In praise of the Retina II

julio1fer

Well-known
Local time
11:09 AM
RetinaII-f_zps3322fe54.jpg

This is my preferred model in the Retina line: small size, RF, Xenon lens, simple film transport.

It was the first serious camera I owned, almost 60 years ago. A twin of that camera came into my hands, and using it brought a lot of memories.

Post your Retina II pictures! I start with some from my last roll.

20200527.jpg

20200526.jpg

20200514.jpg

20200529.jpg

Last one is a central crop, the others are full frame scans.Thanks for looking!

Great back story with regards to the Retina II being your first camera. 70 years ago this was a luxury kleinbild travel camera. So, it was very well spec'd by Kodak AG.

I can definitely see where the older film transport system would be a selling point on that model. I like my Ia, so upgrading to a II would be better.

PF

I've been a big fan of the Retina II since first holding one at Blue Moon Camera about 10 years ago. I love the design, the size, and the feel/build quality. I've had a few different Retinas since then. Last summer I picked up this near immaculate early (I think) Type 14.

ACtC-3eqqscfoCcCxLGld-hp1dPyCmsJsStnkR6dxHuro8k5Y4XOx54YpW1fmL-fS9cau5cxGzGZckpCy-N6Ti20G52G8l1_hdoEW6juSo2rnP7AItVsgxh1H79wuPfHFnRkJqYsgxchDPmNCR_INWZwVg2wJQ=w1000-h800-no

Here are a few photos I made with it,

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr

Untitled by Colton Allen, on Flickr​

George Lowe took a Retina II (can't remember exact model, sorry!) a very long way up Everest before Hillary reached the top with his second-hand Retina 118. Quite how he handled something so dinkt in extreme conditions I don't know.

Here's another from my Type 014 Retina II.

From September 2019...

1949 Kodak Retina II
Schneider Kreuznach Retina-Xenon 50/2
Expired Ferrania Solaris 200
Epson V750​

Back