I would like to see what she does with film.

G

Give her a film camera and she would still be learning. Digital, electronic post processing to twist the record she has made.
Sorry but I am sick of looking at people’s images that have been worked on like a car crash victim by a mortician.
It’s not what I call photography, it’s mass manipulation. I refuse to twist or deform anything I have taken. Old school and proud of it, and yes I love being a dinosaur.
I watched a bloke shooting an image like he was using a machine gun while in Sedona, I mean how many images do these people need to record a single moment in time, I took one image carefully.
I know this comment is going to start a forest fire of hatred, have at it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-55320818

Digital, electronic post processing to twist the record she has made.
Sorry but I am sick of looking at people’s images that have been worked on like a car crash victim by a mortician.
It’s not what I call photography, it’s mass manipulation. I refuse to twist or deform anything I have taken. Old school and proud of it, and yes I love being a dinosaur.
I watched a bloke shooting an image like he was using a machine gun while in Sedona, I mean how many images do these people need to record a single moment in time, I took one image carefully.

Yawn... same old film vs. digital cliches. Forest fire of hatred? No, just boredom.

I refuse to twist or deform anything I have taken. Old school and proud of it, and yes I love being a dinosaur.

At the risk of being a bit nit-picky, we film shooters do twist and deform the photos we take. We choose (or have the option) of choosing a film stock/developer etc. to create the 'look' that reflects the artistic vision we choose to portray. All I'm saying is it's a false dichotomy to say that there's a specific purity in film photography. We're all on that spectrum. We can't avoid some form of manipulation no matter what our medium is.

~S

Give her a film camera and she would still be learning. Digital, electronic post processing to twist the record she has made.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-norfolk-55320818

Wow!

(I get what you're saying, but ... )

In all fairness, she talks about patience and waiting for the right shot. And she is probably still learning, too.

Admittedly, she does fire three shots at a time whenever she is shown tripping the shutter. This could be reasonable, however, when capturing wildlife in motion. At least she doesn't say, "It took me 50 exposures to get this shot!"

Finally, we don't know how much post-processing she does, as her images don't show obvious manipulation.

- Murray

We are living in a new age of freely accessible information, on-line classes and on-line presentations of art-work, science, and engineering breakthroughs. You don't have to study old textbooks containing often outdated and sometimes erroneous content to acquire knowledge in a certain field.

Kudos to the photographer. I think she spent time and effort well in getting good images instead of overthinking which equipment to buy. If images were taken digitally or on film doesn't make any difference to me if the audience is almost visiting her work on-line only and not just a few gallery visitors.

On top of that, which interesting film would you have recommended for her setup and topic? Kodachrome for the colors? Provia400X or Natura1600 to have short shutter times? The film choices are too limited now, especially in color photography.

You are talking about the article linked right? Sorry, but don’t see your point. Seems like a young woman using current photographic equipment to take pictures of something she likes.
The rapid 3 shot sequence is a good way to increase the chance of capturing just the right moment, something that modern cameras do better than motor drive 35mm did, back in the days they were state of the industry.
I’m a ‘dinosaur’ also, these days usually messing about with a collection of home made 4x5’s with oddball lenses never intended for that purpose. And using photo paper as negatives in them.
Still, she seems to be deriving a great deal of enjoyment from her picture taking and isn’t that really the point of any hobby?
I have my way of going about photography as a hobby, you have yours, and the next person has perhaps, quite a different way. Some folks are into wet plate, something I’m not interested in but....more power to them is my feeling about that.

No accusations against your post, just my personal observations, which are worth what the reader paid for them.

And, even back in the film days, a three month National Geographic assignment might bring back 3000 Kodachromes, and 6 would be selected for the article.

No hatred here. Two separate issues:

The young woman is taking wildlife photos. Usually not easy to capture peak action in a single shot, animals move unexpectedly and quickly. She might also be using auto exposure bracketing. Another thing: the sound track always has the sound of 3 pictures in rapid succession, this might be the idea of the post production team sound effects to add this to every shot of her taking photos. Who knows.

I spent years photographing my daughter's Saturday soccer matches. 4-6fps was a godsend to capture action sequences. Each match I made 100's of exposures then a quick cull in Lightroom. A different mindset to shooting with film but it's the results that count.

As to over-processed images, I don't bother looking at them. Visual spam.

Cheers,

I was at a wedding recently and the noticed the photographers photographing people dancing outside under the stars. Their flashes were up 30-45 deg. I asked one what she was doing, She said, "It's a technique called bounce flash". "I don't know how it works but the light goes up and comes back down". I said "you know that works indoors, right". She got mad, showed me the back of her camera and said , see the pictures are coming out fine (and they were, and they looked ok on the little screen, but likely she was draining her batteries very fast). Maybe there was a reflector inside the diffuser, but not sure what a tiny reflector would accomplish. The other photographer had no diffuser, but I saw something sticking out about 1" (maybe a wide angle plate). Looks like someone spent a few $1000s on a camera/lens/flash/etc. and decided to do wedding photography.

The photographer in the video seemed to be doing some things right.

Good on her!

I am an avowed film fan and I love working with it, but if I hadn't bought a digital camera early on when I got serious, it would've taken me a long time and a lot more money on wasted film to really understand aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. That's what allowed me to go back to film and shoot with confidence.

Returning to the photographer at hand, she's got a good eye for framing and I don't see a lot of egregious manipulation going on, certainly no more than any of us would do in the darkroom. However she gets the images, she does good work. That's enough for me.

I whole heartedly agree from a photographic angle, and I greatly prefer the direct capture qualities of film.

But most people with digital cameras are graphic artists, and care little about the classic esthetics of photography.

Back