January 6th is RFF Remembrance Day

CameraQuest

Head Bartender
Staff member
Local time
6:13 AM
My dear friend Tom Abrahamsson passed away January 6th 2017, a giant of the RFF community and of the Leica world. More importantly he was one hell of a nice guy,.

What did I do to honor Tom this January 6th? I was too busy with not much of anything to notice. I don't feel right about that.

For RFF, January 6th will be Remembrance day not only for Tom but for all our members we have lost.

Their RFF postings helps remind all of the wonderful people who have left these earthly bounds.

Please feel free to share thoughts about those you miss.

Stephen

This is a great idea. It is always a sad event when I read here about a RFF member passing away. So is life.

Yes, TomA was a great influence on me as I delved back into my photography roots and started shooting rangefinders again. Though I got into a couple of kerfuffle's with Roger Hicks he also was a great help. Good idea to start a Remembrance Day here on RFF, Stephen.

PF

I was shocked when I learned that Tom A had passed away… I knew he’d been ill for some time, but the end seemed so abrupt and final. He was so kind and generous with his knowledge. In many, many threads here, he’d chime in and share his expertise in an understated way. And he was very kind to me too. I’m still in touch w/ Tuulikki on Flickr, who is a fine photographer in her own right.

Tom A was a knowledgeable nice guy…., also Al Kaplan, the one had photos with Clinton and Bush too. I still have Al’s Minolta Autocord I restored.

Please feel free to share thoughts about those you miss.
I knew Tom quite well and think of him often. I also miss Blake Billings/Nikonosguy, Al Kaplan and Sparrow. Also the incredibly talented and tenacious Colton Allen/Swift1, who died last year of ALS/motor neurone disease way too young.

As I age I often feel like I’m slowly being stripped of layers and that in the end, when I myself go, it will be because there is nothing, no living connection, left. But the dead, they seem to ever return to me.

Marty

Becoming older means you realize more than years before, that you constantly lose more and more near and far relatives and friends, as well as knowledge carriers in several disciplines.
My nearest one is my dad, who was also into photography and additionally collecting old photographic gear. He is gone 2019 and I miss him still very often.

I think a Remembrance Day is a great idea (wish it didn't have to be Jan 6th as here in the States that has another meaning).

I miss Tom, he brought me to this site fourteen years ago and I will always be grateful for that, and his kind advice and sense of humor. Speaking of senses of humor, I loved Roger Hicks', his rapier-like British wit always put a smile on my face. And I truly miss Colton. He had such a gift, gone way too soon.

Best,
-Tim

• Sad
Reactions: dct
Al Kaplan's blog The Price of Silver is still live. Over the last few days I've been slowly reading through his posts between 2005 and 2009, and I'm glad he took the time to write them. Lots of cool stuff in there. I only wish he uploaded slightly larger pictures. Looking back now, to me it seems he invented the selfie with his 15mm Heliar on an M Leica.
I well remember from the time he was around here his love for his darkroom, printing, and of course his cup of Starbucks coffee.

Back