Has anyone with an X-T2 or X-T3 purchased an X-T30?

ParkerIsa

Local time
7:15 PM
What was your rationale for buying one? Has it lived up (or exceeded) your expectations? How does the viewfinder compare to the X-T2/X-T3?

I bought an X-T30 for my wife because the X-T3 and X-T4 were out of stock a year ago. I’ve used it a few times and I used to have an X-T2. I’d say the external controls of the X-T models are still a big advantage. The X-T30 is much smaller and lighter though which is nice. Viewfinder on the X-T models is definitely better. That being said the images are good from both.

How many X-T models are there? Thinking about get one and looking on the Fujifilm site the number of X-T models (and no way to compare them) is utterly bewildering.

How many X-T models are there? Thinking about get one and looking on the Fujifilm site the number of X-T models (and no way to compare them) is utterly bewildering.

Off the top of my head... 10?
  • The single digit models (X-T1, X-T2, etc.) are the "serious" cameras. As a general rule, they have larger viewfinders, weather sealing, and more physical controls.
  • The double digit models (X-T10, X-T20, etc.) are the stripped-back versions. They should have similar imaging quality to the single-digit equivalents, but with a reduced feature set.
  • The triple digit models (X-T100, X-T200) have similar styling and functionality to the double digit models, but with the cheaper/more standard CMOS sensor of the X-A series. The model numbers of these don't tally with the others - i.e. an X-T100 isn't of the same generation of the X-T1 and X-T10 - and they're really just X-As with an EVF. I don't know who'd buy one - if I didn't want to shell out for the latest X-T but still wanted an EVF, I'd get an X-E instead of an X-A in disguise.
Of course, higher numbers = newer, more resolution, cleaner shots at high ISO, better video capability, etc.; it's up to you if you think that's worth the increase in price. I was still using an X-T1 until 2020. That thing is a real workhorse. The X-Pro 2 I upgraded to produces higher resolution and has superb low-light capability, but honestly, I only really upgraded for cleaner video quality. Outside of that, the X-T1 was fine.

Coldkennels, that is exactly what I was looking for. I started out on this gas attack when I picked up an X-E1 in a trade. Liked it but too minimalistic. So sold that and bought an X-Pro2. Liked that but then I had to upgrade when the X-Pro3 came out. Really did not like the X-Pro3 so got rid of that and bought an X-E3 that I like a lot. But there are features off the X-T cameras that look nice. The lack of camera stores where you can check them out is definitely a hindrance in buying a new camera.

If there’s a Best Buy store nearby, that is a very good place to check cameras.

I’ve been able to examine X-100V, latest Nikon, Canon, Sony, and lenses.

The lack of camera stores where you can check them out is definitely a hindrance in buying a new camera.

I'll agree with that. For a while, the best place I found to tinker with new cameras was in the "technology" shops in duty-free sections of airports... I travelled internationally for the first time since the pandemic began this year and even those places don't sell cameras anymore. Weird times.

Out of interest, what is it you prefer on the X-E3 over the X-Pro 3?

Back