Give me liberty or give me death. ?

Jim, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of downloading your picture from Flickr, taking it into GIMP and doing a quick and dirty crop to show you what I mean. I think this is punchier but it's just a suggestion. You may feel differently.

Attachments

• photo111392.jpg
    photo111392.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 2
First the photo is fine, not great, not newsworthy. But as was said if it's a documentary photo, it's fine. As a news photo it is, as was also said, "a little bit late."
OK, let's get a little political... the irony of this photograph to me is that those people have more than likely been vaccinated for Polio when they were young, the same as me and most likely you. And, that is the reason for them being able to "stand" there and not being confined a wheel chair or leg braces in that photo. I still remember the day my family was first vaccinated for Polio. We weren't afraid, there was no one protesting getting vaccinated. Everyone that day who lined up for the vaccine was relieved and glad to be standing in line. It represented hope for a better future without Polio. Times change. People change.
That said, they are entitled to their own opinion. They are entitled to protest as well. Enough said...

Jim, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of downloading your picture from Flickr, taking it into GIMP and doing a quick and dirty crop to show you what I mean. I think this is punchier but it's just a suggestion. You may feel differently.

I prefer your crop. And the commercially printed "Honk" signs make me wonder who is funding the protests. Those signs aren't free.

Has the OP tried the image in black and white?

The image reminds me of an 1877 John Thomson photo of a sandwich man for some reason.

I saw a small protest like this on a street corner in Naples Florida back in July. They were all young, vigorous, affluent looking, and very happy looking I might add - all screaming, smiling, and waving at passing cars proclaiming their rights. etc. These are 1776 patriot minute men types you know - fighting old King George and proclaiming their rights! - their right to contract and spread a lethal lung disease. These poor, deprived dears.

Respect or pity or both? Hard to arrive at that. Liberty to wear flip flops against her mother’s advice? An outsider wonders at double x. If I was driving past I would not speed up or honk and certainly not slow down.

It came out last year that Koch Industries front groups were funding anti-lockdown protests, same as the Tea Party protests and current critical race theory moral panic.

https://theintercept.com/2020/03/26/...c-coronavirus/
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-amid-pandemic

Right wing conspiracy. Left wind conspiracy. Need Billionaires to buy those poster boards. God people get your head out the sand and stop with the politics. But as long as you want to make it political our current VP when asked if she would take the vaccine she said NO in the debates. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Then let's understand if you get the vaccine you'll still get Covid. I have and seems I know more people that got Covid after the shots then before. So I got the shots, got Covid, and in the days before I came deathly ill I probably spread it around thinking I couldn't get it. It's all political science, both on the left and the right.

But as long as you want to make it political our current VP when asked if she would take the vaccine she said NO in the debates.
Maybe watch the debate again. What she actually said was:
“If the public health professionals, if Dr. Fauci, if the doctors tell us that we should take it, I’ll be the first in line to take it. Absolutely. But if Donald Trump tells us that we should take it, I’m not taking it.”
https://youtu.be/-dAjCeMuXR0

I always question the sanity of anyone wearing sandals in cold weather..

This year I went for Halloween stroll with our youngest daughter and neighbors kids and relatives. I forgot they are Sunni or Shia. Their grandma went trick or treating with us in sandals.
We live in multi-cultural part of Canada and it is common to see people in sandals year around.

This year I went for Halloween stroll with our youngest daughter and neighbors kids and relatives. I forgot they are Sunni or Shia. Their grandma went trick or treating with us in sandals.
We live in multi-cultural part of Canada and it is common to see people in sandals year around.

Off-topic, but I greatly enjoy your thread Ontarian with Ontarian Leicas, Kostya. I love seeing the life you've made in the country you call home as you've developed and progressed and experimented as a photographer. Reminds me a lot of Fred Herzog, albeit on the other side of the country. There's a very different appreciation that immigrants have for the countries they live in as compared to native-born residents. There's a good reason why here in the US, many of our best classic movies were made by immigrants.

Back