July 2014: The end of the Epson R-D1 series

bennyng

Benny Ng
Local time
10:02 PM
A sad day....

Epson officially announce the cessation of the production of the R-D1 series of digital rangefinders. Limited quantities of existing stocks R-D1x will be available for sale.

Here's the Epson statement on the ProSelection Blog (in Japanese).

http://proselection.weblogs.jp/epson_proselection_blog/2014/03/r-d1xg-275a.html

The inevitable has finally come. However, I'm sure it will still remain a cult classic.

Cheers,

Epson did an incredible job of designing and producing the camera in partnership with Cosina.

Epson also did an incredible job of destroying any RD-1 commercial success in the marketplace with monumentally inept marketing.

Stephen

Epson did an incredible job of designing and producing the camera in partnership with Cosina.

Epson also did an incredible job of destroying any RD-1 commercial success in the marketplace with monumentally inept marketing.

Stephen

Ain't that the truth!

I had fun with mine. And somehow by coincidence, another RFF member resuscitated only a couple of days ago a thread on the R-D1 that I had started 6 years ago.

Mmmmh I thought it was out of production for years - but maybe we get now a R-D2 with FF sensor?

It would have to have at least 40MP, HD video, wifi, bluetooth, GPS, 100% accurate framelines, live view, accept all lenses from all eras without adapters, image stabilisation, fit in a shirt pocket, a silent shutter tested to 500,000 cycles, be capable of producing completely clean images at f16 in complete darkness. I don't think i'ts going to happen :)

Amazing camera. They could have updated the sensor and actually advertise it, instead of stopping the production.

Even though the message does not surprise me, how do you know that 'Yusuke' in the blog is speaking on behalf of Epson Japan?

As far as I can tell, the blog is Epson's official blog, and Yusuke guy states that he's the marketing guy for Pro-Selection division of Epson in his 1st post.

Marketing ;)

Versatility. Image quality. Sensor size. Lens selection. And marketing.

The R-D1 was/is a great camera with which to shoot. I sold mine for an X-camera because I needed a work camera. Fuji makes those. Epson never really did.

Back