How did you get into Leicas?

In 1967 I was working part time at Boeing while taking engineering classes on the GI Bill at University of Washington. While in the service I had an off-duty job working at a camera shop and had the opportunity to use Nikon RF and Leica screw-mount cameras. So I was using the current Pentax Spotmatic and had made acquaintance with the nice guys at a downtown Seattle camera shop. They suggested I might like to try something different, and brought out a used button-rewind M2. The price was $150, as RF cameras were in popular decline at the time, and I bought it. Ok, now I needed a lens, and the shop suggested a new 35mm Summicron, at this time still the v.1, for $164.50. This all amounted to about 3 weeks wages, but I was a Leica owner! Still have that gear... :)

I shot with former Soviet Union FED and Zorkis, including a Zorki 1, and wanted to know what shooting with the camera that the FSU cameras were based on.

DAG had a Leica IIc on sale and I bought it.

Steve W

Many moons ago, I was working and living in the former USSR where the winters were freezing cold, gray and long. And then I 'discovered' eBay.

When I was a university student, there was a Leica store between the Metro exit and the university. Eventually, after getting drawn to the window display for months, I ended up selling my Nikkormat and buying a used M2 in nice condition for $175. The year i went to grad school I had moved up to a black M4 and summicron 35. A few years later I went to work in Japan. I took a used chrome Leica & 50 Summicron which i sold and came home with two Nikon F2 and a handful of very nice lenses. These went back in to a Leica. I've used M2, several M4(both black paint & black chrome), CL, M6 (& titanium), M4-2, M4P, MP. My very favourite was an original & well-used black paint M2 I saw in the window of a shop in Paris for $700 (Cdn)in the mid '90s. I had never seen anything that beautiful, & I walked in an bought it. At one point I sold all my 35mm gear and used only medium & LF film. Ironically, the digital age brought me back to Leica. I'd take a few snaps with the iPhone ...some were good images, but i missed the printing. Unwilling to pay the high premium for a black M2, I use a bp M4 as well as a CL (with a 35mm Elmar for my pocket camera)

Hi John,

I used for a while Kodak color infrared film with many different filters. That was a lot of fun then. You have to study the season and the surroundings to identify IR emissions, and then the fun starts with guessing the exposure. I did this in the 1980's. I have not yet used my M8 for IR photography. I also have never used an IR cut filter on my M8. I have such filters, but I am happy with the images from my M8 without any filters being used.

Raid--

I had forgotten the color IR-- I do not think I got anything exciting out of that experiment-- with electronics, perhaps I might make the silk purse of it?

I met the "Filter King" and for awhile I was able to get custom filters made for a reasonable price-- I had a proper deep IR filter-- great to use RFs with those-- I have lost that source-- Also, you can guess the M8 advantage, with fast reviews for exposure--

I suggest you grab a good deep IR cut filter and give it a try- I am not speaking of the filters that leica gave away, but the "opaque" IR filters-- I suppose I should leave out the "cut" in the description. The dark IR filters I am trying to refer to cut everything above the IR range, while the Leica filters were cutting out the IR that might have cause a problem-- the sensor is sensitive to IR--

Abe Frajndlich mastered Kodak Hi Speed IR film in the '70s - should be a book of IR work done in Cleveland-- Abe and I were in Grade 7 and Camera Club together-- he became a Master Photographer-- we met up again in 1970 and I was part of the nudge along his path-- he met Minor White here and went to study with him--

I did not know at the time, but he had, probably, his dad's, Leica Screw Mount, would guess a IIIf--

j

My first Leica was a IIIf purchased in 1978. Can't remember how much it cost, but couldn't have been a great deal. Because of that camera, I taught myself to develop my own film (b&w of course) in my apt kitchen at night. I then bought a very old hobby enlarger and learned to print also. Eventually I had a 4x5 field camera and a Beseler 4x5 enlarger. Built my own sink etc. Ansel Adams' books were my bible. I credit all of this to that little IIIf. Since then I have owned many different cameras including a number of Leica M's. My Current favorite is my old Nikon S3.

When I was a university student, there was a Leica store between the Metro exit and the university. Eventually, after getting drawn to the window display for months, I ended up selling my Nikkormat and buying a used M2 in nice condition for $175. The year i went to grad school I had moved up to a black M4 and summicron 35. A few years later I went to work in Japan. I took a used chrome Leica & 50 Summicron which i sold and came home with two Nikon F2 and a handful of very nice lenses. These went back in to a Leica. I've used M2, several M4(both black paint & black chrome), CL, M6 (& titanium), M4-2, M4P, MP. My very favourite was an original & well-used black paint M2 I saw in the window of a shop in Paris for $700 (Cdn)in the mid '90s. I had never seen anything that beautiful, & I walked in an bought it. At one point I sold all my 35mm gear and used only medium & LF film. Ironically, the digital age brought me back to Leica. I'd take a few snaps with the iPhone ...some were good images, but i missed the printing. Unwilling to pay the high premium for a black M2, I use a bp M4 as well as a CL (with a 35mm Elmar for my pocket camera)

Our journey with photography with all the wonderful cameras has been very satisfying. Each has their virtues and gifts to give. My favorite 35mm of all time is probably a Leica M6 with 50 Summicron and a 24 Elmarit-M. Shouldn't have sold them.

On my school back in 1971 there was some photo gear. There was a Leica M2 with 35, 50, 90 and 135 mm lenses, all property of the school. Everybody could use it, but nobody did. The most popular camera by then was the Nikkormat FTn. A good camera, a bit noisy, but a good camera. Still a good camera now.

Erik.

I was in college in the mid-1980's. In my small college town, there was a Ritz Camera franchise. The owner had a Leica R4s on display, and I would (Pentax K1000 in my bag) stop by to feel the "thunk" of the R4s' shutter. Hypnotic. There was also an student a couple of years ahead of me who was using a Leica R4s for her own work (musta drunk the same Koolaid). Her prints were the kind of environmental portraits I aspire to make and her printed images were just marvelous. At 11x14 you could really see the differences between a 35 Summicron and a 35 Nikkor, particularly at the corners of the image (and depending on the f-stop). But it was years later, in the early 1990's that I saw a pair of M3's and some 1960-era lenses at a camera shop in Oakland for a price that I could imagine paying. I still have those cameras (a DS and a single-stroke), although I have added to the stable since then, and use my film camera hardly at all these days (more's the pity).

Having looked at books of Life magazine photographs as a kid, I remember seeing the images of the photographers with their Leicas. My dad was casually into photography, but never had nice cameras. But, the photo bug hit me and I had a Pentax ME Super in high school. Well, in 1988 I was newly married and the warehouse manager of a local photo store. One day a Leica M3 with three lenses was traded in and I could have first dibs on it for $250.00 for the whole lot. I discussed the deal with my wife and we determined we could not afford it! (Ugh.) A regular customer picked it up very quickly. It would take me 25 more years before I acquired my first Leica. A tatty iiic with 50mm elmar. Sold that. Bought an M3 eventually and a cadre of lenses. Sold that and have an M2 which is a better viewfinder as a wearer of glasses, another iiic, and a iiig. And 2 Bessa's, Nikon RF's, and a couple of Canon LTM's. All amazing machines that I still shoot. Better late than never! But, I regret the years that I did not have one. SW

In the mid-1980's I lived in Boston, MA and I had a job that required some photography. The staff photographer recommended that I contact a Phil Levine to purchase camera equipment. (At that time, Levine was "to the trade only" if I recall correctly.) Phil was more than happy to outfit me with a couple of Nikon F bodies, some glass, etc. I used those cameras daily, and really begin to enjoy the experience of exposing, processing and delivering photographs--not to mention seeing these images used (sometimes).

Long story short, one day I was in the shop (picking up more glass) when Phil suggested that I try a Leica M3, outfitted with a 50mm lens, because he thought it a better fit for me when pursuing my own work. He insisted that I try the camera for a few weeks and then get back to him. After processing the first roll of film from that camera, I contacted Phil and bought that M3 along with some glass.

Within a few years, I returned and purchased an M2 with a 35mm Summicron that I still use to this day. During the late 1990's, I purchased a couple of M4-P bodies and a 28mm Elmarit lens--these things I still use.

I could not easily afford to make these purchases with the prices being demanded today; and so perhaps a life-lesson here is action sometimes pays a greater dividend than reflection. The same holds true in the field: looking a contact sheets, very often the first frame of a particular "run" is better than the images that I thought would be better but now appear "worked."

"In my photo journey" my first camera was the Olympus OM-10 and I got it during 1984 - 1985. I was in the Middle East country. Then moved in to Canon AE -1 and then to Canon-A. At this time I had a chance to learn about Bronica-SQ medium format. That camera rested to the longer period with me (up to 1996-970) and I had lot of gears in Bronica and two bodies. Then I moved into Paris. Then I owned a Canon Eos-1 first advanced autofocus in photography. Then I completely changed my Canon Gear during 1995-1996 and got my Nikon-F5. Still my favourite work horse camera.
1998 I came to London and first seen the M6 a minty camera in a case. Already M6 was in my radars due to seen great a photo-book of Sebastion Salgado) I just tested it in my hand and I felt something. I quickly had a part exchanged some Nikon SLR a Nikon F4 and
a Leica R-5 SLR and a lens for this camera. I never regret I want back to Paris and bought a M lens for M6.
So this camera caused me to sell many cameras around me including the hole lot of Bronica SQ gears. I kept back my Nikon F5 and added three more lens to Leica M6. Then I was thinking to up grade my medium format.
During the year 2000, I bought my first barnd new Hasselblad 203FE - a special millennium edition. Again my Holy Grail camera.
This is how I get into to Leica and since I had the M6 my photography skills has really grown into many levels and It is always going in the curve.
I had gone to digital M and it is quite different . I Owned M8- M9 but had the next upgrade but personally I don't like them. My only loved Leica is M2 and it had a Sutter jammed and It is now M8.2 . Still it is usable .

In the 70's, one of my teachers had an M3, so that's how I got introduced to the camera itself.

Our school band was going on an exchange trip to NYC, so i gave a friend who was into photography $350 CDN (My lifes savings at the time) and asked her to buy me a Leica M3 if she got the chance. She came back with an good user-grade M3-DS, and 2 Summicrons - a 50mm collapsible and a 1st. ver. Canadian 35mm with the goggles. She was a pretty charming girl, I doubt I would have gotten that deal. Still have both lenses - the body succumbed to the curse of the M3/2, total balsam separation, so I traded it in, in that condition, for a used Nikon F with 35/50/135 lenses.

My Oma had a very old Leica, which she taught me how to use when I was little. Years later, I bought an old M3 to use in college (graduated 1998). I also had a Nikon FM for college, which I still own. Unfortunately, the M3 developed a film winding issue, so I sold it.

Modern era, got a loaner M7 once, which I liked, but I stuck with medium format for work. As work went mostly digital capture, eventually got an M4-2, and a few lenses, for personal work.

I went off to college in 1967. I paid (I think) twenty five dollars for a Retina la. This was followed in a few later by a Miranda G and a few years later by an SRT101. Then the digital revolution happened and I got on the Canon digital train. After a few years of megapixel frustration, I decided to get the camera I always wanted but could never afford; an M3!! The camera came with a 50mm DR Summicron, eveready case and instruction book. For the past twenty years it has become the “go-to” camera. The Nikon D90 is mostly a closet dweller. It does a good job there.

I had several Canon SLR cameras in the early 1980's, and then I heard about "someone got divorced and they want the Leica M4-MOT sold ....". I bought it and quickly sold it as I was really scared of the high cost of M lenses. Then I saw an M5 with Summicron 90/2 for sale locally. I bought it and quickly sold it via Shutterbug magazine. The third Leica opportunity was a good one. A local gentleman told me about a local person who had two Leica M3 cameras where on was his daily camera while the second one was kept as a back-up that he exercised once each 6 months. He got both from Germany (with receipts and boxes) when he was stationed there. I bought the back-up M3 in like-new condition, with a Summicron 35/2 M; a Summicron 50/2 M, and a Summicron 90/2. The wrapping paper was included, along with boxes and QC papers from the factory. I still have this set. It got me linked with Leica. It included a 35mm brightline viewer and "stuff" to use with lenses for close-up photos. The set looked to be like jewelry. An expensive looking set of toys. I was/am intrigued by the history of such cameras and lenses.

I am a camera collector as well as shooter and decided I wanted a Zorki because it just looked cool. Finally I mastered loading and loved the all-manual operation as I've been shooting all manually for a long time. Upon reading more about what were Barnack copies, I discovered Canon rangefinders and in looking found a dealer and new friend who buys old Canons and Leicas, gives them a CLA and sells them very reasonably. After three Canons, I decided to plunge into my first Leica, a IIIf. Then getting into the history, I had him source me a Leica I, then a Leica II, a Standard, another IIIf, and a If. I love shooting with old cameras and my 3 black early Leicas are my favorites. I now sometime shoot other cameras but 90% of my 35mm has been Leicas for almost three years and I shoot about 150 rolls of film a year. I love the history, compactness (especially the 50mm f/3.5 collapsible) and the fun of shooting these beauties. Plus, I am thrilled with the results.

In 1967 I was working part time at Boeing while taking engineering classes on the GI Bill at University of Washington. While in the service I had an off-duty job working at a camera shop and had the opportunity to use Nikon RF and Leica screw-mount cameras. So I was using the current Pentax Spotmatic and had made acquaintance with the nice guys at a downtown Seattle camera shop. They suggested I might like to try something different, and brought out a used button-rewind M2. The price was $150, as RF cameras were in popular decline at the time, and I bought it. Ok, now I needed a lens, and the shop suggested a new 35mm Summicron, at this time still the v.1, for $164.50. This all amounted to about 3 weeks wages, but I was a Leica owner! Still have that gear... :)
Ah, the joy of working at a Camera Shop, and hanging about-- I worked at one for several years, Never took home a paycheck, -- I am still friends with the owner's son who is running things-- we made a lot of connections--
The Owner's father was best friends with my Dad-- and we became good friends-- a lot of crazy deals,

Once, Danny called me to tell me I had just bought an M2-- someone was trading in an M2 that the meter had scratched up-- a condition that the store did not want in their inventory-- so he shipped it up to me at the trade-in price-- something entirely reasonable-- turned out it had been serviced with the M4 finder installed-- My best User--

Sometimes I wish I had never got 'into' Leicas. My photography wouldn't have been any worse (or better) and I might have spent more time making pictures rather than obsessing about some obscure accessory that I hadn't got.

If I had the chance to go through all this again I would try and stick with a TLR. Something like a Minolta Autocord or Yashicamat maybe. Processing and printing 120 is so much easier!

Back