Help w. Nikon Coolscan IV and Vuescan

sooner

Well-known
Local time
7:19 PM
Hello. I bought a Coolscan IV but am having a heck of a time getting it to load. I get the error code 10 and Vuescan won't find the scanner. I follow the directions to turn it off and on again, etc.; it's not the cable or usb slot. Seems like maybe after 20 times of doing this I don't get a driver error in Windows 10 and can use the scanner, but this is insanely frustrating and I just don't know what's going on or how to fix this. Any help out there?

Try loading the Nikon Scan software to make sure the scanner is working. I am not a Windows user but I believe there are workarounds to get Nikon Scan working on a modern Windows system.

I don't know what the error code is in Windows, but it could be your cable. Check that or get another.

The Windows error code 10 tells that the peripheric driver software is outdated and needs an update. Depending on your version of VueScan, it might not have installed the expected Coolscan IV driver on your computer when you've set it up. Could be that VueScan is looking for a Coolscan V or whatever when it tries to recognize a connected scanner.

Try to get a Coolscan IV driver update here, then run it on your PC and restart it before plugging the scanner, turning it on, and launching VueScan :

https://driverscollection.com/_4340...can-IV-LS40-Firmware-v.1.2.0-for-Windows-free

Thanks for the tips so far. I know it's not a usb problem. After posting this today, the scanner just started working again after many repetitions of plugging it in again. Most of the time Windows gives me an error, but then eventually it works. Why, and how can I increase my success rate?

I find that you need to connect and power up the scanner before starting VueScan.
Yes, Windows must have noticed the powered and connected scanner (your computer will emit the typical bell sound telling an USB device has been identified by Windows) before you start VueScan.

When you end your scanning session, you must do it the reverse way : you must close VueScan before you disconnect the scanner and power it off (it is safe to power it off directly). At that point, make sure all instances of VueScan are closed by checking the programs manager (Crtl+Alt+Suppr), for both app. and process.

Back