Help with a CV 35mm Ultron

ray*j*gun

Mentor
Local time
5:17 AM
OK so I have this really nice 35mm LTM CV Ultron that I used very little and recently put on my M8u. It has become hazy uniformly and to test it I compared the images with other lenses that are sharp and recently used. I was told that the haze is likely the element cement breaking down and that it can't be cleaned but would need new elements. I was also told that this is unique to CV lenses. The opinion is from a tech, but I find it hard to accept. I have many other CV lenses with no issues.

Thank you in advance!

My LTM Black 35/1.7 Ultron, SN block 945- glass is perfect. I've had this lens for over 12 years now.

As I possibly wrote in the other (linked) thread, I own the same lens. Bought it from a Japanese seller on Yahoo! Auctions, described as slightly hazy. In normal light it looks slightly hazy but the flashlight test revealed the truth, almost opaque. The lens flares badly against any light source. I had sent it to Cosina in Nagano, since they are basically around the corner from where I live, and received an email the next day telling me that the problem is element separation and there would be no more spare parts for this lens, repair impossible. One day, I might try repairing it myself if I find a good glue and the lens is easily to disassemble.

Sorry for your loss. It is well known problem. Just look at ebay listings. but, please, closely.
Also here is the thread on RFF which shows this lens as the problem.

It is not repairable without optical elements separation, as far as I know.

Thank you all for your comments and feedback. I'm truly disappointed and discouraged. I was not aware of the problem and mechanically it's pristine which will make a great paper weight.

Any other CV lenses that I should be wary of in the future?

Again thanks.

I had 4 defective lenses. I bought them all new. the problem is the same, the cementing became unclear, foggy (useless):
-skopar 35 ltm
-nokton 50 ltm
-heliar 75 ltm
-apo 90 ltm
-ultron 35 ltm (not mine. my friend owns it)
bonus: cv meter ii died in its box (does not work below 8ev).

Back