I "need" a new fixed lens compact RF.

everyone obviously defending their own past choices. I tend to agree with those who praise voigtländer. The old selenium meters tend to die, but the rangefinders of the Vito BR/vitomatic series stay viable. Their lenses, Color skopar and Ultron are excellent AND they are surprisingly cheap. To test shutter performance one needs to run a film through in order to cock the shutter (too finicky to just move the sprocketwheel).

p.

everyone obviously defending their own past choices. I tend to agree with those who praise voigtländer. The old selenium meters tend to die, but the rangefinders of the Vito BR/vitomatic series stay viable. Their lenses, Color skopar and Ultron are excellent AND they are surprisingly cheap. To test shutter performance one needs to run a film through in order to cock the shutter (too finicky to just move the sprocketwheel).

p.
I have modified Color Skopar lenses in LTM from these FLRFs and agree they are very nice and work well on digital also.

yes, they are 4 element Tessar-like : if front element focussed, apparently best at 20meters. otherwise with uniform performance, Taunusreiter.de praises them.

p.

Hmm. Of 35mm ultra-compacts with meters, my favorites are the Rollei 35S and the Minox 35GT-E. Both are easily findable in excellent condition and have excellent lenses, good meters. The Rollei 35S is an all mechanical camera with match-needle metering, the Minox 35GT-E has an electronic shutter and is an aperture-priority AE camera.

Neither of these cameras have a rangefinder. It is unnecessary with a 35-40 mm lens for general purpose shooting: just learn to use the DoF scale on the lens.

My other favorite for an all manual, meterless camera is the Kodak Retina IIc from the 1950s. Folded, it's a bit larger and heavier than either of the above, but the lens is ultra-sharp, it has a precise rangefinder, and if you get into it you can also find 35mm and 85mm lenses to fit it. Again, easily findable in good shape for cheap (add in getting a proper CLA for another $150 no matter what you find) and superbly well-made, Leica lens comparable photographs.

The late '60s to middle '70s fixed lens RF cameras are all over the map when it comes to construction quality, consistency, durability, and serviceability. While there are some choice ones, I tend to avoid them ... too much to go wrong, too often. I didn't like them then, I'm not paying for them now... LOL!

G

I agree ad the rollei (as long as one does not try to collapse the lens before cocking the shutter). and the compact but complicated Retina but disagree ad the Minox: i have had several of their shutters expire even after the importers repairs. The lens, however is contrasty and sufficiently sharp for reversal film projected 6 ft-wide.

p-

I agree ad the rollei (as long as one does not try to collapse the lens before cocking the shutter). and the compact but complicated Retina but disagree ad the Minox: i have had several of their shutters expire even after the importers repairs. The lens, however is contrasty and sufficiently sharp for reversal film projected 6 ft-wide.

p-
Yes, the earlier series Minox 35EL and others had fairly fragile shutters. By the time of the 35GT-E, however, most of those troubles were long gone. I've had my present 35GT-E since 1996 or so, have carried it around the world many times: it's never failed me. The trap door lens extension also makes it one of the most pocketable cameras as the lens is covered when you stick it in your pocket. :)

G

What a healthy thread this is. Having read through it, it seems that one resource for answering the OP’s question is the legendary Camera Classics page on Cameraquest itself, specifically Compact 35’s:

IMG_1680.jpeg

My choice for this is Konica III, IIIA, or IIIM. Really great cameras.
I agree with Mark. These cameras are built like tanks and they sport lenses at the quality of a Summicron. I also like using the Olympus XA and the Minox GT and the Yashica Lynx 14E and the list of useful RF cameras goes on and on. While not with a fixed lens, I recommend getting a Canon RF like a Barnack camera with a normal lens. It is classy and functional.

Back