Is your latest camera strictly necessary?

Local time
10:49 AM
The last camera I bought was a Pentax K-1. I kinda bought it as a less expensive alternative to a Sony. And I have an emotional connection to Pentax's lenses, particularly the SMC-A's of the 80's and 90's that were selling at the time for a song. But I had it out last weekend and found myself asking, "is there something magical about the Pentax pixey dust in these images, or would an older camera have done just as well?"

So I am asking you all: are you getting the quality or ease-of-use jump that you thought you would out of your last purchase?

My last purchase was an Xpan II. It was most certainly not necessary, but I sure am enjoying it. I'm just a hobbyist, though, so to some degree "enjoyment" is the only important result of my photography, and the final images are only part of that.

Ooh, interesting question. My latest camera purchase is an Olympus OM-2n, which is definitely not necessary... especially when I think of acquiring more lenses for the system (I have none but the 50mm 1.8 it came with). In fact I question myself as to why I bought the camera. It's a very nice camera, but it wasn't the most practical purchase.

However, when I read the title of this post, I didn't think of the recent OM-2n, but of my last bigger camera purchase, which, interestingly, is the K-1 Mark II. It's the most expensive camera I've bought (paid around $1400 after recouping the cost of the kit 28-105 which I did not keep), and I'm not made of money. But whenever I consider the wisdom of this expensive and hefty DSLR purchase, I come back with yes, it was worth it. The K-1 scratches the itch of a full-featured, "pure" camera that does everything I could want (except fit into a pocket or small bag!) and impresses me with its IQ even after a year's use. I mean, I've learned it a bit better, such as how the JPEGs leave a lot of the sensor detail on the table. I shoot DNG and convert in DXO PL5, using the Color Fidelity profiles to improve the out-of-the-box color treatment in DXO, and I'm not afraid to shoot quite high ISO and utilize DeepPRIME NR, which works really, really well on these files. Not to mention, there's so much of the Pentax lens stable remaining unexplored and beckoning to me.

So I feel better about my biggest purchase than I do about smaller ones like the Olympus. I may still fall in love with the Oly. We will see.

My most recent purchase was a Sigma SD1M. Enjoying it so far, the reason I bought it was to use my SA lenses with a Merrill sensor, so nothing else would do... and yeah, enjoying using it with manual focus and the OVF (the AF is broken but probably I'd mostly MF anyway).

Yes, the last camera I bought, an Exakta VX IIb last month, is absolutely necessary. It is necessary because I enjoy it.

Just as absolutely necessary as my other Exaktas, Nikons, Canons, Minoltas, Pentaxes, Olympus, Leicas, Hasselblads, Mamiyas, Topcons, Yashicas, Konicas, and a few others.

I don’t buy a camera to “improve my photography“. My photography is pretty good no matter what I use.

I buy cameras because I enjoy using them and enjoy how different each one is.

So I am asking you all: are you getting the quality or ease-of-use jump that you thought you would out of your last purchase?

Interesting question because I had worked my way "up" to a Lumix DC-G9 which has all the bells and whistles plus Dual OS for my shaky hands.

But then I saw a Sigma/Foveon original new-in-box SD9 - a model I had previously owned - and bought it in a flash.

See: The oddest/quirkiest/most unusual camera you have ever used...

So, in my case, my last purchase represented a large ease-of-use drop, not jump.

So, the last camera I bought was a Leica M240 with a few Voigtlander lenses. I have not used a digital rangefinder in over 10 years and I was convinced I was going to love using one again. My other cameras are Fuji X, Fuji GFX and a Ricoh GRIIIx which I really just enjoy using and they work well for me. I expected the M240 to be in this group too. At first, the novelty was there and it felt good. It was fun. However, after about 6 to 7 months, that novelty wore off and I found myself using my other cameras a lot more again. I was forcing myself to use the M240 here and there, but it felt like a chore. My other cameras felt like the opposite. Long story short, I am in the process of selling the M240 and lenses and will just keep using the cameras I was happy with before the M240. So, no, it was not necessary... but maybe it was necessary to go through the process to know that I do not need to use a Leica ever again (unless they make a 50mm Q, but then I'll have to wait 10 years for the right used price).

Last edited:
If I wanted to use legacy lenses designed for 35mm film on digital, the last purchase was necessary. A Nikon Z5, for under $1K. Sold an F3HP with MD-4, fully paid for it. Five F3HP's were not necessary. I sold the nicest, gave away a good user, have 3 left.

So, the last camera I bought was a Leica M240 with a few Voigtlander lenses. I have not used a digital rangefinder in over 10 years and I was convinced I was going to love using one again. My other cameras are Fuji X, Fuji GFX and a Ricoh GRIIIx which I really just enjoy using and they work well for me. I expected the M240 to be in this group too. At first, the novelty was there and it felt good. It was fun. However, after about 6 to 7 months, that novelty wore off and I found myself using my other cameras a lot more again. I was forcing myself to use the M240 here and there, but it felt like a chore. My other cameras felt like the opposite. Long story short, I am in the process of selling the M240 and lenses and will just keep using the cameras I was happy with before the M240. So, no, it was not necessary... but maybe it was necessary to go through the process to know that I do not need to use a Leica ever again (unless they make a 50mm Q).

These may be my feelings after awhile. I haven't used film since 2007 or 2008 but I just bought a couple of Nikon film bodies. At least they were pretty cheap if they don't pan out--not in the Leica range for sure. Film...not so cheap. But I have several rolls of B&W film in the freezer that expired long, long ago that I've been shooting. As of yet I haven't mixed up chemicals to process anything 'cause it's all just doodling and experimenting. I guess I should develop the stuff to make sure the cameras work and to see if the film is still useable.

So "necessary"? Absolutely not. Nothing I've bought in the last several years has been strictly necessary and some of it was downright dumb. But life is a learning curve and I'm kinda a below average student.

My latest camera was Canon RP and it was the lemon.
So, do I need latest model cameras?

Yes and No ... and it depends.

I'm a person who prefers to catch some content, rather than images with accent on latest rendering, higher ISO and some "better" (mostly by DXO marks) "DR".
For content taking - anything from 2009 is good enough to take exposures with. Even earlier Canon 5D is still cult camera.

From this perspective, are newer cameras better? To me, no.
BTW, "EVF is the only future", IMO, is nothing but scam to get away from expensive optical-mechanical parts to dirt cheap electronics.
What are my options for OVF as new now?,,,, Out of touch priced Ms, cropped X100/Pro and old DLSR models.

Staying with old gear?

It depends on how much I trust in camera and manufacturer.
For Canon 5D MKII which is out of support, I could get parts and instruction videos. Shutter replacement is possible as DIY.
What I getting from LCAG for camera made in 2015? In Russian we have three letters not for putting it in writing word, which I could translate as "das stuck from old fashion German zig-zig-machen VHS movies". Do I want to pay most expensive price for worse in industry service with short support span? No. "Solution" is to keep buying latest and selling previous one with thousands in loss. It works as business expense, sure, but I have nothing to do with images sales.

Oh, pul-lease!!! You're asking that question here?!?
I just purchased a Rolleiflex 6006. I am already well stocked with many goodies for two other 6x6 SLR systems, not to mention all the other trinkets in other formats. But I wanted another nightmare of wonky electronics and overpriced lenses. Of course it was strictly necessary!
See the post from Pal K above. I think he pretty much covers it.

A few here do have more than one camera.

True story - When I was a kid, my mom and dad went to a Caribbean island with friends. While there, my dad bought a new Pentax Spotmatic. He was worried about getting it through customs on the way home. He thought that no one would believe that any person would have TWO cameras. So, to avoid paying duty on the Pentax, he threw his Kodak into the ocean (rather than bringing it home to give to his son).

My last digital camera purchase was the M10-P (4-years ago) - upgraded from the M-P 240. Was it "necessary" - no, not really. Performance overall is similar, except the M10-P has better dynamic range and ISO performance. But, as much as I liked the M-P 240, I really do like the M10-P user experience much better (body size, weight, etc.).
DSC_08692.jpg

Similarly, my last film camera purchase was an M6 (last December), which was traded across from an M2 - a completely unnecessary purchase! The M6 was in the first batch produced in 1984 and unused (from an estate sale). As much as I love the M2 (my favorite M), I don't miss it that much. The M6 will likely be my last Leica film camera purchase - at least that's what I'm telling myself.
DSC_0967 copy.jpg

My last camera purchase was my Super Ikonta. That's a fun 6x4.5 pocket rocket with a delightful Tessar lens.

Before that were my two digital cameras so realistically my "last" camera that I got was definitely my most important to me: my Leica M Type 240. Prior to that I upgraded my Nikon digital from a D5300 to a D7100. That's a really nice camera too. I may get a D700 get but that has more to do with wide angle lenses than any flaw in the D7100. OTOH, a Z5 might be a better long term investment. Much to ponder.

The last camera I bought was a Sony A7Riii, used. I am amazed at the photos I can get using my FE90 2.8 Macro lens on it. I now have 3 cameras that all take the same battery, and one that doesn't, but that's life. I like having options, what can I say.
DSC08169 (2).JPG

Last edited:
My last camera bought (just) was a used Panasonic S1R specifically for the the quality and ease-of-use jump.

Ease-of-use in that I was hoping I could slim down from a couple of systems to one system and that the eye AF would increase quality as would the 120fps EVF (and OIS) to aid in focusing adapted lenses for increase quality due to more precise focusing and stabilization.

The eye AF works shockingly well and with the 24-105 nails focus extremely fast. Just shot a prom with it and the AF keeper rate was perfect with the iris being the point of focus every time for the portraits. Every other time I've shot something like this I get a least a couple of shots missed focus.

This was a glow themed dance so very low light. I used a Minolta 58mm f1.2 for most of the dance and was shooting around ISO 10,000 at f1.2 or f2 with shutter speeds around 1/30 to 1/60 to give a sense of how dark it was. Even in that light the EVF didn't look like an EVF, it felt like a SLR just that the image was brighter and still very fluid. Focusing the Minolta was stupid easy, way easier than an actual SLR would have been in that light. The EVF really doesn't look like you are looking at a screen, it is that good.

Camera supports alternative aspect ratios including 2:1 and 65:24 and has an extremely high resolution mode.

There are a few quirks with the camera such as no EFC with adapted lenses, AF point choices are limited with other ARs and third party support is more limited with things like tilt/shift adapters and nothing like the TechArt AF adapter for M lenses.

At this point I am thrilled with the purchase. Looking to slim down even more equipment to focus more on one system. Sigma is making some very interesting i-Series lenses for the Panasonic. I like L-mount in that if Sigma ever gets a new mirrorless Foveon out the door any lenses for the Panasonic will be native mount for that too.

My last camera bought was a Rajar box camera, a beast so obtuse that I had to get a friend to 3D print adapters so it would take 120 film.
Of course it was necessary!

Yes because it has got me thinking about photography again and even though it's a digicam (Sony A7ii) it is allowing me to use my OM lenses. This has subsequently triggered an interest in analog and I suspect that I am going to find a way in the not too distant future to start using some of the film that lurks in my freezer and search for that bottle of Rodinal I know I have somewhere. 🙂

Back