In Solidarity with Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell us more - which cities and factories ?

all Kiev and FED production ?

Yes. Kievs were made in the Arsenal plant in Kyiv, Ukraine (hence the name) and the FED factory is (was?) in Kharkov - also in Ukraine.

On the other hand, most lenses came from Russia (KMZ did most of them in Krasnogorsk, near Moscow; I'm pretty sure GOMZ/LOMO made some RF lenses, and they're in St Petersburg; LZOS was in Lytkarino, north of Moscow; ZOMZ was in Sergeiev Posad, to the north-east of Moscow; Valdai made some RF lenses in their plant in west Russia; and KOMZ was out in Kazan, far east of Moscow) - but not all. Early pre-war FED lenses were supposedly made in the FED plant (using Russian optics, if I remember right), and the Helios-103 in Kiev mount was only made in Arsenal.

It's long been a personal bug-bear that people call Kievs and FEDs Russian. Almost all the lenses used on them might be, but the cameras definitely aren't.

Get out there and use your Kievs and FEDs. I know, USSR products, but made by Ukrainians. It's all I can come up with -- this invasion makes me furious and sad.

I don't know. As much of a fan that I am of FSU gear, it just doesn't feel right. I tried several times last night to express my dismay in a post on here, but after three rewrites I gave up. I couldn't come up with any actions we could take here that would alleviate the suffering about to be visited on the Ukrainian people. I think about the four years I spent in the Navy chasing Soviets around the world, and to what avail? Only to see some megalomaniac who pines for the good old days of Stalin running amuck, and our former "leader" saying it was a genius move.

PF

I don't know. As much of a fan that I am of FSU gear, it just doesn't feel right. I tried several times last night to express my dismay in a post on here, but after three rewrites I gave up. I couldn't come up with any actions we could take here that would alleviate the suffering about to be visited on the Ukrainian people. I think about the four years I spent in the Navy chasing Soviets around the world, and to what avail? Only to see some megalomaniac who pines for the good old days of Stalin running amuck, and our former "leader" saying it was a genius move.

PF

Our former leader cares nothing for human rights, not even the right to life itself. He is even more mentally ill than has been discussed. "Narcissistic Personality" isn't nearly enough to explain his behavior. It's much worse. Putin, we are now seeing, is no better; in fact he's evidently much worse. Neither has empathy for human feelings. It's as if a crucial part of them got left out. Trump admires Putin, idealizes him, thinks Putin can do no wrong, and now he basks in the glory of Putin's "accomplishments" as if they were his own. He is very sick. Well, we knew that; and now we can no longer deny what we should have known all along: Putin is just as bad. But is he any sicker than Trump? Or might Trump be just as ruthless, if we didn't have the checks and balances we have in this country? (January sixth comes to mind as I type that.)

What can we do? I think we, and many other countries, need to show up to help defend Ukraine. I know, there's a reason we aren't. But Putin must know we can nuke him back. Should we write to our senators?

IMO, political discussions on fora such as this mostly seem to make people grumpy, and they don't accomplish anything meaningful. I just repaired a KMZ-made Zenit camera the other day, and am currently working on a FED. It's not a political statement, nor am I celebrating the life and times of Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky!

agreed politics here maybe not the right place, while it's understandable to be pissed off.. but photos of the situation would be great.
(and any videos pls post with links if you feel safe to do so).

PF

Well said PF (and Rob F) It's all making perfect sense now...Putin and our former president being so chummy. They are one and the same, it's so obvious

Paul

IMO, political discussions on fora such as this mostly seem to make people grumpy, and they don't accomplish anything meaningful. I just repaired a KMZ-made Zenit camera the other day, and am currently working on a FED. It's not a political statement, nor am I celebrating the life and times of Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky!

I'm not giving up on my FSU gear, but my participation in ICCD (International Commie Camera Day) this year is not going to happen. I just wouldn't feel right doing so.

PF

How's the saying go? For every complex problem there's an answer that's clear, simple and wrong...

“If there is a solution to a problem, there is no need to worry. And if there is no solution, there is no need to worry.”Dalai Lama XIV

Basically, everything in life, on this earth is Karma.....yes, even the evil that befalls.
We humans really don't like that...doesn't sit well with political agendas ingrained in ones mind.
Hence, be neutral and enjoy your cereal every morning ;)

do you see any similarity with the situation in 1938, when the nazi leader decided to take the sudeten land because some people of german origin lived in that region. That was the first sted toawrd a devastating war. I live in Italy, and I am concerned about the Baltics; Ukraine could be the first course of a bloody lunch for the russia mad man...

do you see any similarity with the situation in 1938, when the nazi leader decided to take the sudeten land because some people of german origin lived in that region. That was the first sted toawrd a devastating war. I live in Italy, and I am concerned about the Baltics; Ukraine could be the first course of a bloody lunch for the russia mad man...

Mauro, you are not the only one with similar thought…
I agree with you.

“If there is a solution to a problem, there is no need to worry. And if there is no solution, there is no need to worry.”Dalai Lama XIV

Basically, everything in life, on this earth is Karma.....yes, even the evil that befalls.
We humans really don't like that...doesn't sit well with political agendas ingrained in ones mind.
Hence, be neutral and enjoy your cereal every morning ;)

Though I am strongly drawn to Buddhism as a system of thought, I've always felt that one of its flaws is its passivity in the face of evil. If there is a solution to a problem, that solution will never take effect unless someone takes action to implement it. There is need to worry, always, for the welfare of others. It's called compassion, also one of the basic tenets of Buddhism. Essentially, share that cereal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back