How about some IR/full spectrum stuff?

D

Deleted member 82967

Here's one from my long-gone SD1 Merrill:

SDIM0126-SPP-pole-WB-1.jpg

No filter on the lens and "dust cover" removed - hence full spectrum (FS) i.e. visible plus infra-red. So blue sky stays blue and foliage gets the AeroCrtome look ...

Anybody else do IR or FS?

MTVERN7.jpg

This is with the first Full-Spectrum camera sold by Kodak, DCS200ir. R60 filter, Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8. I called them up, had them make it. Over 30 years ago. Before that, worked IR Digital imagers all through the 1980s.
Still have a full-spectrum Olympus EP2, and wrote my own DNG processor to get color-IR from a Leica M8 using an Orange filter to block Blue. Like IR Ektachrome.

This is with a Leica M8 using an Orange filter. The Blue channel gets IR only, then equalize with Red and Green. This code started from one written in the 1980s.
I1015897.jpg

Now I want an SD1.

<This> is with the first Full-Spectrum camera sold by Kodak, DCS200ir. R60 filter, Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8. I called them up, had them make it. Over 30 years ago. Before that, worked IR Digital imagers all through the 1980s.
Still have a full-spectrum Olympus EP2, and wrote my own DNG processor to get color-IR from a Leica M8 using an Orange filter to block Blue. Like IR Ektachrome.

<This> is with a Leica M8 using an Orange filter. The Blue channel gets IR only, then equalize with Red and Green. This code started from one written in the 1980s.

Now I want an SD1.

I enjoyed shooting IR/FS with my SD1, 10, 14 and 15. Main drawback for me was no Live View and I wasn't going to buy a Quattro.

So, when I cut my Sigma collection to just the non-IR SD9, I got my Panasonic G1 modified:

P1070796-GIMP-Alien Map-3XUSM.JPG

Seriously post-processed - GIMP's 'Alien Map' ...

The photo is a link to Flickr, which shows a Fuji X100s.

Neil- "Dual Spectrum"- we used that term "in the day" to combine two separate bands into one image, as opposed to a "full-Spectrum" meaning getting the full spectral response of the detector. I've used Magenta filters and other color separation filters to selectively cut out part of the spectrum before, Magenta cuts out green only- makes for some interesting colors.

From about 20 years ago, Full-Spectrum Modified Nikon Coolpix 950 with a Magenta Filter. Magenta cuts out Green, making the vegetation IR only.
ir_1.jpg

Last edited:
What camera please, Neal?
The photo is a link to Flickr, which shows a Fuji X100s.

Neil- "Dual Spectrum"- we used that term "in the day" to combine two separate bands into one image, as opposed to a "full-Spectrum" meaning getting the full spectral response of the detector. I've used Magenta filters and other color separation filters to selectively cut out part of the spectrum before, Magenta cuts out green only- makes for some interesting colors.

From about 20 years ago, Full-Spectrum Modified Nikon Coolpix 950 with a Magenta Filter. Magenta cuts out Green, making the vegetation IR only.

Dual Spectrum is the term Kolari Vision was using at the time. I evolved into carrying the X100S for IR and dual spectrum and the newer X100F for color as I didn't not like the visual only look obtainable with the "Hot Filter" now matter how I set the white balance.

I have not used digital in a couple of years and now shoot all my IR on films like Rollei Infrared 400 and JCH Streetpan 400, both with 720nm filters. I still like and shoot a lot of infrared; it is just film shooting is more fun for me.

Here's another Merrill shot - this one with the Sigma 8-16mm pointed straight up - it flared quite well, eh?cedars looking up 8-16 FS.jpg

Always been wary of removing the dust cover on my SD14, partly because it seemed like the only thing holding it in was the lens. Are they particularly delicate or can they be cleaned if I get fingerprints all over it (sod's law I'll drop it).

Always been wary of removing the dust cover on my SD14, partly because it seemed like the only thing holding it in was the lens. Are they particularly delicate or can they be cleaned if I get fingerprints all over it (sod's law I'll drop it).

I kept a spare or two, Joe. Hard to come by these days. I cleaned mine with Surgical Spirits on a micro-fiber cloth.

If it breaks, you can always put a Kolari Visible filter or other such IR blocker on the lens and fix the inevitable hue cast in post.

Another one from the SD14.
I use affinity photo to set the white balance and reduce the cyan cast.
Be sure to read the manual before removing the dust cover. I broke one already :) It's finicky to do. I like the idea of the kolari filter on the lens.

SDIM0476 fullspectrum.jpg

I decided to purchase another DP1x, then had it converted to full spectrum at Kolarivision. It's still early Spring, but the DP1x is producing some nice Foveon reds. No filter, CWB on gray, minimal processing.

_SDI1512.jpg

_SDI1495.jpg

I decided to purchase another DP1x, then had it converted to full spectrum at Kolarivision. It's still early Spring, but the DP1x is producing some nice Foveon reds. No filter, CWB on gray, minimal processing.
Very nice, Gary. Do I recognize the processing style ... ?

Very nice, Gary. Do I recognize the processing style ... ?
Thanks Ted. Good to see you here. Not much to say about processing. For these it was Sigma Photo Pro, adjust for any blown highlights, then save to AdobeRGB, 16bit Tiff. In Photoshop, I use the Hue/Saturation menu, mainly for the Reds, then minor adjustments for Yellow, Cyan and Blue. Also use NIK on just about everything. Yes, this is the same processing that I've used for years on my FS-Sigma digitals.

Back