Hitler, The Lost Tapes... Photography, Propaganda, Leica

helen.HH

A smile & a wink…
Local time
9:37 AM

If you can access 'All 4 TV' .... British channel
then this is a very interesting 4-part Documentary with a major Photography slant to it.

It delved deeply into the image of Adolf Hitler carefully created by his official photographer, Heinrich Hoffmann, and included many new images that are being seen for the first time having been digital remastered.

Documenting Hitler's rise to power and leadership, Heinrich Hoffmann's photographs are a remarkable record of the public face of a man during his brief spell of absolute power

In episode two, there’s extensive coverage of the Leica cameras used by Hoffman, the Leitz factory and Leitz himself, and how his factory was so crucial to the German state at the time that they largely ignored the work he did in relocating 40 Jewish employees to Britain, Canada and the USA. It also covers film-work by Leni Riefenstahl and the propaganda use of state radio.

Mesmerizing and Frightening Documentary ... very well done

About 20+ years ago I was visiting a local camera store (no longer around) where I met this lady with a Leica M2...first time I actually held a Leica...we talked for a bit and then she pulls out one if those old B&W photos, you know the kind you got back from the lab that came in a booklet with one side perforated and the other sides with the jagged edges.
She shows it to me and its this photograph of Hitler with his motorcade driving through some city in Europe. His convertible car is stopped and this crowd of people are all around him. The lady said she knew the family of the man who took the photo and that's how she had it.
In a word it is the creepiest photograph I've ever held or seen in person.

There is an uncle in my family who did a lot of photos of Hitler that we had. One of his first speech for the party on a street corner in a vacant lot at night. Another five years later standing on the back seat if a MB convertible in an alleyway with Nazi flags in strings across the alleyway. Another doing the first shovelful of dirt for the Autobahn and another at the opening. A priest giving him a birthday present and so on. They were all stolen from me by my grade school teachers when I put them in a report. My mother still had some but threw them out when she moved. The uncle was unrepentant at war end and got some serious jail time.

If you can't access it because you don't have a registered account with Chanel 4, download it off a torrent site, plenty out there. Use EZTV, it's easy.

"The Lost Tapes"- I had to look it up. Magnetic Tape was invented in Germany in 1928, used for audio recording.
"Many years ago" at work, a Magnetic Wire Recorder was being surplused. Alternate tech.

"The Lost Tapes"- I had to look it up. Magnetic Tape was invented in Germany in 1928, used for audio recording.
"Many years ago" at work, a Magnetic Wire Recorder was being surplused. Alternate tech.

I remember well the old wire recorders. They were magic at the time. A Congressman remarked about magnetic tape with words to the effect, "You mean to tell me it is just barn paint on the back of plastic tape?" Yes, that is what it is. Tonband.

I've seen the broadcast, but nothing new as far as I'm concerned.

Erik., I seriously doubt we can be talking of the same Documentary ,
This documentary is from a purely photographic standpoint...
as far as I know this has not been done

Numerous photos NEVER seen before
discussed by Photographers & Historians

it's quite astounding to see how Hitler & Hoffmann
created the Vision and Mx of Photography & Propaganda
Engaging, Seduce the Masses with the Emotive quality of photos & words

Too bad you have a somewhat 'closed' Mind in dismissing the documentary.

btw, Only 2 episodes are out, the remaining Episodes 3 & 4 are soon to be aired in the next coming weeks.

About 20+ years ago I was visiting a local camera store (no longer around) where I met this lady with a Leica M2...first time I actually held a Leica...we talked for a bit and then she pulls out one if those old B&W photos, you know the kind you got back from the lab that came in a booklet with one side perforated and the other sides with the jagged edges.
She shows it to me and its this photograph of Hitler with his motorcade driving through some city in Europe. His convertible car is stopped and this crowd of people are all around him. The lady said she knew the family of the man who took the photo and that's how she had it.
In a word it is the creepiest photograph I've ever held or seen in person.

Wow, fascinating story... Thanks for that

I was able to access Channel 4
the Brit channel via a VPN service / Strong VPN /

If you can access 'All 4 TV' .... British channel
then this is a very interesting 4-part Documentary with a major Photography slant to it.

It delved deeply into the image of Adolf Hitler carefully created by his official photographer, Heinrich Hoffmann, and included many new images that are being seen for the first time having been digital remastered.

Documenting Hitler's rise to power and leadership, Heinrich Hoffmann's photographs are a remarkable record of the public face of a man during his brief spell of absolute power

In episode two, there’s extensive coverage of the Leica cameras used by Hoffman, the Leitz factory and Leitz himself, and how his factory was so crucial to the German state at the time that they largely ignored the work he did in relocating 40 Jewish employees to Britain, Canada and the USA. It also covers film-work by Leni Riefenstahl and the propaganda use of state radio.

Mesmerizing and Frightening Documentary ... very well done

Thanks for sharing this Helen, channel four has some very interesting programming.

Too bad you have a somewhat 'closed' Mind in dismissing the documentary.
I don't have a closed mind, I have read many Hitler biographies, Kershaw, Shirer, Toland, Maser, Haffner, Fest and many others, so it would have been surprising for me to see something new, a new view. The images of this howler monkey however are always the same.

Erik.

Poor monkeys being libeled ;). I have seen howler monkeys a couple of times in central america, cool animals. I would probably watch this documentary if it was available to me. Briefly went to the torrent site given in post #5, Norton security was alive instantly with notices about malicious software attacks. Nice to know that torrent sites are the same as ever.

Back