Hey, strangers - back with a Q2M

Ken Ford

Refuses to suffer fools
Local time
7:12 PM
It’s been three and a half years since I’ve logged in at RFF. It’s been busy - first a move from IL to NH, and now to central TX. I’ve had enough of moving!

I’m trying to get back into the groove of daily carrying and using a camera again. Back when I was in IL I did a fair amount of urban landscape, but haven’t done anything since I left there in 2020. I live in an interesting small city now with great streetscapes, and I’m only an hour from Austin which is an urban shooter’s delight.

I’ve tried numerous small digital RFish systems, and I’ve never been completely happy. I have also never completely bonded with my M-P240 because I’m having issues with RF focusing - aging eyes and all that. What I always admired was the Q and then the Q2 because I do much better with an EVF. I finally broke down and ordered a Q2 Monochrom, it should be here this week.

I’ll probably spin off the MP240 and just keep my three key M lenses (21/3.4 ASPH, 35/2 ASPH and 75/2 ASPH) plus my trusty M6. Hopefully Leica will do a EVF equipped (no RF) M body at some point.

I’m looking forward to the journey!

Welcome back and sound choices regarding your reasoning. As long as you like 28mm. I am not a fan of digital zoom too much.

Nice to see you again! It's been a while, but never too long to not return. The Q2M should prove a lot of fun in your hands. With the high megapixel count of the sensor, you'll be able to crop without much resolution penalty.

Welcome back and sound choices regarding your reasoning. As long as you like 28mm. I am not a fan of digital zoom too much.

Thanks! That was the main reason I passed on the original Q, I didn’t feel the crop was usable. The higher resolution of the Q2 should be more usable, I’ve seen plenty of 75mm equivalent crops that I thought were completely acceptable - at least as good as TX.

Nice to see you again! It's been a while, but never too long to not return. The Q2M should prove a lot of fun in your hands. With the high megapixel count of the sensor, you'll be able to crop without much resolution penalty.

Thank you! That’s my hope, too.

From the traffic in the subforum, there doesn’t seem to be much interest in the Q series. Yes, I know it’s not a rangefinder, but that’s it’s ancestor.

woohoo, Lovely to hear, your back, your under the Q2M spell
and great photos to follow... Cool !

I loved the Q, I imagine Q2M is yummy Fab ~

Long time no see! Welcome back, Ken. Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Q2M, clearly an enthusiast version. The original Q version is my current go-for-a-walk camera; like it a lot. I don't use the digital crop feature and have forgotten it's there...

From the traffic in the subforum, there doesn’t seem to be much interest in the Q series. Yes, I know it’s not a rangefinder, but that’s it’s ancestor.

I think I actually semi-forgot that the Q series has autofocus! That helps explain its popularity in the world outside, I used to see a Leica only very rarely, but it's not unusual to see someone toting a Q now when I'm in Portland or Seattle. Fine cameras, I just wish I could afford one.

I’m surprised to not find a Q2M photo thread, or even a Q2 specific one - the main Q photo thread isn’t very active and doesn’t seem to have Q2 images. I’ll go ahead and start one shortly.

Welcome back Ken. Those Q series cameras are amazing photographic tools - check out the Leica camera blog if you haven't already. Much of the features on there were shot with them.

Back