Jupiter 12 to Contax iia compatibility

Yuri at fedka.com says that this lens is a copy of the pre-war Biogon, designed to mount on pre-war Contax copies such as the Kiev, and therefore won't mount on post-war Contax cameras such as the IIa. A pity, since it's a great lens.

The post-war Biogon will work, but a quick glance at auction site prices shows them running between $500 and $800. Gulp!

Unfortunately, not many good and inexpensive options for 35mm focal length for Contax IIa and IIIa cameras. The pre-war CZJ f3.5 Orthometar and post-war East German CZJ f2.8 Biometar will fit, but are kinda rare and expensive, as is the post-war f3.5 Planar. The S-mount Nikons of f1.8, f 2.5 and f 3.5 and are great lenses and work well on Contax IIa and IIIa, but are expensive, too. The CV lenses are good too, but not cheap either. I think that Tanak or Komura made 3.5 cm lenses for Contax/Nikon mount, but I have never used one.

I've already asked this and the following are the suggestions I was given:
Carl Zeiss Biogon 35mm f2.8 (post war)
Carl Zeiss Planar 35mm f3.5
Voigtlander S-C Skopar 35mm f2.5
Also Nikkor S mount lenses
W-Nikkor 35mm f1.8
W-Nikkor 35mm f2.5
W-Nikkor 35mm f3.5

Good luck.

I've adjusted Nikkor S-Mount wide-angle lenses for the Contax- typically the shim need to be reduced slightly for optimal focus. Most likely will not notice when stopped down. The F2.5 lens- used wide-open made a difference.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your advice and knowledge. I did find a Biogon F1:2.8 but the listing included 'Sold out'.
I will continue to use your suggestions in my quest.
D. Lox

I have a 35mm Zeiss Biometar in parts...waiting to clean some fungus from behind the front lens....not as easy as I thought. But the Jupiter 12 on the Contax I or II is super!

I am comparing the CZJ Biometar 35 f2.8 to the Jupiter 12 using a Contax I(e) at the moment. It may be possible to post the resulting pictures on this site.

The Nikon RF wides will work fine, some of the slower ones can be had for less than $300 - not cheap, but darn good lenses and cheaper than Contax. The Zeiss post-war Planar is usually a little cheaper than the post-war Biogon, although not so common - they do come up for sale regularly on eBay. The CV 35/2.8 in Nikon RF mount is fairly reasonably priced for what it is.

My Contax IIa was modified so the Jupiter-12 fits.

It's simple: whoever did the modification, drilled the inside chamber (drilled part of the pieces that cover out the shutter curtain) so the rear element of the Jupiter-12 can enter inside.

Thus i can use the J-12, and I do have one attached to it right now.

My Contax IIa was modified so the Jupiter-12 fits.

It's simple: whoever did the modification, drilled the inside chamber (drilled part of the pieces that cover out the shutter curtain) so the rear element of the Jupiter-12 can enter inside.

Thus i can use the J-12, and I do have one attached to it right now.
Hello. Would you please show us your mod? Upper and lower part of the cover should be grinded off, am I correct? Thank you very much for your kind reply.

Back