Good camera to indifferent snap shooter ?

• Thread starter dee
  • Start date
  • Replies: Replies 0
  • Views: Views 2K

dee

Well-known
Local time
3:12 AM
Hi Roger .
I put this here because you explore other avenues and have been sympathetic to my ramblings .
I have a mind glitch whereby everything is snapshots / details , but never blurring the edges to create a continuous film .
It's all dream state /lostness .
10 years ago ,I bought a Leica M8 and a used Leica Digilux 3 from an inheritance for all the wrong reasons ,
one to get back to someone who put me down and kicked me around
two because I had painstakingly learned from my Minolta SRT , to see the aperture ring and shutter speed dial and make an assesment of the exposure which I could adjust instantly .
Digital cameras hid this essential behind wheels and screens , confusing me .
The M8 did not , I still love it with a CV 35mm f2.5, but the handling is not familiar to that SRT input .
But times have moved on and I found a group of cameras , again , well beyond my ability which feel as 'real/tangible ' as that Minolta SRT - no mean feat .
The cameras in question are Fujifilm X-Pro1 [ rangefinder style ] , Fujifilm X-T1 [ SLR style ] and Fujifilm X-M1 [ compact style ]
All bought BRAND NEW with 27mm , 16-50 [ for 24mm equivalent ] and typical 18-55 known from my Sony A35 with poor EVF and indifferent build and handling .
All for under £1000 over 3 years . £4000 originally
They are way beyond my limited capabilities . As a designer , I have a fair eye , but technically , it's a bit hit and miss .
The Fujis feel and handling are reminiscent of my Minolta SRT , and , one I had sorted the X-Pro1 , the 16mp sensor and menu etc are identical for all three , making it all much easier for me .
I know what the results will be , whether it's my shoulder bag 'note book ', the architectural recorder using that reminiscent clear finder and 27mm , or the SLR type with zoom lens .
i admit that auto exposure suits me because I can shift quickly with the exposure compensation dial .
I seem to be reducing what were once professional quality cameras to point and shoot which seems a bit disrespectful .
i bought these cameras because each came with , or a lens which I would use - I don't do telephotos as I am sensitive to perceived distortion , though 24mm is fine for clouds LOL-
I know that they are outdated , but I take things slowly , and houses tend not to move much , and I have an SLR for kid chasing .
Like that M8 , it's not about how great the Iq etc , it's about a connection , which also , like Minolta SRTs and Contax II/IV , creates a comfort zone close to me .

This has nothing to do with photography , I don't really see it as a 'valid ' reason for buying these 3 cameras , but maybe there is room for those of us who are otherwise .
Respect
dee

Back