Votes: 35 14.5%
  • 7-9 years

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • 10+ years (please specify)

Votes: 102 42.1%

• Total voters
And here is an example of Tri-X expired in 1976 and developed with D23

and another one

Of course one cannot always have the same luck with expirec film. Here is some bad luck with a roll of Verichrome Pan expired in 1976:

You didn't offend me.... My skivvies are NOT in a bunch here!!

You didn't offend me.... My skivvies are NOT in a bunch here!!

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just joking, as all films I've seen that have been expired longer than 7 or 8 years have looked, in my eyes, atrocious when printed. However I've never seen professionally stored and shot 10-years-expired film, and you're right, I'm only an amateur.

Actually I wasn't trying to find out the "gold standard" for expired film... I just wanted to see what others thought, since it's a very subjective matter. With my "psychiatric help" comment I was merely trying to inject some humour into an otherwise humourless post. Sorry if I struck a cord.

(sorry, meant to say "skivvies".)

I've played with expired film for years.

Currently in my film fridge are varied expire dates up to twenty years and I have high hopes for the bulk of it. I've had really good luck with it. Frankly, I buy most of my film on eBay and a lot of it marked or found as expired. I love surprises, and I've seen quite a few. I even have about 150 sheets of Fuji Quickload and Kodak Readyload. Those are fun when they pan out.

I don't let atrocious film prices stop me from shooting. Hell, when I shoot digital, I'm lucky if 10% of my shots are keepers, and I don't Post Process.

So tell me, how is that much different from seeking and shooting expired film....

Don't tell me digital is cheaper, and for god's sake stop telling your spouse it's free. She looks at the bank account!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B&W film ages quite well. This is a shot from Foton Fotopan F 50ASA (Polish equivalent of Agfa Isopan F) 35mm film which expired in August 1973. Shot in August 2015 at 25 ASA speed. Although it is scannable, I find it hard to make any darkroom prints due to fogged film base. The oldest film I've ever done expired in May 1965. Still usable in case of scanning.

Untitled by Retrographia, on Flickr

I wish color films from same era were as easy in developing as B&W negatives.

In 135 cartridge? Where did they market that? In Germany, Isopan 125 was what they renamed Isopan ISS to after the Isopan/Agfapan transition. And they only carried it on for those formats where they did not make the emulsion upgrade. I only remember it in 126 and Rapid.

French writing on the packaging. Not sure, I bought the film from eBay on a whim.

I have Agfa Isopan ISS (125) in 35mm,

2x tins in boxes, and 1 unopened tin out of box.

My experience with expired film has been great! Considering that's all i typically buy.

Just pulled the trigger on 500' of Gaf Super Hypan II (expired 1970's?) cellar stored, luckily I found a few people who had already purchased from the lot, developed and scanned their results, rating it at 100 from 320 their images look just fine!

Now to decide if I'm going to buy another 500' while I'm at it...

In my experience, b&w ages pretty well. Of course, the higher the ISO, the more influence we can expect.

I have shot with colour neg films from 200X and they still produce decent results, some colour cast perhaps. Even film from the 1990s can be usable as long as it was stored cold and dry. I would not shoot critical shootings with it, though. ;)

But then, film can be too old, esp. if a roll is already exposed and waits to be developed. After some (perhaps 4 or 5) decades this is probably what is left:

uralt.jpg

And still, if you look at what that whizz kid does: http://www.rescuedfilm.com/
That's pretty amazing!

Found this at a flea market. 1987 Tri-X. Afaik it's not been refrigerated. Planning to shoot and develop for 100 (+2 stops). Does this sound right, any tips? Thanks
Philippe

52715546483_f3058ff518.jpg

I've successfully used film that was expired by more than 25 years. Usually B&W emulsions, but a couple of color neg. The older expired color neg emulsions produce truly interesting colors and fog effects sometimes.

G

If I'm not mistaken, that tri-x cartridge should open fairly easy like one of those reloadable types. Pry off the metal cap gently and carefully when you go to develop.... afterwards you'll have a neat historical object that can even be reloaded with fresh tri-x. Amaze your friends. Astound your family. 😁
I still have a box of 4x5 Agfapan 25 in the freezer. Probably about 3/4 left in the box I got 25 years ago from a friend who had it in his freezer for an unknown number of years. Last time I pulled out a couple sheets and used it..... turned out near perfect...I should clarify that the film was near perfect. The photographer and his skill/vision/execution are up for interpretation. I have little hesitation using well stored low-ISO black and white films that are over 20 years expired. Color film, especially slide film, is a whole 'nuther matter. I off-loaded nearly all of my color films years ago. Got 2 old 120 pro packs (Vericolor II and Portra) and a partial box of some kind of slide film in 4x5. And that's it. A big reduction from the glory days of my freezer. The sheet film is likely destined for the rubbish bin. The 120....I guess I should decide if it gets used by me or someone else soon!
Long post. Sorry folks.

@rfaspen - Didn't know this, thanks . I'll definitely try to salvage the cartridge. I have 2 rolls .

@santino - Yes .. seems like the safest option.. I think I'll go with HC-110 and semi-stand (I usually get streaks when I use stand)

Might take a while but I'll post the results here... thanks everyone.

Philippe

I've got several rolls of Efke 50, expired in 2005. Never been cold stored, just closeted. (I know -- idiot.) I hate the idea of shooting a roll of 36 and finding out it's no good. Hopefully the fact it's slow film will improve my odds. Only one way to find out, but if anyone has experience with shooting this film when it's long expired, I'm all ears.

Back