I just joined the Micro Four Thirds club!

Look for the Panasonic 45-150mm f4-5.6 instead. Its about the same price, but has a metal mount and its sharper. Here's some work I have done with mine:

.com/cw4/images/product_full/us33-celltower-2.jpg[/IMG]

Thank you Chris I will make some research. Your photos are very nice by the way. I am most impressed.

That is a great little lens, not had problems with AF on a Panasonic GX80, but perhaps I have not hit the condition for it to happen. It has become my favorite m43 lens along with the little 12-32.

Oddly I have been using a Pen F with the 15mm and the pancake Oly 14-42 in a pocket. Really enjoy the little kit

I missed this thread when Chris started it in 2018. I’ve got the same Pen F kit, with the Zuiko 17/1.8 and the 45/1.8. A brilliant lightweight set up. Sorry that Olympus discontinued the Pen F and then abandoned the camera market altogether.

About the time I upgraded from the Oly EP5 to the Pen F, I also got a Fuji X100T, figuring I’d keep whichever camera worked the best for me. I really admire the the IQ from the Fuji X100 series, but in the end I sold the X100T. The AF was slow compare to the Pen F, and low light/high iso performance was pathetic. While the film smulations offered by Fuji are really nice IMO, the Pen F turned out to be a much better camera overall. YMMV...

Chris,

Like Bingley I missed this when you first posted. Between you and other posters I feel I have learned a lot and will be considering your choices and why. I too have a problem with my back and can't easily walk. That could be the camera I need.

A qualified Micro 4/3 camera and kinda cool looking.

50165639638_0875bf9dba_z.jpg

I ordered mine just the other day, Akiva. Should arrive tomorrow, just in time for my birthday.

Chris, I decided on this format because I wanted a good carry everywhere camera with decent resolution. It's to replace my Nikon P7700 which has a 1/1.7 sensor, and an AF system that sometimes stumbles to where I have to reboot the camera to get it to work again.

I thought about going with the GX-9 because of the tilting screen and finder as it was the same price, but it's a bit larger because of the interchangeable lens mount. I also like the controls layout much better on the LX100 II. Their innovation of making the sensor larger to cover all the aspect ratios is a big plus.

I thought about going with Olympus but after looking at one in the store I decided they didn't suit me well. I wouldn't have even looked at an M4/3 camera except that even though I've been waiting for Nikon to produce an APS-C equivalent of the S-2 rangefinder I came to the realization they never will due to fear of cannibalizing their DSLR lines.

My first digital camera was a Panasonic TZ-3, so now after using DX and FX Nikons, I've gone full circle back to Panasonic. I don't feel it will replace my Nikons, but will be with me more often than not.

PF

I was just thinking about my E-PL1 yesterday as unsurpassed digital camera for color. Every time I look at images I took with it, all are well exposed via P mode and colors are just awesome.

While on the subject of M4/3 lenses may I ask about a lens that I had not really considered before. The Olympus zuiko 40-150mm f4-5.6 ed. I saw one in a store yesterday and it had a very good price which made it potentially attractive for those occasions when I wanted a light weight lens longer for travel etc. As I mainly use primes (or vintage lenses) on these cameras I could not conceive of using it a lot but still if the price is right..............
While I understand from reviews that at the shorter to medium focal lengths (say 40-100mm) in particular it seems to have very good IQ I do find its ultra lightness and demonstrably plasticy build a bit off putting (It even has a plastic mount not metal).
Any thoughts from owners?

I have the 40-150 Zuiko and have been very pleased with it, optically and from a build quality standpoint. I can't compare it to other lenses but I don't feel a need to upgrade. Same goes with the "kit" 14-42 that came with my E-M10.

I was just thinking about my E-PL1 yesterday as unsurpassed digital camera for color. Every time I look at images I took with it, all are well exposed via P mode and colors are just awesome.

I agree that the early Olympus EP-1, EPL-1, and EP-2 did have distinctive color rendering. The original 17mm f2.8 kit lens is also vastly underrated in my opinion.

lhl_market_peppers.jpg

lhl_penland_volleyball_blue_03.jpg

A question for the Olympus users here about the differences/improvements between generations. I have the first-gen OM-D E-M10, and I like it, and lately have been using it more just for walk-around.

The two issues I've found most problematic - really the only ones that bother me - are shutter lag and noise in high ISO. The noise I can mostly live with, or just use another camera (full-frame), although improvements would be nice.
But the shutter lag (or just feel of shutter lag) is the one I just can't get comfortable with.

Anyone looked at or compared how much these improved from gen to gen (i.e. to Mk II or Mk III)?

I've played briefly with the M5 Mk II, and it seemed much, much better on the shutter lag (more than acceptable). I would consider splurging on the M5 Mk II or one of the more recent M10s (Mk III, say).

This is not for particularly demanding use, so I reckon most other improvements in the system would be nice but not must-haves. Of course, if anyone's noticed some features in the newer bodies that are really worth having, would appreciate input.

A question for the Olympus users here about the differences/improvements between generations. I have the first-gen OM-D E-M10, and I like it, and lately have been using it more just for walk-around.

The two issues I've found most problematic - really the only ones that bother me - are shutter lag and noise in high ISO. The noise I can mostly live with, or just use another camera (full-frame), although improvements would be nice.
But the shutter lag (or just feel of shutter lag) is the one I just can't get comfortable with.

Anyone looked at or compared how much these improved from gen to gen (i.e. to Mk II or Mk III)?

I've played briefly with the M5 Mk II, and it seemed much, much better on the shutter lag (more than acceptable). I would consider splurging on the M5 Mk II or one of the more recent M10s (Mk III, say).

This is not for particularly demanding use, so I reckon most other improvements in the system would be nice but not must-haves. Of course, if anyone's noticed some features in the newer bodies that are really worth having, would appreciate input.

I'm the guy who started this thread a few years back, and I'm still happily using my Olympus Micro Four Thirds gear.

If you want short shutter lag, look into the professional models. They're called OM-D E-M1, and there are four models. The original is 16mp, like your E-M10. The others are 20mp. I have the mark II; I don't think the Mark II or the X model offer enough improvements to warrant the higher cost (and weight, in the case of the OM-D E-M1x). The OM-D E-M1 Mark II is being sold cheaply now, brand new now that the Mark III has replaced it.

My OM-D E-M1 mkII has a very responsive shutter release. Very little lag compared to my Pen-F, which is probably similar to your E-M10 in shutter lag. If you use the fully electronic shutter mode, the E-M1-II has virtually NO lag at all.

The pro models are bigger than the amateur models, but they're still VERY small compared to most cameras, and they're very light. They only get somewhat big and heavy if you add the vertical grip.

I don't know how bad the high ISO noise is on the 16mp cameras like yours. Its not great on the 20mp models, but it isn't bad either. I switched to Olympus from a Canon 5D mark II, a big fullframe SLR, because my health problems were making it hard to carry the enormous weight of the Canon SLR. The noise at 1600 and 3200 is about the same as that from the Canon 5D mk II; so its not bad but is not as good as newer fullframe cameras.

I shoot raw and can make an ISO-1600 shot look totally noise-free and sharp in Lightroom. ISO-3200 is too high to get totally noise-free results without using so much noise reduction that you lose fine detail resolution, but its usable.

This was shot with the OM-D E-M1 mark II at 1600:

P2020005.jpg

My cat, Sneaky.

The Pen-F I have gives identical high-ISO results, and I would guess that is true of the 20mp sensor used in the other current-model Olympus cameras.

If you want short shutter lag, look into the professional models. They're called OM-D E-M1, and there are four models. The original is 16mp, like your E-M10. The others are 20mp. I have the mark II; I don't think the Mark II or the X model offer enough improvements to warrant the higher cost (and weight, in the case of the OM-D E-M1x). The OM-D E-M1 Mark II is being sold cheaply now, brand new now that the Mark III has replaced it.

Thanks much. I'll take a look but there seems to be a pretty substantial price difference yet in my market for all but the first-gen E-M1 (but I'll keep my eyes open), and I'd also prefer to stick with the smaller body size.

For me, the E-M5/10 fall into a better price/value range. I think the E-M5 mk II shutter lag seems fine - really wondering which models improved on the E-M10 first gen in this regard.

I'm actually mostly okay with the high ISO noise - would prefer lower of course but for critical low-light, I'll use a different system or be more careful.

But all thoughts welcome.

I shot mainly M4/3 for a long time, but got rid of my last, GX9, for a Pentax KP. I still want to have a decent cheap, used M4/3 body at some point, probably a GX85, an EP5 or an EM5 I or II. And, likely, buy a 17 2.8 again.

My E-PL1 (paid 70 USD for it used) doesn't give noticeable lag, as long as I'm using manual focus/aperture lenses on it.

I don't mind ISO 3200 images from it. It is more like film grain than noise.

If I would upgrade from it, it is going to be Pen F and 10mm f2 manual focus lens, plus 17mm Oly 17 1.8 with awesome manual focus/DOF scales.

Have you tried changing "Release Lag-Time" from "Normal' to "Short"? It's in the Release section of the menus. I'm not sure it changes much, but it might. I set my EM-10 to "Short" as soon as I bought it and am not sure what "Normal" is like to work with.

Would love a Pen F, if I could find a used cheap one, but they are as rare as hens teeth. Either they hardly sold any, or people really like them.

(just fantasizing out loud; no pm's please:cool:)

Would love a Pen F, if I could find a used cheap one, but they are as rare as hens teeth. Either they hardly sold any, or people really like them.

(just fantasizing out loud; no pm's please:cool:)

Ha! People who bought the Pen F are probably quite happily using it with no intention to sell. It would be great if Olympus brought out a Pen F II, but with all the fuss over Olympus’s continued presence in the camera market I doubt we’ll see it. Good luck looking though...

Back