Fujifilm XF10

My question is, who has the better clamps for delicate work, my machinist, who repairs fine instruments, or the camera repair guy?

I would think the instrument repair guy... I saw a studio that repairs high end violins once... wow, what a place.

It looks like a very useable camera. The finder would be necessary for my comfort.

I was very used to using the GR without the VF. The way I like to use a 28mm camera is with a VF and at arms length. I'm probably cheating... because this method makes it a little closer to 35mm. I'm a lot looser with a camera like this which is nice. I tend to be a formalist with my normal camera set-up... lining everything up perfectly.

I would think the instrument repair guy... I saw a studio that repairs high end violins once... wow, what a place.

I was very used to using the GR without the VF. The way I like to use a 28mm camera is with a VF and at arms length. I'm probably cheating... because this method makes it a little closer to 35mm. I'm a lot looser with a camera like this which is nice. I tend to be a formalist with my normal camera set-up... lining everything up perfectly.

Winogrand was pretty loose with the 28 finder. I don't work that way, or do street photography but, I appreciate his working style and the results it produced.

With a lens like a 28, that can be prefocused for a good range at f8 and lower, I wonder if AF is slower or a waste of energy. Also, by changing the prime plane of focus, would give changing DOF results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4f-QFCUek

Winogrand was pretty loose with the 28 finder. I don't work that way, or do street photography but, I appreciate his working style and the results it produced.

With a lens like a 28, that can be prefocused for a good range at f8 and lower, I wonder if AF is slower or a waste of energy. Also, by changing the prime plane of focus, would give changing DOF results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4f-QFCUek

Yep... I've tried to work the Winogrand way back when I used Leicas. I felt it was a better method with 400 (or pushed as he used) speed B&W than with crystal clean digital. I find that digital shows missed focus a bit more than grainy film. These cameras AF so fast these days that I actually find it a convenience.

The XF10 has a dumbed down version of snap focus. It will set the camera to 2 meters and F8 or 5 meters and F5.6. The Ricoh GR lets you choose many different meter increments at any aperture. Some people swear by this, but I still prefer to focus on what I want to be in focus.

Yep... I've tried to work the Winogrand way back when I used Leicas. I felt it was a better method with 400 (or pushed as he used) speed B&W than with crystal clean digital. I find that digital shows missed focus a bit more than grainy film. These cameras AF so fast these days that I actually find it a convenience.

The XF10 has a dumbed down version of snap focus. It will set the camera to 2 meters and F8 or 5 meters and F5.6. The Ricoh GR lets you choose many different meter increments at any aperture. Some people swear by this, but I still prefer to focus on what I want to be in focus.

So do the proponents of snap focus. The point of snap focus is that the camera can be in AF mode rather than manual focus/zone focused, but allows for quick, zone focused snaps when there's not enough time for the AF.

I think the Fuji's sensor with its excellent high ISO performance should allow for using f/16 all the time, making zone focus fairly practical.

This is interesting stuff, the way people work, that is. When I find photos I like, I'm always interested in how they were made. In my work related stuff , it's expected that I deliver sharp photos; if that's what's called for. My personal photos lean in the sharp direction, but not always. Most of the time, I want to be able to predict the results. I still experiment with new things.. getting them down, so I know what to expect. With AI devices, I don't always know what the camera brain will do. So, I tend to turn a lot of that stuff off, unless I know pretty much what will happen.

As you know, from seeing some of my old work, I often treat a SLR/DSLR like a view camera. The camera is on a tripod a lot. But, I've been known to, stick a Nikon MF camera out of a moving car window, at a slow shutter speed too. I get things I like doing that in the right environment.

The first thing I look at with a new (small) camera, is, how much of the auto stuff I can turn off. Number one is auto flash, number two is AF, three is AE. I use those features, but, want to decide when they're needed.

Well, seems some countries have the XF10 in stock and some people are using it. So far, image quality looks great... but the AF speed is supposedly not that great. Very early to tell...

I was looking for a good travel camera and the XF10 seems to fill the bill. Tiny with excellent image quality. The focus speed is typical Fuji, not quite fast... But the snap mode seems useful. A couple of shots from a walk-around in WDC, the first with the snap set at 5m.

20181007-DSCF0015-XL.jpg

20181007-DSCF0012-XL.jpg

Typical Fuji rendering and colours, which I like a lot. It does nice BW but doesn't implement Acros owing to signal processing limitations. The handling, using a joystick rather than a 4-way controller, is well implemented.

Pretty good for $500.

Cheers,
Kirk

I bought XF10 because I wanted a pocket camera that really did fit in my pocket and was capable of making good images.
So far I'm very pleased with it and the macro capability is a nice additional feature.

Fujifilm XF10
Tokushima Prefecture, Japan - January 2020

Bando Train Station

DSCF0135.JPG

DSCF0138.JPG

No one rides for free.
DSCF0141.JPG

DSCF0143.JPG

All the best,
Mike

I considered this camera, but ended up pint up the extra for the GR III. I was already used to the one-handed excellence of the GR controls and IBIS was one of the upgrades I was hoping for from the previous model. Shooting micro four thirds has me spoiled for stabilization.

The XF10 is not at all bad for the price, but if you're wondering, you do get what you pay for. Still, that there are still multiple entries in this APS-C compact market is great!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

After I bought the GR3 I had my XF10 converted to IR. Now I use it for IR landscapes, in Africa and elsewhere. A great little camera, within its limits.

20200220-DSCF0820-XL.jpg

Kirk

Fujifilm XF10
Misaki Port - Miura Peninsula, Japan - April 2020

Waiting for my number to be called.
DSCF0416.JPG

Time to eat!
DSCF0423.JPG

DSCF0422.JPG

His number was just called.
DSCF0424.JPG

All the best,
Mike

Jajamen noodle shop. Outside looking in.
DSCF0487.JPG

Inside looking out.
DSCF0473.JPG

XF10
Morioka City, Iwate prefecture, Japan
September 2020

All the best,
Mike

The Tottori Sand Dunes
Note: Tottori is a coastal prefecture in southern Honshu, Japan's main island. To the east on the coast of the Sea of Japan lie the Tottori Sand Dunes, the largest sand hills in Japan.

It's hard to tell by this picture how vast this place is. But, in the center of this picture the little specks on top of the dune are people.
Click on the picture and it should enlarge and better represent how vast this area is.
DSCF0573.JPG

Here come the camels for the tourists to ride.
DSCF0564.JPG

The last man in line has the most important job - he's the pooper scooper.
DSCF0567.JPG

This young lady was making a VOLG.
DSCF0574.JPG

Fujifilm XF10
Tottori Prefecture, Japan
October 2020

All the best,
Mike

Back