learned a great deal and had a wonderful time. It is a sport that can be as simple or as complex and detailed as you want to make it. I look forward to this becoming a life long endevor. The next step is to buy my equipment.

My father (lived in Starke FL which is near Palatka) endeavored in various art forms, was a master of many instruments, wooodworker/craftsman, model railroad enthusiast, and fly fisherman. He was poor to middle class most of his life but always found a way to pursue his hobbies and to earn from them.

Me I can't draw, paint, play an instrument, or cut a board straight. I don't really like fishing. Photography is my main creative outlet.

My two favorite passions are fly fishing and photography. The similarities for me are simple... both put me in a zone where time and any troubles don't exist. I wish I could do more of both. With regard to rangefinders and flyfishing, I have had several cameras ruined by "wading errors" or downpours where I now prefer a waterproof point and shoot on the stream, and leave my rangefinder in the car. Rangefinders can be old school, and I like that. Same with flyfishing, This past year I have been trying out silk fly lines.. high maintenance but just lovely to cast.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/frumcP]
Floating the Big Hole
by Tom Hart, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p9ajN7]
trout snob
by Tom Hart, on Flickr[/URL]

I attended the Orvis Fly Fishing School a few weeks ago as a Christmas gift from my wife. I learned a great deal and had a wonderful time. It is a sport that can be as simple or as complex and detailed as you want to make it. I look forward to this becoming a life long endevor. The next step is to buy my equipment.

Joe, what a nice gift!!

Now enjoy the shopping experience!:D

Dave....Thanks for the well wishes. I only saw this post just today.

i am in the process of figuring out exactly what I need to get this going. I will be purchasing a Recon 5-weight Rod but I have yet to decide if I should get the 8'6'' or the 9' model along, with all the other equipment that I need.

I watched the documentary Low & Clear last night which made me want to get out there ASAP.

Dave....Thanks for the well wishes. I only saw this post just today.

i am in the process of figuring out exactly what I need to get this going. I will be purchasing a Recon 5-weight Rod but I have yet to decide if I should get the 8'6'' or the 9' model along, with all the other equipment that I need.

I watched the documentary Low & Clear last night which made me want to get out there ASAP.

Yeah, get out there! My Orvis rod is ready except I ran out of flies and I need Tippett before I go again.

("Lightbulb lights up over my head" moment)... I have to go into Atlanta to Emory tomorrow... Easy to get to Orvis in Buckhead... Heh, heh, heh...:cool:

Love this thread!!! I have been in a photography slump, but mostly because my flyfishing has gone up!

Living here in Denver for the last 7 years has helped kick my interest back into high gear, but glad we got some people here on RFF on the flyfishing kick too.

Blue River Rainbow 1 by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr

brown trout by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr

the river rock by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr

the rainbow - jon by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr

Colorado Cutbow - 06-23-12 by Jordan Dickinson, on Flickr

Started off with a cheapie Compaq when I was kid on the dock. Eventually got an Abu which I think is still kicking around.

Fast forward and got an STH from Skinners (anyone in Toronto will know and have found memories of this place, Jimmy, Keith etc...). Loved this reel but spare spools were hard to find. Now use a Ross. Primarily chase bass and pike but hate throwing pike flies ;) but whatcha gonna do right lol

When my grandpa, John Westerfield, was alive, he and I used to fly fish all the time. Grandpa taught me to tie flies, and I made all our flies, including some really cool deer hair poppers and mice. I haven't gone fishing since he died in 1999.

grandpa-john1.jpg

Grandpa sitting on the pier at his lake house fishing with one of his ancient Mitchell spinning reels. We didn't just fly fish!

Back