July 2014: The end of the Epson R-D1 series

What is (has been) service like on these cameras? Is there a US shop -and continued support? And, what might this "end" mean in this regard?

It's my understanding that Epson is no longer servicing the R-D1, but will continue to service the newer R-D1s, x for a while yet. This was already the case when I bought the camera, I think. It was serviced by the previous owner by Epson in Japan just before I bought it. I understand there are still places in the US that will work on them, but parts would maybe have to come from a donor camera. Anyone more knowledgable please feel free to correct me.

Epson Japan won't service the R-D1 anymore. With R-D1s, servicing stops in 2016. As for the R-D1xG, servicing will continue until 2021. Parts should still be readily available for R-D1s/x. As for servicing in USA, I believe Steve's camera handles most of them nowadays. I personally didn't have previous experience with Steve's camera, I'm sure other members of the group can provide better info about that.

Epson Japan won't service the R-D1 anymore. With R-D1s, servicing stops in 2016. As for the R-D1xG, servicing will continue until 2021. Parts should still be readily available for R-D1s/x. As for servicing in USA, I believe Steve's camera handles most of them nowadays. I personally didn't have previous experience with Steve's camera, I'm sure other members of the group can provide better info about that.

1. I bought my RD1s used about 6 years ago from a guy who had it serviced at Steve's Camera - he was pleased with their service.

2. RD1s is my favorite camera, period. most unique and fun to use!

3. Who knows? Perhaps the Seiko-Epson collaboration is the winning combo? Matching a predominantly watch manufacturer with a predominantly printing tech company. What could be next? a Rolex-Leica joint venture on the high end? or on the low-end: a Swatch and Lomo marriage? :p

Isn't it RFF has done a lot of marketing for Epson? Nowhere else can you find user information and sample pics than here.

When everything is said and done, the R-D1 -and later models, continue to produce pictures that stand-out. I cherish all three models and will use them as long as possible. Re rangefinder allignment, I am looking into possibilities to have a well-known lens repairer -with a background in the optics industry, to service the R-D1 in Bucharest.

Now the product is long dead, they should open the firmware source code.

There's one hack that I'd love to see, repurposing the top dial that selects image type (R/H/N) to select the "film type" in the settings (1/2/3). Then I would have no reason at all anymore to ever flip the display out ;)

On mechanical camera's you could do quite a bit of hacking, but on digital ones it's become much harder...

Regards,
Vic

Back