Is Leica really working on a new CCD sensor for the M9?

:D

Just saw this.

Gotta be honest, I was not expecting it. This is great news. I am really looking forward to images taken with this new CCD sensor as I'm not totally loving the results from my M240 with the CMOS.
They are just lacking in that sparkle that the CCD gave.

If the new CCD performs, then I can see a used market where the M9 series will be worth more than the M CMOS cameras.

Huss,

I'm with you that the CCD rendering is kinda special. On my MM9 I get this wonderful midrange tonality that is very medium format like.

The CMOS sensor seems to have better highlights and shadow detail, meaning more extended dynamic range, but the mids look a bit scooped to me when compared to the CCD of the MM9.

BTW I wouldn't mind a M-246 as an addition eventually, but the MM9 with the CCD for me is a keeper.

Cal

:D

Just saw this.

Gotta be honest, I was not expecting it. This is great news. I am really looking forward to images taken with this new CCD sensor as I'm not totally loving the results from my M240 with the CMOS.
They are just lacking in that sparkle that the CCD gave.

If the new CCD performs, then I can see a used market where the M9 series will be worth more than the M CMOS cameras.

I brought my M9-P to Leica NJ this morning (I live 20 minutes away, so no sense shipping it), to have them check out my RF cam roller, which doesn't seem to be rolling. They came back with a good-news/bad-news story: Good news is that the cam roller is a simple fix (for "only" $250); bad news is my sensor is corroded.
They offered me an upgrade to M-P for $3500 (gulp) or a free sensor replacement, with RF adjustment thrown into the bargain.
They confirmed to me that the updated sensor module has been developed, but it's still in testing, and they don't know when they'll be released and available; so if I want it fixed now I'd be getting a new original sensor. (And "now" is a relative term, as they're taking appointments for September for when they'd be able to fix my camera.)
What to do?....

Sorry to hear about your camera kermaier.

From my understanding, Leica is not developing a new CCD sensor, they are developing a new CCD sensor cover, the clear glass part in front of the CCD. From my understanding, it is the glass cover that develops the corrosion.

I hope they have a good solution because if I ever experience the corrosion on my M-E, I want a CCD sensor module replacement, not a CMOS camera as a replacement.

Hey, if you want to trade your M240 for my corroded M9-P, and wait for the new sensors to arrive at Leica Repair, you'll come out ahead on the deal! :D

I brought my M9-P to Leica NJ this morning (I live 20 minutes away, so no sense shipping it), to have them check out my RF cam roller, which doesn't seem to be rolling. They came back with a good-news/bad-news story: Good news is that the cam roller is a simple fix (for "only" $250); bad news is my sensor is corroded.
They offered me an upgrade to M-P for $3500 (gulp) or a free sensor replacement, with RF adjustment thrown into the bargain.
They confirmed to me that the updated sensor module has been developed, but it's still in testing, and they don't know when they'll be released and available; so if I want it fixed now I'd be getting a new original sensor. (And "now" is a relative term, as they're taking appointments for September for when they'd be able to fix my camera.)
What to do?....

IMHO, just get the free sensor replacement first. If Leica will come out with upgraded sensor, you are also eligible to change again. If you upgrade M9-P now, it is still original sensor anyway.

Also, $3500 is too much for upgrade, it can buy you another very good condition M9-P now.

Sorry to hear about your camera querier.

From my understanding, Leica is not developing a new CCD sensor, they are developing a new CCD sensor cover, the clear glass part in front of the CCD. From my understanding, it is the glass cover that develops the corrosion.

I hope they have a good solution because if I ever experience the corrosion on my M-E, I want a CCD sensor module replacement, not a CMOS camera as a replacement.

Yes, it's just the cover glass; if they replaced the sensor with a different type, then all the rest of the M9's electronics would be incompatible.

IMHO, just get the free sensor replacement first. If Leica will come out with upgraded sensor, you are also eligible to change again. If you upgrade M9-P now, it is still original sensor anyway.

Also, $3500 is too much for upgrade, it can buy you another very good condition M9-P now.

Well, if I get the sensor replacement now, then I can get a new sensor replacement later only if the corrosion recurs -- and who knows if the free replacement policy will still be in place a few years from now?

If I upgrade to an M-P(240) now, it's not the original sensor -- the CMOS sensor doesn't seem to be affected by the same issue as the M9 series CCD sensor package. But I agree: while $3500 is half price for a new M-P(240), it's still too much -- I could probably sell my M-9P for almost that much, and buy a used M240 for only $1000-$1500 more.

It would be an easy decision for me. Get it fixed and then keep on photographing while using the camera I really enjoy.

It sometimes seems to me that it is too easy to over think these things.

If I upgrade to an M-P(240) now, it's not the original sensor -- the CMOS sensor doesn't seem to be affected by the same issue as the M9 series CCD sensor package. But I agree: while $3500 is half price for a new M-P(240), it's still too much -- I could probably sell my M-9P for almost that much, and buy a used M240 for only $1000-$1500 more.

Im really sorry that i misread MP as M9P. So my arguments are no longer valid.
Btw, M240 new in Hongkong costed only usd$4200+ when i checked.

It would be an easy decision for me. Get it fixed and then keep on photographing while using the camera I really enjoy.

It sometimes seems to me that it is too easy to over think these things.

Exactly what I did. My M-E arrived yesterday with a new (original type) sensor.

There is no new CCD. It is the same CCD with a new sensor glass.
I have the CCD w/ new sensor glass few days ago from Wetzlar.
Pretty happy with it.

The first report from someone with the new sensor assembly.

It's great to hear you are pleased with the new unit!

Back