Is it really true that it's difficult to buy new camera gear?

Look at B&H and see what’s out of stock. Remember it’s post Christmas. Many cities and counties impose a tax on inventory about this time of year. So post Christmas sales are usually slow and dealers don’t want to build up inventory simply to avoid taxes. That’s not to say that supply isn’t tight too.

How lower levels of supply affect you, depends on your goals. If you insist on having a very specific piece of gear, then yes, you may have to wait. On the other hand, if you need a solution for a photographic goal and you are less concerned about the precise brand/model/version, then you'll probably still have plenty options.

Yes, it's pretty typical this time of year for reasons posted above, this is historically the slow season, but there are other factors in play, too.

X100V prices are nuts... o_O

• Haha
Reactions: dct
It has nothing to do with year end taxes / inventory. This has been a problem for 2 years. Fujifilm had to stop taking orders on the X100V because it cannot make them fast enough. I doubt any of these store would pass on a nice inventory of X100Vs right now...they´d sell them all. Now, I think the X100V probably has some parts Fuji cannot source and that's another problem camera manufacturers are facing. How many companies that made parts for current cameras went out of business over the last few years?

Well, the reason given is usually "supply chain issues", but since The Pestilence, that's been a catch-all excuse for problems large and small at all levels of the marketplace and in all areas of society. While there's often legitimacy to it, it's often just that: an excuse. I think that the photography market is particularly volatile right now (future of film, future of cameras vs. phones, etc. etc.), and manufacturers are playing their cards close, cutting inventories to the bone and holding off investing in new products.
Of course, economics is far from my specialty. Keeping my own checkbook balanced is a challenge. As is attempting to sort out hype from facts, which seems to be the challenge of our times!

I read that supplies of new cameras and all sort of gear are low worldwide. Is that really so?

Not that I've found myself attempting to buy much new camera gear of late, but what I have looked for I've found readily available and the prices normal (insane but normal...).

G

@jsrockit When a secondhand X100V comes up at my local shop, it's gone within a week. Even earlier versions like the T or even S go pretty fast. It's a popular line almost regardless of generation.

I have an urge to get another X100 no initial and they are hard to impossible to find. Luckily it's just a faint urge.

After owning each of the 5 versions of the X100, I think I can finally say I am done with it. I'm more of an X-Pro guy.

In the end all these threads (in different forum) concentrate on the same hype: Fujifilm X100V :cautious::D
Admitted, I'm guilty too!

With LCAG pricing it is not difficult, it is impossible.
Everything else, no problem if buying used. No shortages at all, but in the opposite.

I was looking for an X-Pro3 at a couple of online stores here in Japan. MapCamera has two used ones that look "well-used" with scratches and dents. They have listed about additional 20 X-Pro3 bodies and all are marked sold. X-Pro2 are more easily available. Finally found a new one (X-Pro3) on Amazon Japan.

With LCAG pricing it is not difficult, it is impossible.
Everything else, no problem if buying used. No shortages at all, but in the opposite.
Not true for X100V. Months to wait. And used prices partially higher than MSRP. For the moment I stopped all my search activities for this model. Will look at it again later this year.

Not true for X100V. Months to wait. And used prices partially higher than MSRP. For the moment I stopped all my search activities for this model. Will look at it again later this year.

Fancy looking things are more popular, I guess. :) But I'd rather get GR III if new. Or GRD III if used. Both are available. I just went with GRD III intercontinentally, three countries, three weeks and back.

Funny how this discussion morphed toward X100. I bought the original in 2012 when it was in short supply and loved it so much that when the M-P came out I dug deep. The X100 I gave to my daughter for a couple of years and when she did not used it I recovered it and it is always in the kitchen for a quick family photo. The original battery is as strong as when new, I cannot fault that little marvel. Of course it is not for rapid shooting, but who wants to do that anyway?

I managed to find my wife an X100f around August (store demo unit w/after market warranty). It turned out ok, and we use it. Nothing was available new anywhere, except some questionable offers on ebay of new cameras.

Back