GAS attack, somebody talk me out of buying an Nikon S2

These cameras are not as fast as Leica M but I don't mind slowing down a bit for the photography

If compared to a M3, then it's as fast, if you're using a wide angle lens or the 50mm lens. Same operation, really.

Of course a camera with a TTL meter or even AE (i.e. Minolta CLE) will be faster. But I am "guess-timating" exposure with my non-metered cameras, lately. It is faster than having to use a meter. Only AE is faster. I used to do it in the past with success, it's all in training yourself to be good at it.

If compared to a M3, then it's as fast, if you're using a wide angle lens or the 50mm lens. Same operation, really.

Of course a camera with a TTL meter or even AE (i.e. Minolta CLE) will be faster. But I am "guess-timating" exposure with my non-metered cameras, lately. It is faster than having to use a meter. Only AE is faster. I used to do it in the past with success, it's all in training yourself to be good at it.

The long focus throw of the lenses make the Nikons more precise, but slower to operate than the Leicas in general. Especially without a focus tab. That’s what I meant.

I used my S3 a lot in the rain with an umbrella in one hand. The focus wheel is a blessing. But what finger do you use? I started out using my index finger for both focusing and shooting, but now I keep my middle finger on the focus wheel and index finger on the shutter, thumb on the advance lever. These cameras are not as fast as Leica M but I don't mind slowing down a bit for the photography I do, and it helps if you are generally in the range you expect to be photographing anyway. If I'm preset for 3m, it's a short move to 2m or 5m.

Nikon S3 + Nikkor-H 5cm f/2, HP5 @800

That is exactly how they were designed...three fingers. The index finger and thumb are for shutter speed changes. In general I find I am primarily in aperture priority, especially with the 3.5cm f2.5 as the f-stop dial is harder to access. Set it at f8 or f5.6 and go.

I have a 3.5 f/2.5, 5.0 f/1.4 and a 10.5 f/2.5...all with cases, caps and hoods. I own two bodies...a S3 and a black repaint S2 (very pretty). I have a varifocal finder, for the S2 primarily, though it makes proper framing more accurate, especially for the 10.5 lens. The S2 and S3 both have their virtues and advantages. The S2 is wonderful with the 5.0 attached with a perfect view finder. That is how it lives primarily. The 35 seems to live on the S3. So, you use the full viewfinder on each camera. Having one black and one chrome body makes picking the preferred lens an easy thing.

Can I ask about the rangefinder focussing of the S2 in comparison to the Leica M camera's? I have the M6TTL 0.85 and M11. I am getting an Amedeo adapter to try some S lenses on the Leica's. But I have been looking at some nice options of buying a Nikon camera plus lens. I have heard some horror stories of the big viewfinder but still very difficult to focus the camera due to dim rangefinder patch. Can't imagine it is so difficult because you all are clearly so happy with the Nikon rangefinder camera's. Still I have never held a Nikon RF so better to ask before buying a camera that I wouldn't use. Are the S2 and m6 camera's comparable to focus?

The S2 will have fuzzy edges on the RF patch compared to the distinct edge on the RF patch of a Leica.

Dim RF patches are specific to individual cameras, same as with Leica. Dim patches are not an across-the-board defect across all Nikon RFs, really just depends on how well the cameras were stored/cared for over their lives. Too many of these cameras spent a lot of time in hot attics! Generally speaking S2s are not as likely to have dim patches as SPs and S3s.

Hope this helps!

These cameras are at least 65 years old. The reflective surfaces of the rangefinder mechanism can break down. I have 5 Nikon S2 bodies, one suffers from a dim RF patch. The others- less flare than the S3 and S4, much easier to focus than they are. The RF patch is not as well defined as on the M3. But- it is as easy to focus for me,

These cameras are at least 65 years old. The reflective surfaces of the rangefinder mechanism can break down. I have 5 Nikon S2 bodies, one suffers from a dim RF patch. The others- less flare than the S3 and S4, much easier to focus than they are. The RF patch is not as well defined as on the M3. But- it is as easy to focus for me,
Thank you. So dependent on the specific state of the camera.

Since moving to Seattle, I'm kind of itching for a rangefinder for fast street work again. I think I might be being drawn to the Nikons.
Tim of Leicaphilia (may he rest in peace) had been a longtime proponent of Nikon rangefinders, writing about the S4 he had just bought not much more than a week before his passing. He had a previous article from a few years back stating that the Millennium S3 and 50mm ƒ/1.4 kit was one of the best deals in film rangefinders
http://leicaphilia.com/the-leica-experience-without-the-leica-2/

Last edited:
Between the S4, which I've owned since 1996, and the S2: The S2 finder does not flare like the S4. You can use the 35mm wide on the S4, use the entire frame- but the downside is the flare. The S2 is the best Nikon RF for a 50mm lens. Use the external finder for the 35mm and others. I grab the SP for Telephoto, and the S3 or S4 for wide.

Over the years I have had the SP 2005, S3 2000 (both chrome and black), many SPs, a couple of S3s, and one S2.

I ultimately kept just the S2. I use it with a 35/2.5 Nikkor, and a 50/2 Nikkor (late, black barrels.) I have a 35mm Nikon viewfinder for when I shoot the 35. I don't have any telephotos, as I found I never used them on rangefinders, although I've had the 85, 105, and 135 in the past. They are all great.

With my Amedeo S-mount adapter I can use these lenses on my Leicas.

And thanks to @Sonnar Brian I have two Zeiss Sonnars that have been adjusted for use with the Amedeo!

So now I can use a 50/2 Sonnar and a 50/1.5 Sonnar on the S2 as well as on my Leicas.

Last edited:
Who works on the Nikon S rangefinder series in the US? Would DAG be a able to fix these? Are there parts that are irreparable? Just wondering as I may want one.

Tim of Leicaphilia (may he rest in peace) has been a longtime proponent of Nikon rangefinders, writing about the S4 he had just bought not much more than a week before his passing. He had a previous article from a few years back stating that the Millennium S3 and 50mm ƒ/1.4 kit was one of the best deals in film rangefinders
http://leicaphilia.com/the-leica-experience-without-the-leica-2/
That's the sense I was getting, the cost for a very good condition S3 millennium kit is about what a used and abused Voigtlander Bessa R-series M-mount camera would be without a lens. I've watched those prices. And the Nikons seems the better-made camera.

Back