Japan 2018

SimonSawSunlight

Simon Fabel
Local time
10:39 PM
hello there,
i've been a member of this forum for 10 years now. i know that i don't post here nearly enough in recent years, but i'll share a small selection of pictures from my recent stay in japan with you, and you can tell us or ask me anything, of course.

Thanks Simon, good to see you're still shooting!

This is the first time I've seen your colour work, have you always shot colour and black and white, or is it a new thing for you?

thank you very much, lads.

Thanks Simon, good to see you're still shooting!

This is the first time I've seen your colour work, have you always shot colour and black and white, or is it a new thing for you?

I do shoot colour (digital) for assignments etc. all the time, but it is my first time shooting colour film since probably 2012.

Some really excellent shots Simon!! Heard from Jon that you left just before I got there. From the looks of the images, it seems like a fruitful trip.

Cheers,

Great set. The bar is high.

I had very little time for photography over my last two trips to Japan. I still need to go through the latest set, but I don’t think there was a single photo worthy of showing in this thread. There’s always the next trip, though.

Thanks for these Simon. I particularly like the images shot through windows, a technique I enjoy myself. Very interesting for me in particular they are interesting as I am considering a trip to Japan.

I have long had an interest in Japanese history so my preferred trip, apart from city locations which of course has to be part of the experience and which I have been contemplating for some time is to see some of the interesting historical and cultural places. Especially some of the out of the way places - somewhere for example like the Nakasendo Way which is one of the ancient feudal foot highways through the mountains which ran from Edo (Tokyo) to Kyoto. In particular there are still some old villages maintained much as they were in the mid 19th century and earlier. Now that should provoke some interesting photography I hope. There are also a few "samurai residences" spread around the country too - old traditional streets which were once occupied by samurai and which have been maintained in traditional style. And of course, Kyoto.

The only thing giving me pause is the language barrier. May I ask if this was a problem for you - the Japanese are renowned as friendly and helpful but with limited access to the English language.

Thanks for these Simon. I particularly like the images shot through windows, a technique I enjoy myself. Very interesting for me in particular they are interesting as I am considering a trip to Japan.

I have long had an interest in Japanese history so my preferred trip, apart from city locations which of course has to be part of the experience and which I have been contemplating for some time is to see some of the interesting historical and cultural places. Especially some of the out of the way places - somewhere for example like the Nakasendo Way which is one of the ancient feudal foot highways through the mountains which ran from Edo (Tokyo) to Kyoto. In particular there are still some old villages maintained much as they were in the mid 19th century and earlier. Now that should provoke some interesting photography I hope. There are also a few "samurai residences" spread around the country too - old traditional streets which were once occupied by samurai and which have been maintained in traditional style. And of course, Kyoto.

The only thing giving me pause is the language barrier. May I ask if this was a problem for you - the Japanese are renowned as friendly and helpful but with limited access to the English language.

if you can communicate, language won't stop you in japan. people will go out of their way to help you and all in all, they seem to have put a bit of an effort in facilitating things for international visitors, at least in tokyo, since i last visited.
i have the luxury of having a couple of very helpful friends in japan, but even without any of them around, i don't think i'd ever feel lost or helpless in japan.

PS: beer is my first language, most japanese speak that.

Simon: Those pix have a lot of heart, and also mix the perspective of an outsider with that of a good eye for pattern and composition. There is a lot going on there. I too loved Japan when I visited. I assume you did, because of the evident affection in your photographs as well.

Great work!
The girl in white, waiting is particularly arresting.
Thanks for sharing these.

Cheers,
Andrew

I see a very real portrait of Japan!
Yes! Truly yours with a definite sense of photographic command.
The images in color or BW are superb.
Your site well worth watching.
Congrats.

Back