Fujifilm XF10

Thank you! This is cool. Two snap distances switch on single button might be better than GR three distances set via U1,2,3 locked wheel.

They say it is possible to have MF at the lens ring as well, but reviewers called this ring as "Fuji wiggly".

I use the lens ring to change focal length from 28 to 35 to 50. I don’t mind the resulting file crop, since I’m starting with 24Mp. 😊

I use the lens ring to change focal length from 28 to 35 to 50. I don’t mind the resulting file crop, since I’m starting with 24Mp. 😊

Best sales pitch for this camera, ever!
It makes so much sense. It just like zoom functioning.

I've owned the Ricoh GR III (and older versions). I now use the XF10. I liked the image quality produced by the GR cameras, but didn't like how the lens needs to move in and out of the body when powered up and down. I felt this was going to lead to dust on the sensor. And when using it in public, I didn't like how turning the power on and having the lens move out of the body announces to the subject that I'm about to take their picture.

Regarding the XF10, I find the image files to be excellent. And I get the Fuji film simulations to play with. I've assigned the snap focus feature to the function button, so its just a simple tap to change it. And the two snap focus distances have so far covered every situation I've used it for well. And re: the complaint above about the Ricoh lens moving in and out... the XF10's lens is stationary and thus street subjects don't know if the camera is on or off.

Basically, I feel like I have everything in the XF10 that I had in the GR cameras at half the cost. I was able to use the savings to buy another lens for my X-T4. :)

If you don't let the GR lens retract then you won't announce anything to observers - they have no way of knowing whether the camera is off or on because only a fellow GR user would know that the lens retracts. Just keep the camera on when actively involved in shooting, and don't make it super obvious if you need to turn it on around a subject.

I'd consider the XF10 a lot closer if it had the same character in its output, the same ease of one-handed control and fluidity, and the same IBIS and MOST importantly the REAL snap focus. XF10's hamstrung snap mode is a pain in the neck and not even remotely like the GR's with its lack of aperture control and the reliance on touch screen gestures is also not something that works for me.

Believe it or not I'd love a $450, i.e. half price, equivalent of the GR, it's just that the XF10 takes out everything that makes me love the GR. It's not that I'm so nuts about a 28mm focal length or an LCD-only camera, or even quite how small the size is. It's the DNA of the GR that suits me so well.

Good info about third party extended warranty!
I don't have such thing. Cheapest I could get is 107 USD four years via BH (Canada has no such thing, it seems). Together, after tax it is 1200 USD.
Which is insane price, IMO.

Visa often provides a second year of warranty through purchase protection, but I also bought the third-party extended warranty from Amazon with my second GR, it was expensive ($80) for three years but I figure it might come in handy. Precision Camera isn't affordable at all for repairs once you're out of warranty.

A few people pictures from yesterday.

DSCF0673.JPG

DSCF0680.JPG

DSCF0675.JPG

Fujifilm XF10
Monochrome + G Filter film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - May 2021

All the best,
Mike

Riding the rails with the XF10.

DSCF0691.JPG

DSCF0690.JPG

Fujifilm XF10
Monochrome + G Filter film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - May 2021

All the best,
Mike

Mike, good to see black and white
images from the XF10. I’ve been meanining to give b&w a try. You’ve provided excellent incentive. 😊
By the way, if there’s anyone else here interested in a camera like this, Ming Thein wrote a pretty thorough (and very positive) review of the XF10.

Mike, good to see black and white
images from the XF10. I’ve been meanining to give b&w a try. You’ve provided excellent incentive. 😊
By the way, if there’s anyone else here interested in a camera like this, Ming Thein wrote a pretty thorough (and very positive) review of the XF10.

Hi Jamie!

While I’m predominantly a color shooter I’ve been doing a lot more in B&W lately. If you make some monochrome images with your XF10 please post them up, I’d love to see them.

Another thing about the XF10 for me is that I kind of struggled with using the screen to compose pictures instead of a viewfinder. Then on a whim (or out of frustration) I displayed the “rule of thirds” grid on the screen and this helped me a lot.

Anyway, here are two shots I took yesterday for comparing film simulations on the XF10.

Astia film simulation
DSCF0700.JPG

Monochrome + R Filter film simulation
DSCF0705.JPG

Yokosuka, Japan - May 7, 2021

All the best,
Mike

If you don't let the GR lens retract then you won't announce anything to observers - they have no way of knowing whether the camera is off or on because only a fellow GR user would know that the lens retracts. Just keep the camera on when actively involved in shooting, and don't make it super obvious if you need to turn it on around a subject.

I'd consider the XF10 a lot closer if it had the same character in its output, the same ease of one-handed control and fluidity, and the same IBIS and MOST importantly the REAL snap focus. XF10's hamstrung snap mode is a pain in the neck and not even remotely like the GR's with its lack of aperture control and the reliance on touch screen gestures is also not something that works for me.

Believe it or not I'd love a $450, i.e. half price, equivalent of the GR, it's just that the XF10 takes out everything that makes me love the GR. It's not that I'm so nuts about a 28mm focal length or an LCD-only camera, or even quite how small the size is. It's the DNA of the GR that suits me so well.

I've used many of the GR models over the years, all the way up to the newest GR III. I don't feel the XF10's snap feature is a pain at all. I can see that if a photographer is super picky about precise selection of snap distance, then maybe so. But for me, 99.99% of my street photography fits very nicely into either the 2meter or 5meter settings on the XF10. And as far as image quality, I see zero difference between the two camera's output... both are excellent.

I've used many of the GR models over the years, all the way up to the newest GR III. I don't feel the XF10's snap feature is a pain at all. I can see that if a photographer is super picky about precise selection of snap distance, then maybe so. But for me, 99.99% of my street photography fits very nicely into either the 2meter or 5meter settings on the XF10. And as far as image quality, I see zero difference between the two camera's output... both are excellent.

It's the lack of aperture selection for snap focus, not so much the available 2 or 5 meters, that bugs me. Although having 1.5 and 3 are also very nice to have.

XF10 on the street​

AVvXsEijjZVPLMpC5XNhEo0bc5i2wbopX0qTVSyGi18VP_1lDaZPtN1Hbh5ppjBa-wBQQGuXysFtgANzEijrDd__vGeztoQgQMi9g09g7ODiOvniusu5EfhHj0gmzxq57mhXE96cyux--3LHEscRRD9MTu46xN4eLyVQgFXjRwLMjrR4NfPkybx3mMrc7ROq=s2048
Fujifilm XF10
Monochrome film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - November 2021
*Image resized smaller than original (2507 x 1672)​

XF10 on the street​

AVvXsEhJnGLyBf1FA7R08OHVI0NAFdEaqQod0hLXtJoFZYrySfofFy4sMjG0nnq-y47wlkJWRW_puUtwtDLN20ztV8xgNcSbPYVCQBsFJ-LWWlMqgjZ5E3la9-73DExsiI5N9MfKJrt3ea73nR4zIFrSxDd4estk2sduAB2x4iSh7IDLLvlO8I4RiZXTm2Qo=s2048
Fujifilm XF10
Monochrome film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - November 2021
*Image resized smaller than original (2507 x 1672)​

XF10 gets the job done in all kinds of weather!​
U69954.1709155945.0.jpg

Fujifilm XF10 camera
Kusatsu Onsen Village
February 2024 - Gunma Prefecture, Japan​

Back