Jon Goodman Contact Information- for those looking for Light Seal Kits and Double-Sided tape.

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
4:32 PM
Boojum recently posted a problem with his Leica M9 having the cover glass separate. If that happened to me, I'd use some of Jon Goodman's Double Sticky tape to try a fix. In the past I've used this tape for J-3 repair where the taps for the set screws were hopelessly stripped. I have one sheet left. Went to "Interslice" on Ebay, Jon's business: he has stopped selling camera repair supplies, only sells watches.

However- Jon does have some of the double sided tape and Light Seal kits available. Jon has given permission to post his contact information here.

[email protected]

"Back when RFF was Young", many of us bought Jon's kits to replace light seals in a lot of cameras. There are none better than the ones he sold. Getting custom foam and tape got much more expensive for him, and he has slowed down on production. SO- of you need the kits, get them while you can.

Yes, a great guy -- wonderful to deal with. His light seals and their instructions are exemplary. I should check out his watches -- some years ago I bought a Vostok Komandirskie (sadly now kaput) but they're fun items.

I have had a short dialog with Jon. He is a great guy in the emails, helpful and willing to share his copious knowledge. He laid out the double-sided tape solution vs the contact cement solution, pros and cons, for me. He could not have been a nicer guy.

Jon used to give a nice little pamphlet on replacing seals on various cameras when you bought his material. I still have a copy and refer to it when ever I need to replace seals (don't do it much anymore my hands are too insteady). A real top notch guy.

At the end-up Jon recommended a small amount of contact cement applied along the circumferential ridge opposed to the double-sided tape on the surface which he cautioned as very hard to apply correctly and prone to getting bubbles and rendering the view of the back screen similar to looking through dishwater. Now I am not the sharpest knife on the tree but I took this as good advice and will get a small tube of contact cement as he has advised. I have never done this. I suspect he has done this quite a few times. It is really great to have been led to Jon and then to find him so knowledgeable and helpful. "Humility is not making yourself small. Humility is becoming teachable." I'm trying. ;o)

I am sure he warned you to NOT use crazy glue, but put that up for the benefit of anyone else with this problem.

For the double-sticky, I would have tried only the edges using his tape.

But- using the contact glue lightly and only at the edges is great advice from the master.

I am sure he warned you to NOT use crazy glue, but put that up for the benefit of anyone else with this problem.

For the double-sticky, I would have tried only the edges using his tape.

But- using the contact glue lightly and only at the edges is great advice from the master.
Yes, contact cement, that sticky, runny stuff that used to come in a small tube with a screw-in stopper way back at the dawn of time. ;o) He also advised that the contact cement can be dissolved, cleaned and removed with mineral spirits and that I had 10 - 15 minutes after applying before it was set.

I plan to use the smallest smidgen in a few spots around the edge rim and not enough to ooze into and onto the screen surface. I believe that the application will be with a toothpick and be done judiciously, very judiciously.

I have a dozen batteries for this M9, and the M8.2, so you know I want to keep it running as well and as long as I can. FWIW, I was looking through some M9 image folders and while I was not necessarily overwhelmed with the artistic content I was, again, impressed with the color and image quality. There is some guy in this board who is a big M9 fan, I just can't seem to remember his name . . . LOL

"There is some guy in this board who is a big M9 fan"

Let me know when you remember who it is! Actually, I think there are several of us.... I now count you as one of them.

According to a thread from last month the Pentax Forums, Jon Goodman is no longer making light seal kids due to ill health. Does anybody here know any alternative sources? I have a Minolta XG-M with crumbling seals I'd like to replace.

Jon stopped making the seals a while ago- but had some left. He had been selling Watches and other items on Ebay when I contacted him for the double-sided tape.

I'm sorry to hear about his health problems.

Has anyone tried the US camera light seal kits?
If so please review/provide feedback.

TIA,
Chris
Yes, I bought one for my Konica Auto S3. I also bought some of the non-kit stuff to make my own seals for a couple others.
The quality of their stuff is very good.

However, it is just going to get gooey again with time.
So, I have switched to using felt and cotton yarn instead.
I get the felt here:
Living Felt

Yes, I bought one for my Konica Auto S3. I also bought some of the non-kit stuff to make my own seals for a couple others.
The quality of their stuff is very good.

However, it is just going to get gooey again with time.
So, I have switched to using felt and cotton yarn instead.
I get the felt here:
Living Felt
Yes, cotton yarn works very well and is easy to install. I use it along with adhesive flocking tape.

I recently bought a set of seals for my Mamiya C220 from Hugo Studio.
I liked what they sent...pretty sure I only ordered one set but there was enough material to do two.
They have a list of supported bodies...might be worth a look...

I had what some would call a minor disaster but what I call a major disaster a few months back. The protective screen on the back of the M9 was sticking in there just fine so, and this will sound really stupid because it is, I figured I could just let it go and not fix it. Yes, the inevitable happened, the outer, protective screen disappeared. I looked where I thought it would be and where I thought it should be and did not find it. So I ordered a protective screen to apply in its place, one of those generic thin film to-fit for cameras. And I never quite got around to applying it and lo and behold what do I find last night? Yup, the screen. I cleaned it and applied it and it will remain on the back but I have no real faith in it staying there.

So I am trying the suggested Jon Goodman contact cement. I will get some and apply the tiniest amount in the corners. Before that I will polish the scratches out of the screen with the wonderful Happich Simichrome which can polish scratches out of plastic. Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish which I use to take the haze off my headlights once a year will also do the job but I have a tube of Simichrome handy.

You know I want this M9 running as long as I am. Regardless of what others may say, I believe the color in this camera, and the M8's, is something special. Now let me find the contact cement.

Back