Is the Bessa R my only option?

L is not a rangefinder. It is not very practical for 35/50 mm lenses.
But I had it with Industar 61 l/d and soviet universal finder once. :)

It is cool camera for two reasons. It shows you light meter without getting it to your face and it allows to use it at any time. Not after film is advanced to only realize what you don't need this shot or it is gone. :)

that's why I like my newly acquired FT3.

Thanks everyone for the input!

If anyone is curious about what I ended up doing - I stumbled upon a new eBay listing for a nice-looking Leica M4 in chrome. The BIN price wasn't much more than what a black Bessa R would cost from Japan ($850), so I pulled the trigger.

Funny how GAS works - I just ate my original requirements for lunch (no meter or film back door with this M4). I have to sell some stuff now, but I'm excited!

Wow that's a great price, congrats! Lots of shoe mount meter options out ther if you decide to go for a meter.

Thanks everyone for the input!

If anyone is curious about what I ended up doing - I stumbled upon a new eBay listing for a nice-looking Leica M4 in chrome. The BIN price wasn't much more than what a black Bessa R would cost from Japan ($850), so I pulled the trigger.

Funny how GAS works - I just ate my original requirements for lunch (no meter or film back door with this M4). I have to sell some stuff now, but I'm excited!

Well, that's one camera worth compromising for. :)

I am going to go out left field. If you haven't made a large investment in LTM lenses, I'd say the hell with the whole Rangefinder thing as the prices are insane crazy, especially when you can get a Nikon FM/FE in perfectly working order for about $100. And Nikon lenses are cheap, too. The hipsters or aliens from Mars have completely fouled up the rangefinder prices. I remember just a few years ago, when a perfectly good working order Leica M6 could be had for about $1100, now $2995!! Ok I am ranting, but think about it.

I remember too. I was on the fence deciding if I wanted to buy a certain M6TTL for $1200...... thought I might come across a better price if I were patient. Wrong!

Hey everyone,

I think I spoke too soon - I felt uneasy about how cheap this M4 was and did a reverse Google image search this morning. Sure enough, the listing I purchased is an exact 1-1 copy (same pictures, description, and spelling mistakes) as another eBay seller's listing posted a few months back. That seems looks more legit.

Time to go through the headache that is eBay's customer service... Doesn't help that the seller I bought from is located in Israel, so filing an INR case wouldn't be possible until some time in June (when this "M4" is supposed to arrive).

Needless to say, I am done with fleabay.

Oh man, sorry. I’m sure if you make a strong case you can get it done a lot quicker. If you paid via PayPal, immediately call them or make a case.

I am going to go out left field. If you haven't made a large investment in LTM lenses, I'd say the hell with the whole Rangefinder thing as the prices are insane crazy, especially when you can get a Nikon FM/FE in perfectly working order for about $100. And Nikon lenses are cheap, too. The hipsters or aliens from Mars have completely fouled up the rangefinder prices. I remember just a few years ago, when a perfectly good working order Leica M6 could be had for about $1100, now $2995!! Ok I am ranting, but think about it.

You have a point. I have rangefinders but bought them a while back before completely insane. In fact, should sell some of them. Your suggestion about FM or FM2n is good. or how about something like an ME Super? the problem with less expensive SLR's is that the decent glass sucked up by mirrorless crowd. SLR prices rising too.

Hey everyone,

I think I spoke too soon - I felt uneasy about how cheap this M4 was and did a reverse Google image search this morning. Sure enough, the listing I purchased is an exact 1-1 copy (same pictures, description, and spelling mistakes) as another eBay seller's listing posted a few months back. That seems looks more legit.

Time to go through the headache that is eBay's customer service... Doesn't help that the seller I bought from is located in Israel, so filing an INR case wouldn't be possible until some time in June (when this "M4" is supposed to arrive).

Needless to say, I am done with fleabay.

Sorry to hear about that. I saw a black M4 on ETSY (France) which looked great but price seemed to low. Looked at sellers other items and many higher end cameras. Something wrong here. Moved on.

Thanks for the words, everyone.

I've reached out to eBay and they told me to come back in 14 days if no tracking info has been uploaded. I'm just worried the scammer is going to ship me some useless paper weight as the "M4", and eBay will have no way of doing anything until it gets here. From Israel, it'd take a while.

I've also reached out to the scammer asking to cancel the order. Posing as a headache with a strong inclination to cancel this order/return the item hopefully scares him away.

I have to say it again..If you used PayPal, complain there too providing the images... they are separate from eBay. Also, did you provide eBay the eBay auction where they used the same photos? Seems like they’d know it’s a scam then...

Update: The eBay scammer gave me my money back. I immediately reported his listing and eBay took him down. Odd that he cancelled my order, I'll count my blessings.

On the other hand, I sourced an M2 from Fred Miranda for about $1000. Excited to shoot it once it gets here!

I just bought a Bessa L from the Head Bartender. No finder to worry about, I'll use it with my CV 21/4.5 LTM and the plastic finder. Zone focus if you have to but the lens can be used like a point and shoot needing no focusing in the smaller apertures.

Update: The eBay scammer gave me my money back. I immediately reported his listing and eBay took him down. Odd that he cancelled my order, I'll count my blessings.

On the other hand, I sourced an M2 from Fred Miranda for about $1000. Excited to shoot it once it gets here!

Nice result!

For anyone looking there's a very nice Bessa R2M on Photrio for $900 right now (I'm not the seller nor know the seller)

Back