GAS attack, somebody talk me out of buying an Nikon S2

The West German Sonnar has a ring around the barrel. Take the barrel out of the mount by removing the retaining ring. Once the barrel is out, you will see the stand-off ring. This takes the place of a shim, simply unscrew it to increase the stand-off.

So with "stand-off" you mean the distance between the lens barrel vs the objective itself. Understood, thanks Brian. I've seen either Helios-103 or Jupiter-8M lenses with the same kind of ring too (can't remember which).

I'm also tempted by a Nikon S2, one with a 5cm f2 black lens. Why do you prefer the S2 Erik? And thoughts on the 5cm HC Nikkor?

The S2 has the best viewfinder of all the Nikon rangefinders, very simple, but very precise. The finder is like a SBOOI, but built in and with a good rangefinder spot.

The SP has a lot of viewfinders built in, but I never use them.

I never had parallax problems with the S2.

The S3 has a terrible viewfinder. All the other features of the S2/S3 are like the SP.

I love the Nikon logo on the front of the S2. The S2 in black is the most beautiful Nikon there is. I prefer the chrome dial S2 black paint, for me this camera is more attractive than the black dial S2 in black paint.

The f2 50mm Nikkor is a very good lens, but I have most of the time the 50mm f/2.5 S Skopar on the camera. I like its rendering, its sharpness and the very compact shade.

Erik.

I used to use Leica m2 and m3 cameras with both Leica glass and Nikkor and Canon lenses and it was the best of both worlds. I had the opportunity to buy some land and needed some cash so I sold the Leica cameras and lenses and the screw mount Nikkors and Canon glass. Later I went back with Nikon s2's and really think the Leica m cameras are a better way to use the Nikkor glass. With the the right m to l39 adapter changing lenses and frame lines on the fly. I have used Nikon rangefinder cameras on and off since 1969 so they aren't new to me, I just like the Leica M better.

The S2 has the best viewfinder of all the Nikon rangefinders, very simple, but very precise. The finder is like a SBOOI, but built in and with a good rangefinder spot.

The SP has a lot of viewfinders built in, but I never use them.

I never had parallax problems with the S2.

The S3 has a terrible viewfinder. All the other features of the S2/S3 are like the SP.

I love the Nikon logo on the front of the S2. The S2 in black is the most beautiful Nikon there is. I prefer the chrome dial S2 black paint, for me this camera is more attractive than the black dial S2 in black paint.

The f2 50mm Nikkor is a very good lens, but I have most of the time the 50mm f/2.5 S Skopar on the camera. I like its rendering, its sharpness and the very compact shade.

Erik.

Thank you Erik! I think I prefer the look of the SP overall. And yes agree, the black paint versions are gorgeous. I like the idea of a SBOOI-like viewfinder, that must be amazing.

The S2 I'm considering is a late serial number chrome one with black dials. I'm undecided whether I prefer chrome dials or black dials. I'm assuming there aren't any other changes between these versions, will have to read up my Rotoloni book.

Well, it is wonderful and interesting how a new camera can change your viewpoint and preferences. Just snatched up a black dial S2 with original black paint at a ridiculous price. It is so beautiful! It is a perfect camera with a 5cm 1.4 on it. I find my 3.5 f2.5 is usually on my S3 these days...sometimes a 10.5. I have used Leica's for a long time and love them, but I find myself going back to the Nikon RF's pretty regularly.

I've never been a fan of the Nikon RFs, or really any of the Contax derivatives. The ergonomics are all wrong. I think this is a love it or hate it deal, some people love it, but I'm in the hate it camp. If you have a chance to handle a Nikon RF, you'll know in a second which camp you fall into. If it doesn't "click" with you right away, don't kid yourself, it's probably never going to grow on you.

For what it's worth...

Initially I thought the focus wheel was useless stuff. UNTIL i was carrying my 2-year-old daughter on my left arm, leaving me only one arm free for taking pictures. I wanted to quickly grab a picture and the focus wheel let me focus and shoot with only one hand. A big plus.

Since then, many times the focus wheel has come to save the day, really a plus over all my (manual focus) SLR cameras...

I'm tempted for an S2...love both the 50 f2 and f1.4

May sell my M5 & have the S2 as my only Film camera
Nikkor RF's are really quite special and sexy
and keep my CCD monochrom as my only Leica M

Musing ...

For what it's worth...

Initially I thought the focus wheel was useless stuff. UNTIL i was carrying my 2-year-old daughter on my left arm, leaving me only one arm free for taking pictures. I wanted to quickly grab a picture and the focus wheel let me focus and shoot with only one hand. A big plus.

Since then, many times the focus wheel has come to save the day, really a plus over all my (manual focus) SLR cameras...

I used my S3 a lot in the rain with an umbrella in one hand. The focus wheel is a blessing. But what finger do you use? I started out using my index finger for both focusing and shooting, but now I keep my middle finger on the focus wheel and index finger on the shutter, thumb on the advance lever. These cameras are not as fast as Leica M but I don't mind slowing down a bit for the photography I do, and it helps if you are generally in the range you expect to be photographing anyway. If I'm preset for 3m, it's a short move to 2m or 5m.

50804941197_3f0193c6be_b.jpg

Nikon S3 + Nikkor-H 5cm f/2, HP5 @800

I'm tempted for an S2...love both the 50 f2 and f1.4

May sell my M5 & have the S2 as my only Film camera
Nikkor RF's are really quite special and sexy
and keep my CCD monochrom as my only Leica M

Musing ...

Which combination of chrome or black dial and chrome or black body would you go for?

I have never seen or handled one, but can imagine the build quality is similar to my Nikon F SLR.

The only Nikon rf I have ever seen was a new model in a shop display cabinet. I think it was an S3 Millenium model, unused and quite expensive. But looked great.

Which combination of chrome or black dial and chrome or black body would you go for?

I have never seen or handled one, but can imagine the build quality is similar to my Nikon F SLR.

The only Nikon rf I have ever seen was a new model in a shop display cabinet. I think it was an S3 Millenium model, unused and quite expensive. But looked great.

hmmm, tough call, both are Beauties
maybe a black repaint this time

Had a chrome body i n the past, quite lovely with the 50 f2, YUM !

S2 with the 50 f2

shooting the shooter...
by Helen Hill, on Flickr

hmmm, tough call, both are Beauties

Had a chrome body i n the past, quite lovely with the 50 f2, YUM !

The challenge for me is I tend to accumulate gear and don't sell much, so reluctant to enter into yet another system. I sold some mint Nikon rf color filters a couple of years ago as I expected I'd never own a Nikon rf.... but YOLO!

The challenge for me is I tend to accumulate gear and don't sell much, so reluctant to enter into yet another system. I sold some mint Nikon rf color filters a couple of years ago as I expected I'd never own a Nikon rf.... but YOLO!

giggles...Yes that slippery slope

any particular reason for letting it go
for me it was opposite rotating direction, silly and foolish,
I should have just grooved with a new habit

still not sure if I will do it ... but I feel my will may be weakening

giggles...Yes that slippery slope

any particular reason for letting it go
for me it was opposite rotating direction, silly and foolish,
I should have just grooved with a new habit

still not sure if I will do it ... but I feel my will may be weakening

What would you say are the relative merits and weaknesses of your M5 versus an S2? I'm particularly interested in ergonomics and usability, looks and, of course, photographic outcomes :)

Back