Fuji X-E1, various Minolta MD/MC lenses and filters

Fuji X-E1, various Minolta MD/MC lenses and filters

MINO5281D.JPG

MINO5309B.JPG

MINO5320B.JPG

sink8725.JPG

Focus--how is everyone holding up with focus? Realize there's no peaking, besides magnification, and hyper focal, what else is there?

WRONG! the X-E1 with the very latest firmware DOES have Focus Peaking and it's usable. I am using a simple Fotazy OM to XF adaptor and the firmware.(I think the last firmware is V2.62?)

It could be better and it is in the X-E2, because they added varied colors in the peaking phases. So guess what I am getting. Just picked up a nice X-E2 for $300.

I did get some very good focus using the firmware in my X-E1. The colors speed up the focus a bit.

I also am getting good shots with my Olympus E-M10 which has focus peaking from the "get-go!"

Here is a wide open click with the 100mm f2.8 trioplan at about 20feet distance.
This lens is a trip. It just sort of draws with luminance and color.
29822167470_b79a049b52_c.jpg

Andy, is that an original or one one the recent production models? I'm curious as to what mount it's in. I see them in M42 or Exakta mounts.

it's the original version in M42 mount.
This one is in nice shape. I have another that is a bit rougher.
Both were super cheap before mirrorless cameras.
It's actually better on The 5Dii and great on film.

Blue/purple coatings.
Some quick pics of lens just now.
29489825994_6a8b9e3177_c.jpg

30083123626_8cec579f90_c.jpg

2 film images I have on Flickr showing that sparkly glow w/o and then decent sharpness stopped down.
5752380017_a1a320079a_b.jpg

5752307491_2d11a5fdc6_b.jpg

I never have been comfortable using my M Mount lenses, they do extremely well but I feel that it's awkward to use the focus peaking to get the focus. Not hard, just awkward. I even have used a Vivitar 80-200 zoom, interesting but still clumsy.

Andy, love that color shot and your description !

Thanks Dave :)

I never have been comfortable using my M Mount lenses, they do extremely well but I feel that it's awkward to use the focus peaking to get the focus. Not hard, just awkward. I even have used a Vivitar 80-200 zoom, interesting but still clumsy.

I agree, It's a pain to focus with M lenses and their short-ish focus heli. Easier with Reflex lenses although still not great.

The Xpro-1 was awful with adapted lenses imo. Only wide angle hyperlocal use was tolerable. The EVF was not good enough for magnified viewing.
I relied on the LCD which meant wearing readers to focus... another pia.

With the XE1 and XT1 it's much better. I imagine later models are better still.
The XT1 is actually pretty nice to use with 50mm and longer reflex lenses.
I turn off the peaking and just go with the magnified view to dial in focus.

Unless one is searching for character... Adapting is at best just for fun.
The native Fuji lenses are difficult to beat in terms of IQ/value.

Thanks Dave :)

Unless one is searching for character... Adapting is at best just for fun.
The native Fuji lenses are difficult to beat in terms of IQ/value.

Character is the key as far as I'm concerned. I play with a bunch of adapted lenses on the XT1 just to see the look that they produce. I started out the the 85mm f2.8 Steinheil Culminar and that took me down the rabbit hole. Now I'm into the East German and Russian lenses; mostly in the 50mm range. The "painterly look" is really a fascinating thing when you find a lens and situation that can produce it.
The only 'modern' lens I adapt is the 70-300 Nikon AF lens and only because Fuji doesn't have a smallish lens with the 300mm outer limit.

Voigtlander 15mm Heliar on Fuji X Pro 2

Voigtlander 15mm Heliar on Fuji X Pro 2

Hi everyone - new here, but I thought I'd share the results of a recent experiment with an old Voigtlander 15mm lens on my new X Pro 2. I'm using the original version, prior to the corrections that were made for working better on digital sensors. Despite this I have to say the lens works very well (and it's tiny!) – occasionally I detect a loss of sharpness near one of the edges, but otherwise it is razor sharp and renders beautifully. I'm using a Kipon LTM/FX adapter that seems to work fine. You can click through to the Flickr page if you want to pixel-peep, I have the full-resolution images up there.

Getty sunset by Eric Gardner, on Flickr

Getty sunset by Eric Gardner, on Flickr

Reflections at sunset by Eric Gardner, on Flickr

A few from a recent weekend dash to Maine. X-E1, W.Acall 35/3.5. First time I've tried this lens on the Fuji, and I'm happy to report that it seems to retain the same drawing qualities that I love on film.

30417335555_c1d04eabbb_c.jpg

29785492023_5f587e283e_c.jpg

30417335985_cae2b14179_c.jpg

30417336085_522d4af548_c.jpg

Sharing a Leica M4-2 and a Fuji XT-1 with legacy lenses with my son. Pre-AI Nikkor-S f 1.4 on the Fuji and a Jupiter 8 on the Leica.

U76197I1617300403.SEQ.0.jpg

Back