Fuji GFX R- Very subjective first impressions

nightfly

Well-known
Local time
6:13 PM
I received my pre-ordered Fuji GFX R with the 63mm lens the day before X Mas.

Figured I'd give some preliminary first impressions for anyone interested along with a few photos.

A little background:
I'm coming from shooting with a Leica M9 for the last several years and before that a Leica M4-P and have owned a Mamiya 6 and a Mamiya 7. Wanted something that would fill the void of the Mamiya since I basically gave up shooting film. I tended to take the Mamiya on trips where I know I was going to be shooting mostly nature and wanted the ability to make big prints.

The Fuji is a big camera but not too big. It feels fairly light for the size and not unwieldy. I am glad I got the 63 rather than than the zoom because that would have made it too big for me. I like to travel light and usually only bring one or two lenses. Buttons and functions are where you'd expect them to be. I've never owned an auto focus camera (except for point and shoots) but the autofocus seemed fast and accurate to me. Again I'm not too technical but everything seemed to work well.I didn't change the default settings much.

The one negative is that it feels kinda cheap for a $5000 camera. I'm sure it's built well enough and weather sealed etc but after shooting Leica's it just doesn't feel like it's made to the same tolerances. I've played with the Hasselblad X1D and was almost set to get one, but read a lot of negatives about how slow it is in use. However the build quality of that camera feels commensurate with it's price.

In use the camera works very well. I was shooting mostly stationary objects in aperture priority mode and everything worked well. I don't love the electronic viewfinder, it's a little jaggy and strange coming from standard viewfinders but it's not a deal breaker.

I downloaded the trial of Capture One Fuji Express the process the photos. I usually use an old pre-CC version of Lightroom but have played with Capture One in the past and it seemed like a good time to switch.

The photos are pretty amazing as expected. I shot RAW. They have that medium format look with nice smooth color transitions and although sharp don't have the harshness that I is a little jarring to my eye in smaller formats. They needed little processing and I liked that Capture One allows you to apply the Fuji film looks as curves. Don't know how much I will end up using them but I liked how subtle they are.

I'm on the fence about keeping it due to the build, but the quality of the images pushes it over the edge and I think it will be coming with me on some trips this year.

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0013 1.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I opted for the 50S as a better fit for intended tripod work.

What I like best about these cameras so far is the 4:3 aspect ratio. I removed the EVF, use only the nicely tiltable LCD, great for low-to-ground or high camera positions.

Next step is to raise funds for the 23 and the 110 ...

+1 to C1 as well.

The one negative is that it feels kinda cheap for a $5000 camera. I'm sure it's built well enough and weather sealed etc but after shooting Leica's it just doesn't feel like it's made to the same tolerances. I've played with the Hasselblad X1D and was almost set to get one, but read a lot of negatives about how slow it is in use. However the build quality of that camera feels commensurate with it's price.

Of course it can't feel like a Leica. What does? It is a lot cheaper than a M for one. Secondly, it IS the cheapest medium format digital (NEW) out there at the moment. That said, you might be the first person I've heard of that is thinking about getting rid of it due to build quality. However, people who come from Leica tend to be off-put by the how light Fuji cameras are. I think it's an advantage.

Just got back from my first outing with my new Fujifilm GFX 50R and Fujinon GF 63mm f2.8 R WR lens.
So far I like it very much. A couple shots and a crop. Astia film sim, JPEGs straight out of the camera.

DSCF0002.JPG

DSCF0026.JPG

Cropped from the one above.
DSCF00FIGHT.JPG

Yokosuka, Japan - August 5, 2020

All the best,
Mike

If a Mod sees this would you please set up a Fuji Forum for "Fujifilm GFX cameras & Fujinon GF lenses"?

A few more from my first outing with my new Fujifilm GFX 50R and Fujinon GF 63mm f2.8 R WR lens.
Astia film sim, JPEGs straight out of the camera. Click on an image to enlarge.

DSCF0010.JPG

DSCF0039.JPG

DSCF0001.JPG

A crop from the one above.
DSCF0001%2B%25282%2529.JPG

Yokosuka, Japan - August 5, 2020

All the best,
Mike

$5000 camera and eyeing a budget motel? Just in jest :) :) Thanks for the samples and observations!

Looking through the lens possibilities (although those start to add up to ungodly amounts in dollars) there's some intriguing options. 110 f2! And there's a f1.2 and f1.4 3rd party lens.

It's good to see some more folks getting into MF-D cameras on RFF! Some nice photos posted. Congratulations on your recent acquisition, Mike!

There are few enough MF-D users on RFF that perhaps what might be better than Fuji GFX specific category could be a pan-MF-D category...? It seems to me that MF-D users share useful info and workflow tips between brands a bit more frequently than the FF and APS-C format users, and solutions are more applicable across brands as well. Such a category could also include technical camera use, as there are a number of good (and not stratospherically priced) technical cameras that utilize Fuji and other MF-D bodies for their capture.

Since I already had Hasselblad V system equipment, I went for the 907x Special Edition with their 21 and 45P lenses. That lets me use the back on my 500CM to take advantage of my existing 50, 80, 120 macro, and 150mm lenses as well, or to use the lenses on the 907x with a mount adapter. I thought about the X1D (and current X1D II) many times, but I like the form factor and modularity of the 907x/CFVII 50c plus V system approach. Hasselblad has just recently announced the smart grip and optical viewfinder for the 907x SE, once they come in my setup will be complete.

I've heard the comment from many folks that the Fuji cameras feel too light and have to say that the same goes for my Fuji 645 film cameras from the past (and the one I have now). It doesn't stop them from working well, but it is off-putting if you're used to the feel of Leica 35mm or digital equipment. I'm happy to report that the digital Hasselblad equipment feels just as solid and built like a tank as the V system film equipment, but of course the price is higher than for the Fuji gear; happily the Hassy X system gear works as well as the V system gear does too.

I hope to see more photos from other MF-D users as time goes on! MF-D has a different look from APS-C and FF digital capture. :)

G

Of course it can't feel like a Leica. What does? It is a lot cheaper than a M for one. Secondly, it IS the cheapest medium format digital (NEW) out there at the moment. That said, you might be the first person I've heard of that is thinking about getting rid of it due to build quality. However, people who come from Leica tend to be off-put by the how light Fuji cameras are. I think it's an advantage.

Hang on, he said he's also been using a Mamiya 7, surely the Fuji isn't as plasticy as that?

It's good to see some more folks getting into MF-D cameras on RFF! Some nice photos posted. Congratulations on your recent acquisition, Mike!

There are few enough MF-D users on RFF that perhaps what might be better than Fuji GFX specific category could be a pan-MF-D category...? It seems to me that MF-D users share useful info and workflow tips between brands a bit more frequently than the FF and APS-C format users, and solutions are more applicable across brands as well. Such a category could also include technical camera use, as there are a number of good (and not stratospherically priced) technical cameras that utilize Fuji and other MF-D bodies for their capture.

Since I already had Hasselblad V system equipment, I went for the 907x Special Edition with their 21 and 45P lenses. That lets me use the back on my 500CM to take advantage of my existing 50, 80, 120 macro, and 150mm lenses as well, or to use the lenses on the 907x with a mount adapter. I thought about the X1D (and current X1D II) many times, but I like the form factor and modularity of the 907x/CFVII 50c plus V system approach. Hasselblad has just recently announced the smart grip and optical viewfinder for the 907x SE, once they come in my setup will be complete.

I've heard the comment from many folks that the Fuji cameras feel too light and have to say that the same goes for my Fuji 645 film cameras from the past (and the one I have now). It doesn't stop them from working well, but it is off-putting if you're used to the feel of Leica 35mm or digital equipment. I'm happy to report that the digital Hasselblad equipment feels just as solid and built like a tank as the V system film equipment, but of course the price is higher than for the Fuji gear; happily the Hassy X system gear works as well as the V system gear does too.

I hope to see more photos from other MF-D users as time goes on! MF-D has a different look from APS-C and FF digital capture. :)

G

Recently picked up the Fuji GFX 50r second hand and have been very impressed with the native lenses. I've adapted a number of other lenses to the system including the Hasselblad 80mm. I was bit surprised that while the coverage of my MF lenses on the Fuji is great the sharpness and resolution doesn't match some of the 35mm lenses I've adapted. How has your experience been with the 907x? Do you see noticeable differences in image quality? My experience has largely left me wanting to keep my MF lenses for film rather than adapting them to MF-D

I've heard the comment from many folks that the Fuji cameras feel too light and have to say that the same goes for my Fuji 645 film cameras from the past (and the one I have now). It doesn't stop them from working well, but it is off-putting if you're used to the feel of Leica 35mm or digital equipment.

I would have said the Texas Leica (GSW690III) was lighter than my M3. But I just measured them and the Fuji is actually 50% heavier. 3 pounds compared to 2 for the M3 with a lens on it. Must be the difference in density and that I get a full handed grip on the Fuji and can't get the same on the Leica.

Shawn

Congratulations on your recent acquisition, Mike!

Thanks! I did a lot of contemplating before I jumped onboard the MF-D wagon. I also sold a bunch of gear that I no longer used to help pay for my new rig. After only one outing with the GFX 50R I feel it’s all worthwhile.

There are few enough MF-D users on RFF that perhaps what might be better than Fuji GFX specific category could be a pan-MF-D category...?

That’s a great idea! I hope a Mod reads this.

I've heard the comment from many folks that the Fuji cameras feel too light and have to say that the same goes for my Fuji 645 film cameras from the past (and the one I have now). It doesn't stop them from working well, but it is off-putting if you're used to the feel of Leica 35mm or digital equipment.

After walking around for over 3 hours yesterday with the GFX 50R and GF 63mm lens in my backpack or around my neck I can say that I’m glad it doesn't weigh an ounce more than it does. I don’t own a car so I spend a lot of time on my feet with whatever rig I’m going out with (and I go out almost everyday) so the less my gear weighs the better. Heck, the less gear I carry the better. I’m usually only out with one camera and one lens unless there’s a good reason to carry more than that.

All the best,
Mike

Recently picked up the Fuji GFX 50r second hand and have been very impressed with the native lenses. I've adapted a number of other lenses to the system including the Hasselblad 80mm. I was bit surprised that while the coverage of my MF lenses on the Fuji is great the sharpness and resolution doesn't match some of the 35mm lenses I've adapted. How has your experience been with the 907x? Do you see noticeable differences in image quality? My experience has largely left me wanting to keep my MF lenses for film rather than adapting them to MF-D

What I've found with the Hasselblads:
  • When I use the CFVII-50c back on the Hasselblad 500CM with the Planar 80mm set up to use the reflex finder and lens shutter, the first impression is that it's a little soft on the digital sensor. That didn't seem right to me, it's a super performer on film, so I spent some time testing and experimenting. I found that the lens is actually very sharp throughout but focusing is much more critical when I use the 500CM's native reflex finder. I get my best results with it when I use the Magnifying Hood rather than the waist level finder, because I can focus the ocular and really see the focus on the focusing screen much more clearly.
  • Switch the back to electronic shutter mode and use Live View to focus the same lens (with the mirror locked up and the lens stopped down to working aperture): the results are super sharp every time. This is the same as using this lens on the 907x body with the XV Adapter, and the results are identical.

Only a few of my 35mm lenses cover the full 33x44 format without some corner/edge issues, except for close-ups, but nearly all cover a square crop (33x33mm) format nicely. Performance as compared to the Hasselblad V system lenses, when focused accurately, is very close for my better lenses (mostly Leica R).

G

Yes, MF-D definitely has its advantages. :)

...After walking around for over 3 hours yesterday with the GFX 50R and GF 63mm lens in my backpack or around my neck I can say that I’m glad it doesn't weigh an ounce more than it does. I don’t own a car so I spend a lot of time on my feet with whatever rig I’m going out with (and I go out almost everyday) so the less my gear weighs the better. Heck, the less gear I carry the better. I’m usually only out with one camera and one lens unless there’s a good reason to carry more than that.

I hear ya.

I'm on my bicycle more than in my car in the past year and some, so I also typically have just one camera/one lens with me. The Hassy 907x and 45P lens is quite compact in that regard and pretty light for medium format digital too. There's space in my cycling backpack for that and the Peak Design Travel Tripod, and it's not too onerous to carry both. The 21mm lens is a good bit more bulky, but there's still enough space for that when I feel like being in "all digital SWC mode" as it were.

G

I'm using my GFX 50R with a RRS L-bracket and Mag-Pul QD strap when I'm out and about. A comfortable carry and very easy to disconnect for tripod use.

A new set of images from today.

Fujifilm GFX 50R & Fujinon GF 63mm f2.8 R WR lens.
Astia film sim, JPEGs straight out of the camera.
(Click image to enlarge)

DSCF0041.JPG

Cropped from above.
DSCF0041%2B%25282%2529.JPG

DSCF0043.JPG

Cropped from above.
DSCF0043%2B%25282%2529.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0067.JPG

Yokosuka, Japan - August 7, 2020

All the best,
Mike