Kentmere 400, latest samples

First couple of rolls developed in Rodinal. I knew that wouldn't be the ideal developer for this film from what I had read. It's not like some of the other 400-speed budget films I've developed. Fomapan 400, Bergger 400, Holga 400 (which might just be Foma) all get very grainy, but in an aesthetic way. By contrast, Kentmere 400 looks muddy and low-contrast in Rodinal, with blocky shadows. I'll add some shots later when I can, but I plan on reaching for different devs in the future. K400 controls its grain really well, it just wants something which can deal with shadows in a subtler way than Rodinal, and a bit more contrast.

First couple of rolls developed in Rodinal. I knew that wouldn't be the ideal developer for this film from what I had read. It's not like some of the other 400-speed budget films I've developed. Fomapan 400, Bergger 400, Holga 400 (which might just be Foma) all get very grainy, but in an aesthetic way. By contrast, Kentmere 400 looks muddy and low-contrast in Rodinal, with blocky shadows. I'll add some shots later when I can, but I plan on reaching for different devs in the future. K400 controls its grain really well, it just wants something which can deal with shadows in a subtler way than Rodinal, and a bit more contrast.
Although I haven't tried out my Kentmere 400 yet , I feel that after seeing all the pictures posted in this thread by Dourbalistar, it appears that a developer like HC-110, LegacyPro L110 or Ilfotech-HC is probably the best bet, at least for me.

@agentlossing, did you shoot at box speed? I've found that Kentmere Pan 400 can get muddy, blocky shadows with underexposure. Perhaps that's exacerbated by a speed losing developer like Rodinal? For what it's worth, I generally overexpose a bit, as it seems the film handles slightly overexposed highlights better than slightly underexposed shadows.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2022.07.03 Roll #310-07217-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

@agentlossing, did you shoot at box speed? I've found that Kentmere Pan 400 can get muddy, blocky shadows with underexposure. Perhaps that's exacerbated by a speed losing developer like Rodinal? For what it's worth, I generally overexpose a bit, as it seems the film handles slightly overexposed highlights better than slightly underexposed shadows.

Nikon FM2n, AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8S, Kentmere Pan 400, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2022.07.03 Roll #310-07217-positive.jpg by dourbalistar, on Flickr
I did get a few underexposed shots with blocky shadows like that, but most of my shadows were just mid-dark-gray looking and muddy.

I did get a few underexposed shots with blocky shadows like that, but most of my shadows were just mid-dark-gray looking and muddy.
Hopefully another developer will help? Here's an example with slightly muddy shadows. I think I metered for the lake hoping to not blow out the sky, and let the shadows fall where they may...

2022.07.12 Roll #311-07242-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back