How charjohncarter does it...

John - I regularly use your HC110h + rodinal recipe for Tri-X. What came of your experiments with borax?

It worked OK but in the end it wasn't really any different from the above. Also, I had occasionally irregular development. As I use minimal agitation I found I could go 5 minutes between agitation and be safe with the HC-110h + Rodinal.

Thanks John - you answered one of my questions earlier; I tried some Delta 100&400 and sent them away for D&P and scanning (I dont have a scanner) and when they came back, they were "flat and lifeless", whilst XP2 and Tri -X (sent to another lab) were full across the tonal range. I now realise it was the scanning and PP and not the film (no reason for me to avoid Delta anymore).

Can you explain in more detail about your "three curves adjustment layers"?

Can you explain in more detail about your "three curves adjustment layers"?

Bindie
I think you need to post this in the other similar sticky Chris Carter thread, he it is I think refers to three curves herehttp://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/technical/scanning.php

Best
ChrisL

Bindie
I think you need to post this in the other similar sticky Chris Carter thread, he it is I think refers to three curves herehttp://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/technical/scanning.php

Best
ChrisL

I don't use this method. In fact I don't even know what it is. But anything to add some spark to B&W. One little trick (not mine [and not related to 3 curves], but I use it some times) is the use unsharp mask at AMT 15, RADIUS 25-50, and THRESHOLD 0. It adds a little middle contrast.

I think he was talking about my scanning info on my website. My Nikon scanner gives very flat results from scanned negs, so i use curves adjustment layers in Photoshop to bring out the full tonal range. How many I use depends on the photo, some I can make good with a single curve adjustment, others take several. There is no 'standard' set of curves that can be applied to all images. You have to do it individually by eye for each scan.

My first run Carter style.
400-2 TMY in HC110 + Rodinal
5472572522_8b01f47b13_z.jpg

5472572386_178e4d5281_z.jpg

5472572350_1d2d95d48b_z.jpg

5472572216_7b25eb2dd8_z.jpg

5471980491_ab978595bd_z.jpg

5471980385_542427015b_z.jpg

John's posts are always from the heart.
He's one of my favorite here in RFF too.

One of only a few, I might add. :)

It's time for him to get the deserved acknowledgement.

Thank you master ;)

Nice words, but I've had a very poor Winter. I don't think I have anything (B&W)to show from it. I have some Puerto Valletta 35mm shots and some LeicaIIIf around town shots drying now. I hope there is something there.

Master! Hardly, also, MD and shadow fox thanks for the words of praise.

Ray Charles said when he was labeled a 'The Genius' he said 'Not me: Thelonious Monk, Milt Jackson, but not me.' And believe me I'm not a master; just a plodding photographer. We have plenty of 'masters' in our midsts (again, but not me), just be very happy that they are all willing to share what they have learned. And I love this place for it.

I could make a long list of people here that are extreme experts in all kinds of fields, example Brian Sweeney, plus many etc; these RFFers are the foundation of better photos by us all.

It's true, the family stuff is only for family, but check out his new black and white. Just amazing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carter3john/sets/72157604205002579/

It was nice of Rover to think so much of my stuff, but I'm just a kitchen developer and a PSE6 post processor. I worked hard to get my development and post processing down and if anyone gets some time saving or help, then I'm happy.

My Flickr is a mess, I shot 6x6, 6x7, 35mm, Polaroids, pinholes, probably more. My cameras range from Brownie Hawkeye Flash to Leica and Rolleiflex. I've made maybe 6-7 lenses that I use on various cameras. but the real killer is I have a lot of family stuff on there. The family stuff is very boring usless you are family. If you type 'carter3john' you will be able to get to my 'photostream.'

Thanks again Rover I really didn't think you were going to do this, but it is fine.

Gads, Fireboy, I really can't believe that this is happening. I don't know what to say, but thanks. But Fireboy, I have a new project in mind. I have many body cap lenses; my newest will be a lens from a very obscure 6x6 folder on a body cap for my Pentax 6x7. I hope it works. Next on the list is a folder lens that has X synch and on a body cap for Pentax 6x7 which I can use to circumvent the 1/30 synch speed of the Pentax 6x7

Gads, Fireboy, I really can't believe that this is happening. I don't know what to say, but thanks. But Fireboy, I have a new project in mind. I have many body cap lenses; my newest will be a lens from a very obscure 6x6 folder on a body cap for my Pentax 6x7. I hope it works. Next on the list is a folder lens that has X synch and on a body cap for Pentax 6x7 which I can use to circumvent the 1/30 synch speed of the Pentax 6x7

Keep pursuing your creative bent. We all get to benefit from it. Thanks for sharing John.

I would also encourage everyone to sift thru John's flickr collection. He's got some real winners in there and I think he's being humble. His eye for composition and lighting is amazing.

Last edited:
Back