Fujifilm XF10

We also visited the Sand Museum in Tottori Prefecture. It was unbelievable!
On display was the "Czechia & Slovakia" exhibition created by a team of 18 international sand sculptors.
Note: Photography is authorized by the museum.

DSCF0509.JPG

DSCF0515.JPG

DSCF0518.JPG

DSCF0523.JPG

DSCF0553.JPG

Fujifilm XF10
Tottori Prefecture, Japan
October 2020

All the best,
Mike

Visiting the Adachi Museum of Art in Shimane Prefecture. Photography inside the museum is prohibited. However, taking pictures of the Japanese garden outside the museum is authorized. I made perhaps a strange decision to photograph the garden in monochrome instead of color.

DSCF0610.JPG

DSCF0611.JPG

DSCF0615.JPG

DSCF0619.JPG

Fujifilm XF10
Shimane Prefecture, Japan
October 2020

All the best,
Mike

It's nice to have macro capability in a pocket size camera.

DSCF0581.JPG

DSCF0585.JPG

Fujifilm XF10
Yuushien Garden, Shimane Prefecture, Japan
Oct 2020

All the best,
Mike

Mike
You have produced a lot of nice images with the XF10. However, after all that, is this better than an uptodate smartphone.?

Mike
You have produced a lot of nice images with the XF10. However, after all that, is this better than an uptodate smartphone.?

I don't know, I don't have a smartphone. Yes, I'm a dinosaur. :D

I suppose that there are smartphones out there that can do just as well or even better than the XF10. But, like I said, I don't know.

All the best,
Mike

My wife and I eating spicy BBQ flavored potato chips and drinking 7-Eleven branded California wine from a teacup in a hotel room; my life is good enough for me. :D

DSCF0633.JPG

Fujifilm XF10
Yugawara, Japan - March 2021

has someone a link of someone that succeeded to attach a glued hotshoe on it?
I would love to understand if there's enough room for it with microphone holes and fn button...

Mike

Odd question, statement. Not all of Mike's pictures here are "what I eat" ones.
Or "stand still, say cheese"....

Have you tried to hold phone horizontally and take quick street snapshots? How is done quickly and consistently? What are you using for wrist strap?
I have seen how Dmitry Markov works with iPhones on the street. Very different approach from mini cameras...
I have tried iPhone for my street photography and it wasn't my cap of tea at all. And obviously, my not too old iPhone which I'm still paying via contract is nowhere near to this camera IQ.

Late 2018, gone in early 2021. Was this camera a lemon?

GR III price is outrageous for made in China camera which is known for wheel wobble and dust. Even used and old ones (could crap out at any time and no repairs) are pricey.

Coolpix prices A even if camera is old are in 400-600 $ used and rare to find.

But why XF10 didn't last long? I see yt videos where it is blamed for inaccurate and very slow focus.
How about snap focus? I have to swipe touch screen to enable 5m and swipe second time for 2m. Do I have to do it every time or once it is enabled it stays on?

Late 2018, gone in early 2021. Was this camera a lemon?

Kind of a disappointment after the X70 and when compared to the GR series. A bit dumbed down and low end. It's, of course, usable and the IQ is fine.

GR III price is outrageous for made in China camera which is known for wheel wobble and dust. Even used and old ones (could crap out at any time and no repairs) are pricey.

I don't think so. It is $899. I can't think of a better quality camera for this price brand new. Issues with the camera are overblown.

Coolpix prices A even if camera is old are in 400-600 $ used and rare to find.

They used to go for $200-300 for a reason. They are slow. I guess if you don't mind slow AF, it is ok. I'd rather have the GR again.

But why XF10 didn't last long? I see yt videos where it is blamed for inaccurate and very slow focus.

Again, it just didn't sell and was dumbed down compared to the previous X70. It isn't horrible though.

How about snap focus? I have to swipe touch screen to enable 5m and swipe second time for 2m. Do I have to do it every time or once it is enabled it stays on?

there two options:

2m at F/8

5m at F/5.6

I'm not sure about the latter part, but it would seem ineffective to have to do it over and over... basically that would be useless.

Yes, they moved it to Vietnam.
Here is the the wheel wobble.

https://youtu.be/5Kd-52zzCOw?t=338

Back to XF10 and "it is not X70" complains. I'm not big fan of attempts making camera small and dumping all of the warts on it.

XF10 is small, with neat touchscreen interface, settings dial at the lens ring. Minimalist approach matching small size of the camera. And price which makes sense.

I know all about the wheel, I bought one of the earliest ones available in the US, had the wobbly wheel issue as well as the later development of unresponsiveness. I used my extended warranty through my Visa to obtain a replacement, so I'm on my second GRIII and it feels more solid.

I suggest getting an extended warranty of some sort with a GR, but that's kind of been the case for a while, if for nothing else than getting the sensor cleaned in the older ones. It's an addition I was happy to make to have all of the excellent qualities of the GRIII.

I've owned the Ricoh GR III (and older versions). I now use the XF10. I liked the image quality produced by the GR cameras, but didn't like how the lens needs to move in and out of the body when powered up and down. I felt this was going to lead to dust on the sensor. And when using it in public, I didn't like how turning the power on and having the lens move out of the body announces to the subject that I'm about to take their picture.

Regarding the XF10, I find the image files to be excellent. And I get the Fuji film simulations to play with. I've assigned the snap focus feature to the function button, so its just a simple tap to change it. And the two snap focus distances have so far covered every situation I've used it for well. And re: the complaint above about the Ricoh lens moving in and out... the XF10's lens is stationary and thus street subjects don't know if the camera is on or off.

Basically, I feel like I have everything in the XF10 that I had in the GR cameras at half the cost. I was able to use the savings to buy another lens for my X-T4. :)

I know all about the wheel, I bought one of the earliest ones available in the US, had the wobbly wheel issue as well as the later development of unresponsiveness. I used my extended warranty through my Visa to obtain a replacement, so I'm on my second GRIII and it feels more solid.

I suggest getting an extended warranty of some sort with a GR, but that's kind of been the case for a while, if for nothing else than getting the sensor cleaned in the older ones. It's an addition I was happy to make to have all of the excellent qualities of the GRIII.

Good info about third party extended warranty!
I don't have such thing. Cheapest I could get is 107 USD four years via BH (Canada has no such thing, it seems). Together, after tax it is 1200 USD.
Which is insane price, IMO.

I've owned the Ricoh GR III (and older versions). I now use the XF10. I liked the image quality produced by the GR cameras, but didn't like how the lens needs to move in and out of the body when powered up and down. I felt this was going to lead to dust on the sensor. And when using it in public, I didn't like how turning the power on and having the lens move out of the body announces to the subject that I'm about to take their picture.

Regarding the XF10, I find the image files to be excellent. And I get the Fuji film simulations to play with. I've assigned the snap focus feature to the function button, so its just a simple tap to change it. And the two snap focus distances have so far covered every situation I've used it for well. And re: the complaint above about the Ricoh lens moving in and out... the XF10's lens is stationary and thus street subjects don't know if the camera is on or off.

Basically, I feel like I have everything in the XF10 that I had in the GR cameras at half the cost. I was able to use the savings to buy another lens for my X-T4. :)

Thank you! This is cool. Two snap distances switch on single button might be better than GR three distances set via U1,2,3 locked wheel.

They say it is possible to have MF at the lens ring as well, but reviewers called this ring as "Fuji wiggly".

Back