Fuji Neopan ACROS iso 100

OurManInTangier

An Undesirable
Local time
1:31 PM
Anyone know anything about this film, characteristics, problems, what it excels at?

7 Day Shop is selling it at £1.90 a roll of 36, VAT free item. I'm intrigued by their claims of smooth grain and at that price its worth a punt.

Never used it but IIRC Todd Hanz uses it quite a lot, and his scans look pretty amazing on the whole, so I suspect it's worth a go.

Ian

I've used it and like it a lot. I have a 16x20" print on the wall here - from a 35mm neg - and you can hardly see the grain at all at viewing distance (3 feet). I develop it in Prescysol EF and rate it at ISO100.

This is an incredible ISO 100 film imho.

When dev'd in Xtol it is creamy and, I feel, has the finest grain (more so than Tmax) - I just don't shoot it as often as I used to as I tend towards faster films now...

Dave

I have used it for a couple of years now and like it a lot. Grain is extremely fine which allows enlargements of 16x20 and 20x24 while still retaining sharp detail.

I highly recommend it..

Beautiful film, particularly in 120. I use Clayton F76+ to develop it and it gives me great speed and tonal range.

Acros 100 (120 roll film) shot at 100.

416958427_9a80097d31.jpg

acros 100 is my choice film. it's awesome in xtol, and the 120 size is fantastic in rondinol. Have tried a bunch of films, and always come back to it. With zeiss lenses, acros is very nice!

If you want to try something different, do it in diafine for some interesting results :D

I've shot 5 or 10 rolls of it only and feel that it's quite an unusual film. It has a certain look to it, creamy as some have said, but also something about the highlights. In the end, I decided it wasn't for me.

Wow - there are some stunning examples on your Flickr site Rich, add to that the positive reactions of everyone else I may have to increase my order. I may use some through my F5 and Mamiya 645 too so I can muck around with a few more lenses. Thanks for the recommendations everyone

it's a great film, probably my favorite. Most people find it's true speed somewhere near EI 50. In 35 it's pretty contrasty, in 120 it's the bomb ;), creamy highlights and all. You'll love it!

Todd

in Xtol
concrete_wave_35_asph.jpg

dev. in pyro
springer_III.jpg

in Xtol
1163871885.jpg

in 4x5
386044526_39e58627e9.jpg

I believe that Acros does not suffer reciprocity failure. This must be unique amongst B&W film. It makes it a very good choice for long exposures (very long).

fidget said:
I believe that Acros does not suffer reciprocity failure. This must be unique amongst B&W film. It makes it a very good choice for long exposures (very long).

In my Flickr links mentioned above you'll see a lot of Acros I used at night, sometimes for 6 minute exposures or more. Tri-X or Delta 100, for example, would have needed 15-20min or more under same conditions. Who's got time for that? And I do not want to open my aperture to compensate either (usually shoot at f/5.6 or f/8 for sharpness and some DOF).

Acros needs little to any adjustment for reciprocity failure until exposing past 8 minutes in my experience, and I rarely need to do that!

rich815 said:
In my Flickr links mentioned above you'll see a lot of Acros I used at night, sometimes for 6 minute exposures or more. Tri-X or Delta 100, for example, would have needed 15-20min or more under same conditions. Who's got time for that? And I do not want to open my aperture to compensate either (usually shoot at f/5.6 or f/8 for sharpness and some DOF).

Acros needs little to any adjustment for reciprocity failure until exposing past 8 minutes in my experience, and I rarely need to do that!

Not to hijack, but how does one calculate the time necessary for those deep-stop night exteriors? They look amazing. What's your technique? Just "B" and a stopwatch?

Back