J12 on a Sony alpha 6000

ray*j*gun

Mentor
Local time
2:44 AM
Has any used a Jupiter 12 on their Sony Alpha bodies. I have a decent LTM adapter but am concerned about the rear element hitting the sensor. Thanks guys!

I could never make that combo work, the rear of the lens contacted part of the camera body next to the sensor. Same issue with the other APS-C cameras that I had, the NEX5 and NEX7. The J-12 mounts just fine on my 2 cameras with full frame sensors.

Is this peculiar to the J12 or all Russian LTM's. or t LTM's in general??
In my experience, it only applies to the J-12 and CZJ Biogons, the rear element is just too big. All my other LTMs, even the Canon 19mm in LTM, worked fine. The ability to use just about any LTM lens is what initially attracted me to the Sony cameras. I have used all sorts of LTM Canons, Nikkors, CZJs and Jupiters on the Sony APS-C cameras without issue.

The Jupiter 12 is particularly... thicc at the rear, in modern parlance. Most LTMs - Soviet or otherwise - are nowhere near as problematic when adapting them to other cameras.

I've used the Kiev J12 via adapter on an X-Pro 2 - it mounts and focuses to infinity fine. For some reason, the LTM one won't. I just double checked with an LTM-to-X adapter and it hits something inside at 3m and won't focus any further than that.

In my experience, it only applies to the J-12 and CZJ Biogons, the rear element is just too big. All my other LTMs, even the Canon 19mm in LTM, worked fine. The ability to use just about any LTM lens is what initially attracted me to the Sony cameras. I have used all sorts of LTM Canons, Nikkors, CZJs and Jupiters on the Sony APS-C cameras without issue.

Guys, thanks a heap. I can breathe a lot easier now, truly.

It's usually the light baffles that the rear element runs in to. I've thought of using one on my Z5 but am still not convinced it will clear. Waiting for someone else to do it first.

PF

I just attached my 1950 LTM J-12 to my Nikon Z6, it fits and focuses. Also attached a couple of LTM Biogons.

The ability to use just about any LTM lens is what initially attracted me to the Sony cameras.

Same here. LTM, M42, Nikon F, Olympus OM, Canon FD, Nikon RF.... I went through a phase of trying everything I could get an adaptor for, on my a6000! Sadly, the J12 was an exception.

Thank you all for your feedback. Agree that all my other LTM lenses work well on my a6000. I'll just have to forgo the J12 on that camera.

I recently bought a Fuji X-Pro 3 and the J12 works great on it as well as my A7iii. Too bad about the A6000 it would be a tiny rig with a lot of punch!!

Back