Im starting a new photography system and need some help

We all have advice on how you should spend your money. That's life. New or used, full frame or smaller? I ask because I got a Pentax Q-S1 with two autofocus zoom lenses pretty cheap on eBay. It is a star performer and punches well above its weight. It will fit in your pocket. It has auto everything. You can get going with the camera and the two zooms for less that US$300: pentax Q-S1 for sale | eBay And if you want to shoot movies it will do that, too.

Some image examples"

The Qs are great fun. If you don't have the Prime 01 you should grab one.

51398051964_e662993fe2_b.jpg

That has an equivalent of a 40mm f1.9 prime, equivalent of a 23–70mm f2.8-4.5 zoom and a 70–209 mm f2.8 zoom. The M3 setup weighs 801 grams with the meter and Elmar on it. The entire Q setup is 549 grams.

Beware of going down the C-Mount rabbit hole.... then you end up with things like Fuji 2.7mm fisheyes take from security cameras....

38013696904_906cbdbecf_c.jpg

and the you realize it is a killer telephoto body thanks to the crop factor..

45741874754_74edc3a2af_b.jpg

For the OP though I'd suggest a different tactic... find a used LX100 or LX100II if you can for the right price. Small, light... has from a 24-75 with a M4/3 (ish) sized sensor. Can shoot in a number of different aspect ratios without much change in resolution due to the way it uses the sensor. AF is plenty fast, has traditional controls and can even do macro. You can set it so it resumes at what focal length you left it at so if you want to just shoot as a 35mm FOV you can do that. And then have the other focal lengths if desired all built in without having to carry anything extra.

The Qs are great fun. If you don't have the Prime 01 you should grab one.

51398051964_e662993fe2_b.jpg

That has an equivalent of a 40mm f1.9 prime, equivalent of a 23–70mm f2.8-4.5 zoom and a 70–209 mm f2.8 zoom. The M3 setup weighs 801 grams with the meter and Elmar on it. The entire Q setup is 549 grams.

Beware of going down the C-Mount rabbit hole.... then you end up with things like Fuji 2.7mm fisheyes take from security cameras....

38013696904_906cbdbecf_c.jpg

and the you realize it is a killer telephoto body thanks to the crop factor..

45741874754_74edc3a2af_b.jpg

For the OP though I'd suggest a different tactic... find a used LX100 or LX100II if you can for the right price. Small, light... has from a 24-75 with a M4/3 (ish) sized sensor. Can shoot in a number of different aspect ratios without much change in resolution due to the way it uses the sensor. AF is plenty fast, has traditional controls and can even do macro. You can set it so it resumes at what focal length you left it at so if you want to just shoot as a 35mm FOV you can do that. And then have the other focal lengths if desired all built in without having to carry anything extra.
Yes, I have the prime, too. It is a great little camera and goes nuts with the Tamron reflector 500mm telephoto. With the prime: https://www.flickr.com/gp/sandynoyes/87RD0hs99d

Many interesting suggestions and so much to look on but thank you all for the help. I found accidentaly on youtube a video about a canon m50ii and a 22mm lens. The setup looked really nice but is it a good combination knowing that the system is dead ?

Many interesting suggestions and so much to look on but thank you all for the help. I found accidentaly on youtube a video about a canon m50ii and a 22mm lens. The setup looked really nice but is it a good combination knowing that the system is dead ?
Bonus points for thinking creatively ;)

If the lenses that you want already exist for EOS-M, yes, maybe this could be an excellent option for you. I don't know why, but EOS-M has been almost completely ignored in the English-speaking camera-enthusiast fora. And yet, the system must have sold well enough that there are Mk II camera bodies.

The reason that I am more knowledgeable about Micro 4/3 and Sony E-mount is because they were among the first mirrorless systems available, and I never felt the need to look more closely at my alternatives. That's not necessarily a good thing, I'm just reluctant to change systems unless I feel there is some overwhelming reason to do so. I did briefly dabble with the Pentax Q system, but felt it was costly for what it was.

Id like to ask something about manual focus lenses. I saw there are from voigtländer 23 and 35mm and i like a lot how they render. Is focusing easy with them ? And most important is that acurate ?

I love manual focus lenses. I use lots of them on all of my systems - Nikon digital and Leica digital especially. That said they are not for every one. I grew up with them, I know the hyperfocal shortcuts like the back of my hand. I'll slap a lens to f/16 & infinity in a heartbeat because I know that 99% of the time it'll be in focus if there is enough light. So all that said, find a friend with a manual focus system and try them first. You may love them. You may hate them. You may find them to be meh. But don't spend that money without knowing first.

Id like to ask something about manual focus lenses. I saw there are from voigtländer 23 and 35mm and i like a lot how they render. Is focusing easy with them ? And most important is that acurate ?
MF can be easy, it can also be difficult. It depends upon the situation, the focal length (and aperture) and also on the camera you are using. I find trying to use a MF lens with a LCD only camera frustrating and difficult for anything handheld.

For a SLR it is pretty easy in good light with the exception of fast telephotos shot with little DOF, then it is harder to constantly nail focus. As the light drops down it gets more difficult.

With mirrorless with an EVF it will depend upon the resolution and magnification of the EVF, the refresh rate of the EVF, contrast ratio of the EVF, focusing aids the camera has, if the camera has OIS built in and also somewhat on the light level as some EVFs beome much noiser and lower their refresh rate as light drops, esp. with adapted lenses that are being used stopped down. Stopping down also can impact the effectiveness of things like focus peaking too. OIS helps make focus peaking more effective since camera movement isn't blurring the contrast as much.

I have a Panasonic S1R and the EVF on it is stunningly good. It is 5.76 megapixels at 0.78x magnification running at 120fps and I think a 10,000:1 contrast ratio. I find MF on it to be even easier than on a SLR even without using the focusing aids. Next up (but not as easy) in good light was likely the GXR 50R but once light dropped with adapted lens the refresh rate went way down and got noisier. The 50R had a nice function where it would show the full image and then next to the image would show a magnified view of the focus point. The Sony A7RII would be next except that in low light it did better than the 50R and it also had OIS which helped too but the EVF itself was lower resolution. The difference between the Panny and the Fuji is greater than the difference between the Fuji and the Sony.

After that it would be probably the XPro2 or XE2 but with their smaller EVFs it was harder to see critical focus without zooming in. I did use the XP2 hybrid combination of optical viewfinder with the little zoomed in EVF window for focusing and that could be effective. Esp. if I set the camera for monochrome and turned on red focus peaking as I would just look for red in that little window to confirm focus. That worked best stopped down though, it wasn't good enough for critical focus with small DOF.

I read a lot the last days and saw a lot of reviews too. Then i got so confused that i want to a photogrpahy shop and tried more than 50 cameras but nothing clicked in me. I suddently went to a friend for a coffee and talked with him about my thoughts to go digital etc. we went for a walk with 2 of his cameras, a pentax mx-1 and a fuji x70. I found out that with a screen that moves up and down and an 28mm i can make good fotos. 28 is a new consideration since then. I also liked the size of both 2 of the cameras with the fuji giving a lot better image quality but also not beeing so sharp. Is there an other 28mm camera at similar size to consider ? Otherwise the x70 would make me happy.

I read a lot the last days and saw a lot of reviews too. Then i got so confused that i want to a photogrpahy shop and tried more than 50 cameras but nothing clicked in me. I suddently went to a friend for a coffee and talked with him about my thoughts to go digital etc. we went for a walk with 2 of his cameras, a pentax mx-1 and a fuji x70. I found out that with a screen that moves up and down and an 28mm i can make good fotos. 28 is a new consideration since then. I also liked the size of both 2 of the cameras with the fuji giving a lot better image quality but also not beeing so sharp. Is there an other 28mm camera at similar size to consider ? Otherwise the x70 would make me happy.
The Ricoh GR, GR II, and GR III are very popular with many photographers, and gives a 28mm view. There was briefly a Nikon Coolpix A, which I own, should you have any questions. Both those are close to the size of the Fujifilm X70. At the pricey end of things is the Leica Q, which is also much larger.

Fujifilm also made a 24mp XF10 with 28mm. However, just like all small Fujifilm cameras, it costs more used than it was new. It also has a fixed screen. The X70 is the only one with a flip screen. Unfortunately, it also costs more used than it was new.

I too endorse the X100F or any other x body and lens combination.
Consider also the Sony A6500 and the 16-50 lens. Fast AF and excellent image quality.

Cheers!
S

I own Leica -M's, Nikon-F pro outfit, Pentax SP and K. Minolta and Canon A series. Some mine originally.Others gifts!
When I went to digital, needed for pro work. 2005,! I bought a Pentax Optio! OMG what fun! It was like having keys to Kodak warehouse.
I used mainly for Internet! Prints 20x20cm. Lovely colors. Minolta G-600 has ideal BW! Fooled all myIMG_0219 (2)11.JPGIMG_0267 (4)11.JPG film friends! Don't get a high end system. Make prints at local stores! If you become a pixel watcher, you will Hate me! Of course there's my phone! Not an Apple.

Attachments

• PICT0074.JPG
    PICT0074.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 1
You could get Ricoh GRD III instead of any GR. A lot less expensive and with CCD sensor.

With digital, just like with film. You better to find camera brand with colors you like or you would have to correct those colors to something you like and it always gives quality loss.

But just like with film, you better to process raw file, like developing negative. If not, jpeg1 is equal to Instax film.

And raw files processing has two approaches.
One is to apply some presets. Which often leads to quality loss for some funky look.
Or if you choose cameras with colors you like, it is some slight adjustments, like dodge and burn, highlights and shadows

Ouch, it sounds like you're suffering from analysis paralysis.
Analysis paralysis - Wikipedia

At current typical eBay selling prices, neither Olympus Pen-F and Fujifilm X70 seem like tempting buys to me.

Here's how I choose a camera which "just feels right": I don't. I choose according to the camera's capabilities, it's portability, and occasionally, because I think it looks cool. I find that if I use it enough, any camera becomes more comfortable to use over time. And my long-term satisfaction with a camera's ergonomics doesn't really vary much from brand to brand. Camera menus which once seemed ridiculously complicated cease to bother me as I learn to locate what I need, and disregard the rest. And I know that no matter what camera I choose, there will always be some minor aspects of it which seem kinda lame, but that's just how it goes.

At current typical eBay selling prices, neither Olympus Pen-F and Fujifilm X70 seem like tempting buys to me.

Here's how I choose a camera which "just feels right": I don't. I choose according to the camera's capabilities, it's portability, and occasionally, because I think it looks cool. I find that if I use it enough, any camera becomes more comfortable to use over time. And my long-term satisfaction with a camera's ergonomics doesn't really vary much from brand to brand. Camera menus which once seemed ridiculously complicated cease to bother me as I learn to locate what I need, and disregard the rest. And I know that no matter what camera I choose, there will always be some minor aspects of it which seem kinda lame, but that's just how it goes.

XF10 could be purchased for less and it is very capable camera.

Thank you for a refreshing hit of common sense!

Back