I just joined the Micro Four Thirds club!

Chriscrawfordphoto

Real Men Shoot Film.
Local time
9:25 PM
For many years, all of my digital work was shot with large fullframe SLRs. The Canon 5DmkII and a set of lenses for it have been my main kit for color work for the last six years. The image quality was magnificent, and the camera has been reliable, but I've gotten to the point where I just cannot carry that much weight around anymore.

I'm someone who carries a camera EVERYWHERE I go, and with all of my health problems, I needed something smaller and lighter.

For 35mm film, I have used the Olympus OM system since I was a kid. They were the ideal cameras for me; tiny, light, well built, and excellent lenses. I wanted a digital version. I thought of going with a Fuji Xpro-2 or X-T2, but I don't like the Xtrans sensor.

I started thinking about Olympus again. I had always thought the M4/3 sensors were too small, but I began looking at images made with them, and decided to try one. I bought a Pen-F and two Olympus lenses, the 17mm f1.8 (35mm) and the 45mm f1.8 (90mm).

Once I got all the settings figured out, I have been VERY impressed. The images are slightly noisier than those from the Canon at the same ISO settings, but Lightroom's noise reduction eliminates it without losing detail. I think I like the tone and color reproduction better on the Olympus!

Here's a few snapshots I have done to test it out:

2240018.jpg

17mm lens, ISO-200

22300162-3.jpg

My son! He'll be 21 next month. Shot with the 45mm lens, ISO-400

22300171.jpg

My mother's fat cat. 45mm lens, ISO-3200

2240035.jpg

17mm lens, ISO-200

2240035-bw.jpg

Same image as above, converted to Black & White in Nik Silver Efex 2. The files make beautiful BW images with less processing than my Canon camera's files did.

So far I love the camera. My only complaint is that it has way too many buttons all over it. The control layout is too complex; most of the buttons are ones I would never use. I love the small size, the tiny lenses, the in-body IS, and the image quality.

Cool...Congrats Chris, Looks Good !

I always loved the Olympus Om’s and the digital E1
Have not tried the Pen F but would love to

Congrats, Chris. I have been using the old model OM M4/3 cameras a lot. I love them particularly for portraits. I set the camera to Natural Color.

My only slight disappointments with M43 over FF are..........

- The crop factor can be an issue when shooting wide angle. Mostly I prefer to shoot longer lenses so it is not a major problem but sometimes I need to go wider. I purchased a rectilinear Samyang 12mm f 2 for this purpose. (And in any event who would have thought an f2 12mm to be achievable a few years ago - well it maybe would not have been if not for smaller sensors).
- In general M43 cameras do not have the best dynamic range compared even with APS sensors let alone FF ones but they are still good up to say 1600 ISO and getting better by the year (we forget that compared to film this is still way ahead).
- The focus speed and certainty is still a tiny bit behind DSLRs in my estimation but that is also getting better and better. For example I recently bought a 2nd hand Panasonic GX7 and think its better than the Olympus OM D EM5 in this regard though they are both pretty new cameras so its changing quite rapidly.
- For manual focus I still prefer the MF confirmation system my Nikon D700 uses - a bright green dot lights up in the VF when the subject is in focus. Full stop! This system is simple, fast and reliable. Much faster to use in practice than any focus peaking on any non mirror camera I have ever used (I find that focus peaking is not reliable enough for critical focus with fast lenses so I still have to enlarge the VF image to check and refine focus even if FP says its in focus. This slows things down enough to miss a lot of shots).

Against this of course is the size and weight of the M43 (I now almost always use my M43 cameras when traveling by plane due to cabin baggage restrictions etc). Also the ability to adapt any number of vintage lenses for use on an M43 is invaluable for gear heads like me.

In general therefore despite some shortcomings I still think it is worth it.

Having said that a friend has asked me to take some shots in a nightclub venue for an opening night and I know it will be dark and require good dynamic response. I will be using my D700 and a good system flash for that without doubt. I just know an M43 will struggle. (A Sony A7 would not however so there are other options too).

PS My experience is that it is ALWAYS necessary with these cameras to play with the menu settings - often things like noise reduction are set too high resulting in poorer outcomes for people who prefer to fix these things in post processing using more sophisticated tools. I have to say that every M43 camera I have used has complex menu systems though making mastery and exercise in frustration.

My only slight disappointments with M43 over FF are..........

- The crop factor can be an issue when shooting wide angle. Mostly I prefer to shoot longer lenses so it is not a major problem but sometimes I need to go wider. I purchased a rectilinear Samyang 12mm f 2 for this purpose. (And in any event who would have thought an f2 12mm to be achievable a few years ago - well it maybe would not have been if not for smaller sensors).

One thing I have found is that sharpness loss due to diffraction is a bigger issue with the very short focal length lenses used for wideangles on Micro 4/3 than it is on fullframe. My 17mm Olympus lens is incredibly sharp wide open down to f8. Smaller apertures, the images are very soft. Doesn't matter, as a 17mm lens at f8 has incredible depth of field. Its something I didn't think of when I first got it, and I had to figure it out by testing.

- In general M43 cameras do not have the best dynamic range compared even with APS sensors let alone FF ones but they are still good up to say 1600 ISO and getting better by the year (we forget that compared to film this is still way ahead).
I haven't noticed this so far. Mine seems to have similar dynamic range to my Canon 5DmkII. I am going to profile the Olympus camera with my Sekonic L-758DR meter, and that will tell us exactly how it compares in dynamic range to the fullframe Canon.

- The focus speed and certainty is still a tiny bit behind DSLRs in my estimation but that is also getting better and better. For example I recently bought a 2nd hand Panasonic GX7 and think its better than the Olympus OM D EM5 in this regard though they are both pretty new cameras so its changing quite rapidly.
- For manual focus I still prefer the MF confirmation system my Nikon D700 uses - a bright green dot lights up in the VF when the subject is in focus. Full stop! This system is simple, fast and reliable. Much faster to use in practice than any focus peaking on any non mirror camera I have ever used (I find that focus peaking is not reliable enough for critical focus with fast lenses so I still have to enlarge the VF image to check and refine focus even if FP says its in focus. This slows things down enough to miss a lot of shots).
Focus speed is good enough for me, I do not shoot sports or wildlife. I have never liked the focus confirmation systems in SLRs. The problem is, every single AF SLR I have ever owned, both film and digital, eventually went out of calibration. My Canon does not focus accurately anymore. That means the focus confirm light is off, too. I installed a focus screen in my Canon that has microprism focusing aids in the center, and I manually focus everything with it.

The Olympus focuses accurately, and mirrorless systems cannot go out of calibration, so its nice to have one that works.

Against this of course is the size and weight of the M43 (I now almost always use my M43 cameras when traveling by plane due to cabin baggage restrictions etc). Also the ability to adapt any number of vintage lenses for use on an M43 is invaluable for gear heads like me.

In general therefore despite some shortcomings I still think it is worth it.

The size and weight is the big thing for me. I am in extremely bad health now. I just cannot carry a big SLR everywhere like I used to.

PS My experience is that it is ALWAYS necessary with these cameras to play with the menu settings - often things like noise reduction are set too high resulting in poorer outcomes for people who prefer to fix these things in post processing using more sophisticated tools. I have to say that every M43 camera I have used has complex menu systems though making mastery and exercise in frustration.

I agree; the menu system is horrible on my Olympus. Way too complex.

Here's some I shot this afternoon at my favorite book store:

2250008.jpg

17mm lens, ISO-200

2250033.jpg

17mm lens, ISO-3200

2250041.jpg

17mm lens, ISO-3200. Kitty was annoyed by the toddler in the background.

2250064-3.jpg

17mm lens, ISO-3200

Congrats on your new Pen-F. I really enjoy using mine and the 17/1.8 makes for a nice small and versatile kit that I use frequently. I have many of the µ4/3 primes and just enjoy the overall size and quality of the camera and lenses. The 12/2, 15/1.7, 20/1.7, and 25/1.4 are other primes, besides the two you mentioned, I use a lot. I enjoyed all the pics you posted and wish you the best with your new Pen-F.

I shoot primarily m4/3 these days (G85 and Gx8) for the same reason you do...after decades of carrying heavy cameras, my body just doesn't want to do that anymore. If I have to shoot in a really dark place, I take the Canon 80D, though. That thing can focus in the dark!

Those are some great photos you posted. Looks like the Olympus will serve you well.

Good stuff. I paired my m43 camera with the Panasonic 12-32 pancake zoom. Ming Thein recommended it, and he is serious about equipment so I figured if he says it's good, it's good.
He's right. (I also have the Oly 25 1.8 and 45 1.8, but for daytime outside use it's the zoom that gets the most use. As you have found out, that 45 is a cracker of a lens).

Quote:
I haven't noticed this so far. Mine seems to have similar dynamic range to my Canon 5DmkII. I am going to profile the Olympus camera with my Sekonic L-758DR meter, and that will tell us exactly how it compares in dynamic range to the fullframe Canon.

In relation to this and to clarify, I am thinking mainly of low light performance where a good deal of noise can still show up -more in my experience than with FF cameras like my D700 even though its a generation or two behind. However in good light my m43 cameras - especially the more recent ones - perform creditably. and are easily able to capture both highlight and shadow areas well.

One thing I should add as a general benefit of M43 is the sharpness of many of its best native lenses. I own the 30mm f2.8 Sigma, 45mm f1.8 Olympus, 60mm f2.8 Sigma, 60mm f2.8 Olympus, 75mm f1.8 Olympus and boy they are sharp from the get go. I also use a 4/3 (not m43) 25mm f1.4 Panasonic - Leica and in the centre from wide open it is superb at all settings (and even better across the frame stopped down). I guess designing lenses for this sensor size is just easier. I cannot comment on the wider lenses or lenses that are stopped well down as I seldom stop down more than about f11 as a matter of good practice to avoid diffraction issues.

Like you a further attraction is the physical effort involved in lugging big cameras (and assorted lenses etc) around all day. It usually is a recipe for a painful neck and back in my case.

What made you choose m4/3 vs a Fuji?

B2 (;-?

I don't know about others but in my case it was pure chance. I had the chance to handle an OM D EM 5 belonging to a gent from whom I was buying another camera. I was impressed with what I saw.

Some time later a fully optioned one (hand grip etc) came up locally at a very good price so I bought it. I had in fact been considering a Fuji as I preferred their bigger sensor and the sensor technology it is known for.

Once youa re in a system it is hard to get out. That OMD EM 5 was a gateway drug.

Congrats, Chris. I'm looking forward to the results of your testing, as I trust your methodology.

Myself, I've been using micro-4/3 since the very first Lumix G1, back in December 2008 (seems like a long time). I currently use a G7 and GH3.

Regarding dynamic range comparisons between formats, I often wonder whether the differences between formats is more to do with the manufacturing process technology of the sensor, rather than the size. If you crop a larger sensor image to the same size as micro-4/3, would it suddenly have less dynamic range?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your new adventure.

~Joe

Nice pictures Chris. Sorry to hear about your poor health. I hope things improve for you.

PS every book store should have a cat like that

What made you choose m4/3 vs a Fuji?

B2 (;-?

The Xtrans sensors have too many issues. I wanted something that would 'just work' using my normal workflow, and that meant something with a Bayer sensor.

I wanted a mirrorless system because I wanted small and light. My options were Fuji, M4/3, Sony, and Canon's EOS M5 system.

I rejected Canon because they have few lenses for their mirrorless system. I rejected Sony because their lenses were to expensive for me, and because I hate the ergonomics of Sony cameras. I teach photo lessons, and my students who have had Sony Cameras have been the most frustrating ones to work with because the cameras were so difficult to use.

Olympus has affordable, excellent quality lenses, and I have always loved Olympus gear going back to childhood when I got my start with an OM-G 35mm slr.

Nice pictures Chris. Sorry to hear about your poor health. I hope things improve for you.

PS every book store should have a cat like that

Its not going to improve. I suffered a stroke that left my body greatly weakened. Permanent nervous system damage, it cannot be cured.

I agree on the cats. Here's more pics of them:

2250058-2.jpg

2250016.jpg

2250020.jpg

She is playing with a rubber snake in the front window.

Congrats on getting the PEN-F. It's a beautiful and capable camera that I wanted.

Really there is no bad prime lens from Oly in the M4/3 pool. Even the body cap lenses are usable!

This one was taken with my humble pen ep3 with the humble 17/2.8. Jpeg.
Enjoy your Pen-F!

tumblr_p4ieukT8i31tdm6l6o1_540.jpg

Back