Give me liberty or give me death. ?

My observation, for what it is worth.

As a street photograph it is kind of meh.

As a political statement, which is how your thread title is leading us, I think it is in the wrong forum.

As a political statement, which is how your thread title is leading us, I think it is in the wrong forum.

I suggest that taking it as a political statement is a tendency on your part towards polarization, and we should assume the path of least debate, in order to treat one another as humans and friends. As a street photo, I do want a little more, though. Some interaction would improve it a lot (and not just with the cameraman).

I suggest that taking it as a political statement is a tendency on your part towards polarization, and we should assume the path of least debate, in order to treat one another as humans and friends. As a street photo, I do want a little more, though. Some interaction would improve it a lot (and not just with the cameraman).

I did not write the title, which is certainly polarizing in and of itself. I am more than happy to consider that I could be misinterpreting that title, and I am always amenable to treating everyone around me as fellow humans and friends. I certainly mean no disrespect to jscoleman. Perhaps we could rewrite that title to be less critical of those people standing on that street? Give me Freedom is certainly implicit in the activity being documented by this photograph but the death part in that title is less clear to me.

However, I have made my point, perhaps even overdone the point, so I will step away and let the rest of you discuss the merits of this thread. Since I find this whole thing mildly offensive, and more than a little political, I will be happy to step away and ignore this.

Your photo isn’t good. It’s too literal and says nothing we don’t already know. This time next year, it’ll be forgotten. This time in 100 years it won’t matter because the people would have seen the works from the people who did it before you. Since you’ve already tried to justify your photo to us it makes it even weaker. Work on your titles and work on your content

The reaction to the OP's photo and title is quite extraordinary, and nasty. I wonder why?

The composition is good. It’s in focus. The message is clear. It is (in my opinion) good street photography. Better than most posted here in RFF (mine included).

I personally do not agree with the message in the picture, it upsets me; thus making it successful as a street photograph.

If the picture makes me upset it must be doing something right as an art form. Well done to the OP for posting.

All the best,
Mike

Fine picture, but the question mark in the title ruins any subtlety. It clearly shows where your sympathy lies, and it does so weakly. I think you should either be all-in on expressing your POV or completely neutral. Don't be subtle.

It is called “documentary”. Not regular shot of people going zombie on the mobile phones.
Is this worth of separate thread. I’m not sure. But it could be good start of photos about this, title is louder than photo so far.

No offense IMHO. The OP in the title is just pointing out that the spirit of Patrick Henry lives on and that delivering troops to fight for the revolution is exactly what those pictured have in mind.

I'm just wondering if the guy wearing the high-viz jacket has that coat because he was required to wear it for work...
That possible irony aside, this photo is ok. It is not showing me anything new by now but it is decently exposed and composed.
The title is, maybe, overselling it a bit but that's down to how it is punctuated I think. Because of the period before the question mark I am unclear where the photographer stands on the subject.
The title is not neutral but is also not very clear in it's support or derision of the subjects. Perhaps that is the point?

Jim, I think if you cropped off the right side even cutting into the sign and from the bottom to just below the "tyranny" in "I don't comply with tyranny" it would be stronger. The leading line starts with the center mass of the crowd and leads out of the picture. It may be beyond saving, IMHO.

I think you've got better pictures of similar protests, such as this:
https://flic.kr/p/2mqi2QC

Back