Fountain pens - anyone write?

crusius

Established
Local time
8:59 PM
From the bicycle thread I got curious about other things that people who like rangefinders are likely to like. (!)

Fountain pens: I bet other people here use them regularly. My "daily writer" is a black Parker 51 Aerometric, filled with Noodler's black ink.

Who else?

- Cesar

Yep, I got a few, nothing fancy, real users. Waterman, Shaeffer, Parker. I hate writing with ballpoints or roller balls.

yes :)
a like pens - everything with old time look & smell ...
as a boy a wanted something unusual - not cheap plastic pen ...
but,
now and then, classic things(pens, RF cameras) has ''classic'' value:
they are usually too much expencive for my pocket.
Regards.

Best Gift Ever Received: (given as a gift from friends in Portugal) The Aurora Da Vinci pen.

(Sadly, it's another brand new thing that has to go back to the factory before it'll work- the ink-loader system won't load ink, a la my CV lens complaints...)

Otherwise, an old Parker is the daily writer. It's a tad ugly (er... "classic") in green, but ink flow is wonderful, and though light, still feels good. Nice fine nib, too.

I have a MontBlanc Meisterstuck - Chopin Edition. Mostly limited to signing my name - which is not that often!

A Shaeffer and a Cross. I usually carry the Cross with me to work.

Among the best advice my teachers gave me when I was in elementary and middle school was to write with a fountain pen. I credit my good handwriting/penmanship to their advocation of the use of fountain pens over the ball-point variety.

Also, not many things compete with the memories of a few ink-stained shirts :)

I use a cheap Parker fountain pen that I bought in college. I have no idea why I still have it.

Yes! A fellow Leica user got me into these marvels several years ago and I am having good fun writing letters with them. Here is the stable: Pelikan M800, Pelikan M605, OMAS Paragon, Aurora 88, Aurora Ipsilon, Aurora Talentum, vintage Parker 51 (my first but not my last !), and a Delta Europa. Mostly medium nibs, two with fine nibs. Mostly shades of blue for ink. I love writing letters (paper of choice: Ampad Gold Label lined) and receiving them.

Last edited:
I have a Pelikan (unknown model), a Shaeffer balance, a Monte Blanc and a few others... but honestly, the pen I always carry (and have for a decade in one form or another) is a Rotring 600 Trio - blue and red ballpoint, and a .07 pencil. Built like a tank, and reliable as my Canon P.

That and a small lined Moleskine notebook have spent more time in my pockets than I can imagine.

Last edited:
Pelikans here- my trusty 1985 M800 size, and several newer cheap Pelikans with nicer nibs for the darkroom and studio.

http://www.nibs.com/mainpage.html

these folks are simply the nicest you could imagine to deal with should you need a replacement nib or want a new pen. (no relation to me etc.) They remind me of our sponsors in knowledge & customer service. Plus many pages to induce pen GAS.

foma said:
I have a MontBlanc Meisterstuck - Chopin Edition. Mostly limited to signing my name - which is not that often!

Jeez, I sign my name (or initials) all day long. Can I have your pen if it isn't really doing much?:D

My last fountain pen bit the dust when it landed nib down on a tile floor and, sadly, the nib is not replacable (I think). It is/was a Lamy.

I use not just fountain pens, but vintage fountain pens. And I ride a folding British bike (Brompton) and shoot on vintage film cameras. Seems like a trend there.

/T

I'm looking for a shaeffer snorkel pen. Don't think that those are still made today and it seems like a piece of forgotten technology-culture...

Groeten,

Vic

Mine is a Parker 75 (I'm told by a collector friend that it's a first edition to boot) that I bought as a set with a matching ballpoint and some other goodies all in the box with the warranty paperwork. Got it for $8.00 at a church flea market.
Sadly I dropped it in the grocery store one day and the black plastic part broke off and the French replacement is round and not nearly as nice. I still write with it though.
VS

I have regular "back to useing a fountain pen" days

I still love my Parker 51 and my MontBlanc Meisterstuck which I use "now and again"

A bit like cameras - if they are not used the rubber can perish

Right now we've got 21 views and 17 replies, fountain pens are more popular than RFs here!!

I've been lusting for a one because I keep a diary almost everyday. Now I'm using a Pilot G-2 black roller pen which is very nice but I would like to try a fountain pen. The problem is tough the fact that I'm left handed, so the text comes messy if the ink is wet. (My hand sweeps over it as I write!)

Heres my journal, the blue book:
bags.jpg

Back